Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

broke a mcleoud twin disc....

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default broke a mcleoud twin disc....

so I have a mcleoud twin disc in my camaro with about 5k miles the car is cam only (415hp) and today I changed out my fluid like I regularly do and took it out for a spin, I cracked 2nd gear pretty hard and the car free revved weird so I got it back to the shop I work at and tore it apart and found one of my clutch disc had stripped splines, has anyone had anyone else had this problem? a friend had it happen twice with the same clutch...
Old 04-27-2010, 05:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow I though twin disks were the thoughest, im suprised to hear this.

have you contacted mcleod? what did they have to say?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just when I was thinking about buying one! Is this the RST Twin? Does it also have 5k? I would like to hear what Mcleod says, keep us posted.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

This is probably the first complaint I've ever read about McLeod. I've had their clutch in mine for 4 years now.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Oh I definately am not complaining about the clutch at all I love everything about it, just dissapointed this happend. Hopefully they can help me out since I have to replace the input shaft on my tranny now
Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow - interested to get more details. I'm waiting for my RST twin to be delivered right now!
Old 04-27-2010, 03:13 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
This is probably the first complaint I've ever read about McLeod. I've had their clutch in mine for 4 years now.
Shorter spline engagement is going to lead to that. It goes back years, BTW. http://www.noid.org/~lj/StreetTwin/McLeod.htm
Old 04-27-2010, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
Shorter spline engagement is going to lead to that. It goes back years, BTW. http://www.noid.org/~lj/StreetTwin/McLeod.htm
Interesting article but I didn't see any mention of shorter spline engagement?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

1Sic...

the splinne part of the input shaft goes through the disc(s) up to pilot bearing. Given the 2 discs my guess is each disc has a thiner spline than a single disc to allow 2 discs and a floater plate to live in the same area as a LT1 single disc clutch.

What I would suspect is the spline (26) componet itself may have come from China as most clutch companies get their parts there and assemble them or in some cases get the entire clutch from china and re-brand it.

I doubt Mcleod gets entire clutches from China but possible their splines. Just a guess.

I found a local clutch company in SoCal and went to see WTF they did and saw how they make the splines in-house. Their comments on China being the source of many clutch company componets is what I am sharing as a possible link to the failure.

I am on my 4th LT1 single disc clutch and will go twin if/when this one fails as I see the twin disc design the only way to deal with higher than stock HP/TQ. Mcleod would be the twin I would go with unless the company I got mine from ever decides to enter into that market which I doubt they will.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

so after a phone call they are fixing it charge free.. im not 100 percent sure what happend tho maybe cheap material?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That is great news, makes me comfortable about buying one. How many miles or how old is it?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

I want to say around 7 or 8k miles it's only been on drag radials no slicks
Old 04-30-2010, 12:40 PM
FormerVendor

We have no problem standing behind our product when there is a Mfg related failure. Send it in and we'll take care of it.

Last edited by Billy M; 04-30-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ******
What I would suspect is the spline (26) componet itself may have come from China as most clutch companies get their parts there and assemble them or in some cases get the entire clutch from china and re-brand it.

I doubt Mcleod gets entire clutches from China but possible their splines. Just a guess.

I found a local clutch company in SoCal and went to see WTF they did and saw how they make the splines in-house. Their comments on China being the source of many clutch company componets is what I am sharing as a possible link to the failure.

I am on my 4th LT1 single disc clutch and will go twin if/when this one fails as I see the twin disc design the only way to deal with higher than stock HP/TQ. Mcleod would be the twin I would go with unless the company I got mine from ever decides to enter into that market which I doubt they will.
Let's nip this in the bud. McLeod has there hubs machined and broached here in the USA by two companies. One here in California and the other on the East Coast. Both companies supply hubs to all the Top Fuel Nitro cars on the NHRA circut.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

Billy

Apologies for any comments related to McLeod fabrication or material sources that are false.

"Just a guess" comment should have referred to Clutch companies that were directly noted in a conversation with the local shop. McLeod was not one of them.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ******
Billy

Apologies for any comments related to McLeod fabrication or material sources that are false.

"Just a guess" comment should have referred to Clutch companies that were directly noted in a conversation with the local shop. McLeod was not one of them.
I understand. I'm not jumping your case. I just want to set the record straight incase anybody else has concerns of the origin of our product.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Billy M
We have no problem standing behind our product when there is a Mfg related failure. Send it in and we'll take care of it.
and when your mfg related failure takes out the input shaft? what happens then?

the problem with the mcleod splines is that they don't fit the t56 input splines with tight tolerances. over time the looseness wears the mcleod clutch hubs and the input shaft splines and develops play. when there is enough play present, the splines eventually strip. ask me how i know..
Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wforty94
and when your mfg related failure takes out the input shaft? what happens then?

the problem with the mcleod splines is that they don't fit the t56 input splines with tight tolerances. over time the looseness wears the mcleod clutch hubs and the input shaft splines and develops play. when there is enough play present, the splines eventually strip. ask me how i know..
There are a couple things that can cause spline wear,
1) Misalign bellhousing,
2) Soft Hub material,
3) Soft Input Shaft material,
4) Hub position on Input Shaft,
5) Major and Minor dimensions of Hub,
6) Contact dimensions of Splines.

When you send in your stipped out hubs also send in this destroyed input shaft and we'll rockwell it.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Banned

Hey Billy, I need to send it my disks and the splines on my are eaten down. Are you saying that this is a know issue and you will cover it? I called up and just told the rep I needed a rebuild and he said $75 for each disk, now that I see this, I am wondering if you guys will show love for mine and cover the issue too

DM
Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Billy M
There are a couple things that can cause spline wear,
1) Misalign bellhousing,
2) Soft Hub material,
3) Soft Input Shaft material,
4) Hub position on Input Shaft,
5) Major and Minor dimensions of Hub,
6) Contact dimensions of Splines.

When you send in your stipped out hubs also send in this destroyed input shaft and we'll rockwell it.
you guys are hands down the BEST I have ever done work with, sent the disc in and you def went above and beyond taking care of me I really appreciate it.. so if I send it my input shaft in you will take care of it?

Quick Reply: broke a mcleoud twin disc....