Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

1 leg amputee driving a 6 speed WS6, having an issue, please HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1 leg amputee driving a 6 speed WS6, having an issue, please HELP!!

so i lost half of my left leg in a motorcycle wreck. since then i have taught myself how to drive a stick shift (2000 Pontiac ws6 6 speed) even though my prosthesis side has to work the clutch. To do this i simply take off my shoe on my left side each time i drive it, and i have the soft side of Velcro on the bottom of my foot and the rough side on the clutch pedal. so my foot rests on the clutch at ALL times while driving. well the clutch has always been super stiff and never sagged at all while leaving my foot on the clutch. however i took it in to my local transmission shop because of a grind it was having in 5th gear. they tore it down and said i also needed a new master slave cylinder. they also drained all (flushed) the hydraulic fluid and replaced it with fresh. Since then the clutch pedal will sag 2-3 inches when my foot is on the clutch just sitting there. so i took it back in to them and they said maybe i have a bad master slave AGAIN and they replaced it with a new one for me. even after that the SAME thing is happening. however the clutch use to be SO stiff and now it is just as stiff but not until the first 2-3 inches are depressed. so my question is:

1) any idea why this could happen?

2) as an amputee who has to leave his foot on the clutch at all times, what can i do to stiffen up the clutch pedal again? will thicker fluid make the clutch stiffer?

i know it is hydraulic so i cant really go in and change a spring so i was hoping some of you geniuses could help a 1 leg guy out. i really appreciate all the help and advice you give. thanks!

Last edited by eb2phkingood; 03-26-2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 03-26-2010, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man props for not letting nothing hold ya back in life. dont really have much advise but im sure someone on here will. would an adj. master cyclinder help him out any anyone?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like they didnt bleed it enough.I know there isnt much you can do about it but resting your foot on the pedal may lead to the slave cylinder bearing wearing out faster.I would call the shop and ask them to bleed it again,or take it somewhere else and have them try to bleed it.These cars are not easy to bleed.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i see you said they changed the "master slave cylinder." well which one did they replace? the slave or the master? you could get a tick adj master cylinder. that will help it im sure
Old 03-26-2010, 03:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

A Speed Bleeder will help..
Old 03-26-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

adjustable master will help also. you can get both from tick performance >>>>>>
Old 03-26-2010, 05:02 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Way to keep your chin up.

I agree with the bleeding needed.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Wow this is one hell of a story.... Congrats on learning to drive it. I have a cousin who also left part of his lower left leg and he bought an auto for that reason. But any way, I suggest gettting a speed bleeder so you know its bled right and see if that helps. If not then a Tick adj. master will FOR SURE make it stiffer. A speed bleeder is like 70 bucks so its not bad and I think the Tick adj. master is like 399.00. Well good luck buddy I hope you get it figured out.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I would defintely stay away from the Tick master cylinder. It increases the required pressure considerably. RAM or CARTEK sell a modified stock master cylinder.

Different clutches can have different engagement points. If you used a self adjusting clutch you may find that the engagement works itself higer after several hundred miles.

You should also be able to add a spring to the pedal linkage to hold the pedal higher. That plus an adjustable stock master should do the trick..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...r-writeup.html

Good luck and well done considering...

Last edited by WKMCD; 03-26-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I would defintely stay away from the Tick master cylinder. It increases the required pressure considerably. RAM or CARTEK sell a modified stock master cylinder.

Different clutches can have different engagement points. If you used a self adjusting clutch you may find that the engagement works itself higer after several hundred miles.

You should also be able to add a spring to the pedal linkage to hold the pedal higher. That plus an adjustable stock master should do the trick..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...r-writeup.html

Good luck and well done considering...
I think thats what hes looking for is somthing stiffer so its easier for him to drive.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are correct above, it needs to be bled. With out a speed bleeder its near impossible to get it fully bled.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1crazy01
I think thats what hes looking for is somthing stiffer so its easier for him to drive.
Your grasp of hydraulics is amazing.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 AM
12 Second Club

Stiffer pedal?? Maybe so as his leg is resting on pedal he isnt riding the clutch? I can see that. Ive known a few soldiers who lost a leg and modded their cars(manual) to drive. Something close. But adjustable Master did help them.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Your grasp of hydraulics is amazing.
What does it have to do with my grasp of hydraulics???? Its what hes asking for.......... Read post one.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How long were you driving on the old parts? I noticed when I took my master out (DIY modded) to fix it last full. The bottom "cut" cup and spring had a ton of clutch dust around them. And after a fresh bleed with new fuild the very top of travel was really easy, like your saying.
But when I changed clutchs and slave last (spring? way beofre I had the master break) and did a good bleed pedal was still stiffer like I was used to. A little smoother, but nothing like after I cleaned out the dust in the bottom of the master. I think that was adding some spring presser for sure, making the full travle firm. I still had the same clutch and salve, just cleaned the master out. It was weird to get used to also.
I think if its bleed fine, is is just the new master, and clean fuild like noted at the bootem of his post. The thing aboput adding a extra spring is doing it so its not making the full travle stiffer.
I can't remember is Fbodies have them but I know on c5s that have a spring on the pedal, like a hindge spring that only tentions at the bottem on top of the travle.
http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/images/97-04clutch.jpg

Maybe you can add a spacer under the stop in the master to make some more spring pressuer?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I wonder if the shop took out your clutch pedal return spring or broke it during the MC replacement. With a stock MC, the spring keeps the petal from being floppy at the top.

Quick Reply: 1 leg amputee driving a 6 speed WS6, having an issue, please HELP!!