Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pretty sure I know the answer...slipping clutch symptom

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Pretty sure I know the answer...slipping clutch symptom

Ok, so I recently finished my H/C/I upgrade on my Z06 and started experiencing the sticking clutch syndrome shortly after. I did have one run last week where it felt like it might have slipped at the top of 4th too. I went to the strip last week and couldn't shift into 3rd (only got 1 run in that night due to a busy track). Ordered the Tick adj. master to try and fix the sticking clutch and installed it today. I have already tried swapping out the fluid and bleeding it to cure the sticking to no avail. After the new master there is no more sticking but I think it's slipping now. It will grip fine during 1st gear roll from 1st-3rd and then once I'm getting up to about 5K in 4th gear then the rpms shoot up to redline pretty quick. I did about 3 runs today with the new master and although it didn't happen the first run it did happen the second two times. It's a stock LS6 clutch with 31K miles which I know isn't going to last long with this much power (unless it's already toast!) but just wanted to verify what's happening. I'm pretty much a clutch newb (never had to swap one).
Old 09-26-2009, 07:04 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red99TA
Ok, so I recently finished my H/C/I upgrade on my Z06 and started experiencing the sticking clutch syndrome shortly after. I did have one run last week where it felt like it might have slipped at the top of 4th too. I went to the strip last week and couldn't shift into 3rd (only got 1 run in that night due to a busy track). Ordered the Tick adj. master to try and fix the sticking clutch and installed it today. I have already tried swapping out the fluid and bleeding it to cure the sticking to no avail. After the new master there is no more sticking but I think it's slipping now. It will grip fine during 1st gear roll from 1st-3rd and then once I'm getting up to about 5K in 4th gear then the rpms shoot up to redline pretty quick. I did about 3 runs today with the new master and although it didn't happen the first run it did happen the second two times. It's a stock LS6 clutch with 31K miles which I know isn't going to last long with this much power (unless it's already toast!) but just wanted to verify what's happening. I'm pretty much a clutch newb (never had to swap one).

well, from what you are descring, it sounds like a clutch slipping.

But, first things first. Is teh PEDAL sticking to floor (which would indicate a hydro issue) or teh clutch actually slipping?
You say that it slips in 4th gear only??
Have you tried this:
Go out, lug the motor, put it in 5th or 6th at a low speed, floor it to see if the clutch slips?
Old 09-26-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Gen414
well, from what you are descring, it sounds like a clutch slipping.

But, first things first. Is teh PEDAL sticking to floor (which would indicate a hydro issue) or teh clutch actually slipping?
You say that it slips in 4th gear only??
Have you tried this:
Go out, lug the motor, put it in 5th or 6th at a low speed, floor it to see if the clutch slips?
No, the sticking issue is gone now that the new master is in. I only did 3 runs and it happened in 4th on the last two of them. I'll try lugging the motor to see if it does it then too.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:11 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Red99TA
No, the sticking issue is gone now that the new master is in. I only did 3 runs and it happened in 4th on the last two of them. I'll try lugging the motor to see if it does it then too.

Oh ok...yeah, sounds like a clutch issue. Can't see your sig right now to see what car you have, but if in need of a clutch...you can hop on my link (Im a dealer for Monster clutches obviously)

Any questions, PM/email or call.
Thanks, and GL
Old 09-26-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Well I just did some uphill 6th gear pulls starting at about 1300 rpms and it's not slipping at all. Is it possible that it's only slipping at high rpms?
Old 09-26-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a LS7 clutch in the car, already ordered a monster 3.5 since I had similar symptoms.

Pedal had the sticking effect at high rpm and consecutive shifts for pretty much a year now. It passes the lug test in 5th and 6th, but its fairly obvious in 1st and 2nd gear that it's "slipping". First there's that feel that acceleration isn't constant. Second is the effect that quick shifts into the next gear aren't quite what they used to be.

While you may have a hard time telling it's happening in the lower gears, 3rd and 4th tend to show it more since it takes longer to climb thru the rpm. It will propagate downwards though. My LS1 clutch went through the same symptoms, 5th and 6th always passed the lower ones felt fishy until finally you can actually see it in the tach vs speedo where the rpm does a wave of going up in spurts.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

if the disk is bad then it will fail the lug high gear test. if the pressure plate is the cause then thats could cause the high rpm and eratic shifting problem. not that those are the only two things possible, but if its not a hydro problem then most likely its one of those causing it
Old 09-28-2009, 12:08 PM
FormerVendor

It's most likely time for a new clutch. The Ls6 clutch is not designed to hold the power you are making and for the style of driving you like. Feel free to give me a call at the shop if you have any questions I can help you answer.

Matt
817-750-2000
Old 09-28-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Matt@SNLPerformance
It's most likely time for a new clutch. The Ls6 clutch is not designed to hold the power you are making and for the style of driving you like. Feel free to give me a call at the shop if you have any questions I can help you answer.

Matt
817-750-2000
Thanks Matt,
I've read a lot of good things about your Monster clutches recently. It might be the route I take but honestly I'm done working on the car for this year. The clutch is going to have to be a spring project which I'm DREADING!

Quick Reply: Pretty sure I know the answer...slipping clutch symptom