Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What clutch for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What clutch for me?

I think it is time for the third clutch in myy TA. It has a Spec stage II in it right now and it is bad about getting soft after a pass or two. Not sure it is actually slipping but I have feeling its not far away from how it feels. Even gets soft just playing out on the highway. And this at only 430 HP. So now I have made more changes to the motor and plan to be in the 470-480 range NA with it eventually getting a 150 shot. What would be a good clutch for a full weight street strip at that HP range? I have been out of this for awhile and not sure who to look to. Seems people have good things to say about Monster. Just wanting to who else people are having success with. Thanks

D.J.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

I would probably go with a Monster Level 3. It is rated to 700 at the wheels and it's designed to take the abuse of a strong motor and a power adder.

Give me a call and I can get one coming your way!

Matt
817-750-2000
Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 AM
Launching!

^^^ I would go with that clutch as well. Most people think a clutch that can handle 700hp is overkill if they arent close to it but its not. I bought one and dont think I am probably never going to break 400hp. If you want to be able to launch at 6k and not worry about slipping this is all you need and still remain streetable.

This clutch is becoming very popular.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

any reason to not go with the Level 4 since they can be had for the same price?
Old 03-16-2011, 04:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have about 20k miles on a Spec 2 holding 625WTQ on the nitrous right now. I keep the hydraulics well bleed and replace the fluid often and I've never had an issue with the clutch holding thus far. The car doesn't see much track time but it hooks hard on the street. I'm looking at getting a Spec 2+ or a Spec 3+ once this one bites it.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:44 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CNTLSE 1
any reason to not go with the Level 4 since they can be had for the same price?
The friction material in the Level 4 is very aggressive and the clutch acts more like an On-Off switch. The Level 4 is best suited for a track-only/mostly track application.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 AM
FormerVendor

I understand the desire to sell some one a part but if the clutch isn't slipping and this is an issue with air in the hydraulic system (which would explain the inconsistent and occasionally soft pedal) wouldn't it make sense to suggest that he bleed the hydraulics and assess things further from that point? Try mighty-vac bleeding the system from the reservoir and the slave. This will likely remedy your occasionally soft pedal. Keep in mind that when slippage occurs you will see an increase in RPM without any gain in momentum (i.e. the RPM's jumpo up but the car doesn't move any faster). Give it a shot and let me know what you xperience after bleeding. Thanks and have a great weekend!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have a diamond stage 3 clutch kit and love it. It took a little getting use to because it is like an on off switch but know I'll never buy nothing other then a diamond clutch. My buddy is pushing about 550 to the wheels and is going with a diamond stage 2 it's rated at 600 rwhp and there are people well over the 600 mark using the stage 2. Oh also you get a 1 year warranty with the clutch something you don't get with the some of the other company's and Jason is a great guy and the customer service is EXCELLENT.

Quick Reply: What clutch for me?