Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How to proceed with shop after wrong fluid installed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to proceed with shop after wrong fluid installed...

As the title says, I have the wrong fluid in my transmission. I recently had my clutch/flywheel changed, and when I picked up the car the shop said they put shop grade ATF in the transmission. I had AMS Oil full synthetic. How would you proceed? The shop said they would change the fluid if I brought them some new AMS Oil.

How would you address the concern of synthetic to non-synthetic?

How would you be sure to remove all the non-synthetic?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:07 AM
On The Tree

Did you specify what fluid you wanted back in the transmission when you dropped it off? If not, you don't have a complaint.

Draining the fluid is part of dropping the transmission. No sense for them to put your old fluid back in instead of some new stuff. These came from the factory with non-synthetic dex3 atf. If they didn't know you wanted any different, what else are they gonna put back in?

On a manual when you drain it you get all of the old fluid out, there is a plug at the bottom of the transmission. So if you want Amsoil back in there, all you do is have them drain it, and fill it back up. If they don't charge you labor for it, they have some damn fine customer service, cause if I were doing it, I would.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

+1 to the above post.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by joeboulley
As the title says, I have the wrong fluid in my transmission. I recently had my clutch/flywheel changed, and when I picked up the car the shop said they put shop grade ATF in the transmission. I had AMS Oil full synthetic. How would you proceed? The shop said they would change the fluid if I brought them some new AMS Oil.

How would you address the concern of synthetic to non-synthetic?

How would you be sure to remove all the non-synthetic?

Uh, if you want AMS, drain the stuff that is in it (they put what teh factory calls for in it) and put your stuff in.

To make sure it is all out? Well, IMPOSSIBLE to get all out, without a rebuild take tranny down, UNLESS you do the following.

Drain it, add your stuff. Run it. Drain it. Add your stuff. Run it. Drain it. Add your stuff. After a few times of that, you should have gotten it out. Now, if you ask me that is a waste of time. Just drain it, add your stuff, and call it done.

Next time, just make sure you tell a shop what you want in there, or give them up front the fluid you want in. They did nothing wrong in this instance.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Teching In

I guess everyong is right, assuming that the shop didn't know that I had AMS Oil synthetic; but the fact that they did know and forgot to read the work order changes the situation.

Don't ***-u-me anything because it will make an *** out of me and U.

I still think it is correct to proceed as it was mentioned in the first response. I will buy the fluid I want, pull the drain plug, let it sit for a day and maybe even play around with the angle of the car to get extra fluid out, and install the new fluid.

Come on people, it's just a fluid change in a transmission. I wasn't going to take this one to the supreme court for a new transmission.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:22 AM

I guess everyong is right, assuming that the shop didn't know that I had AMS Oil synthetic; but the fact that they did know and forgot to read the work order changes the situation.

Don't ***-u-me anything because it will make an *** out of me and U.

I still think it is correct to proceed as it was mentioned in the first response. I will buy the fluid I want, pull the drain plug, let it sit for a day and maybe even play around with the angle of the car to get extra fluid out, and install the new fluid.

Come on people, it's just a fluid change in a transmission. I wasn't going to take this one to the supreme court for a new transmission.
Hey, you asked a questions. They gave you an answer. If you cant handle that, don't ask in the first place and waist their time.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Teching In

If it is a waste of their time they should not reply. I never said I couldn't handle their answer, in fact I appreciate the answers given. I was merely correcting the assumption that the shop didn't know about the fluid type.

But I will waste your time and tell you to find a dictionary;

The waist is the part of the abdomen between the rib cage and hips.

you =>
Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

If it is a waste of their time they should not reply. I never said I couldn't handle their answer, in fact I appreciate the answers given. I was merely correcting the assumption that the shop didn't know about the fluid type.

But I will waste your time and tell you to find a dictionary;

The waist is the part of the abdomen between the rib cage and hips.

you =>
Old 10-07-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn you guys are ruthless. Why dont you go ahead and kick him in the nuts too.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:38 PM
FormerVendor

I. I will buy the fluid I want, pull the drain plug, let it sit for a day and maybe even play around with the angle of the car to get extra fluid out, and install the new fluid.

Doing that will not get anymore fluid out than letting it sit for 20 or 30 minutes with plug out. If you want all teh fluid out, you are gonna HAVE to change the angle on the tranny DRAMTICALLY getting it out that way. When take a tranny out to do a clutch, I drain fluid, but as soon as you tilt it after unbolting it, an easy quart or so will come out....
Old 10-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gen414
Doing that will not get anymore fluid out than letting it sit for 20 or 30 minutes with plug out. If you want all teh fluid out, you are gonna HAVE to change the angle on the tranny DRAMTICALLY getting it out that way. When take a tranny out to do a clutch, I drain fluid, but as soon as you tilt it after unbolting it, an easy quart or so will come out....
I understand what you're saying about the tranny needing to have dramatic angles to get more fluid out. What about using an oil pump to suck out some extra? I know it is next to impossible to get all the fluid out, but I'm just going for pretty darn good.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:32 PM
FormerVendor

I understand what you're saying about the tranny needing to have dramatic angles to get more fluid out. What about using an oil pump to suck out some extra? I know it is next to impossible to get all the fluid out, but I'm just going for pretty darn good.

Doubt it, sorry. IF you plug up the vent line, and you were able to completely seal the tranny, and THEN try and suck out teh fluid, you MIGHT be able to get more out. But, still a waste of time if you ask me.
Look at it this way....when you FIRST added your fluid, I am sure you still had some regular old ATF in there after you drained it. So, just approach it like that. The little bit of fluid that will be left after you drain it, will be so small, it will not matter any...
Old 10-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Teching In

I was thinking more along the line of using 1/4" tube attaced to an oil suction pump (used to change the oil in my boat) and trying to pull a little out. All things aside; I seee what you are saying and I will just proceed as a normal fluid change.

to another reason to play with the toys in the garage!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Here's another opinion question for those who are still listening...

It is almost that time of year again; storage time. Would you change the fluid now or would you wait to change the fluid in April when the snow melts.

Quick Reply: How to proceed with shop after wrong fluid installed...