Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny is finally on the workbench & Partially tore down *picts*

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Tranny is finally on the workbench & Partially tore down *picts*

Well I finally got around to pulling the T56 out of the Camaro yesterday. It's on the bench and I'll start pulling it apart this week to see how much damage is done to it since fifth & sixth let go. I'll probally start a rebuild thread on it with lots of pictures. This will be my first manual tranny rebuild, I hope I don't mess it up! Here's what I have to work with...

Last edited by Dead Hook; 04-05-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome man ! try to get us as many pics and details over the build !
Old 03-29-2011, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a easy workbench to drill a hole into.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just rebuilt mine with excellent results. PM me if have any questions.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by snake charmer
awesome man ! try to get us as many pics and details over the build !
I will take as many as possible.

Originally Posted by studderin
Looks like a easy workbench to drill a hole into.
Ya, It's a home built 8' wood bench. Not much room in the garage though... It took me two hours to pull the trans and two days to organize the garage!

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I just rebuilt mine with excellent results. PM me if have any questions.
Excellent! I'll take you up on that!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 AM
TECH Veteran

First valuable tip I will give, if you can pull the 5/6 cluster gear off the mainshaft by hand, the mainshaft is damaged and likely the gear. This gear is supposed to be pressed on Bubba tight and it should require a puller to pull it off.

A loose fitting 5/6 gear casues 5th and 6th gear vibes at higher speeds. I have a whole thread on this in this section. Pay very close attention to that gear when taking it apart and if there is damage, address it now.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

First valuable tip I will give, if you can pull the 5/6 cluster gear off the mainshaft by hand, the mainshaft is damaged and likely the gear. This gear is supposed to be pressed on Bubba tight and it should require a puller to pull it off.

A loose fitting 5/6 gear casues 5th and 6th gear vibes at higher speeds. I have a whole thread on this in this section. Pay very close attention to that gear when taking it apart and if there is damage, address it now.
I will look closely at 5/6. This is the reason I'm rebuilding the trans. 1-4 works perfect and 5/6 is pretty much netural. No gears at all. I can hear spinning and a little whine but thats it. I never had a 4 speed trans with three neturals before.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dead Hook
I will look closely at 5/6. This is the reason I'm rebuilding the trans. 1-4 works perfect and 5/6 is pretty much netural. No gears at all. I can hear spinning and a little whine but thats it. I never had a 4 speed trans with three neturals before.
I will bet you have ripped the drive splines off of the 5/6 cluster gear or off the mainshaft. Might be the dog teeth on the 5 or 6 as well being ripped off. Either way, it aint gonna be hard to find the problem.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Staging Lane

I will bet you have ripped the drive splines off of the 5/6 cluster gear or off the mainshaft. Might be the dog teeth on the 5 or 6 as well being ripped off. Either way, it aint gonna be hard to find the problem.
Do you have the measurements for the steel strap needed to modify a gear puller to pull the 5/6 cluster off?
Old 04-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Staging Lane

Ill be keepin an eye on this thread as I might have to do the same thing to mine
Old 04-01-2011, 06:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Do you have the measurements for the steel strap needed to modify a gear puller to pull the 5/6 cluster off?
Mine came off by hand so I did not to make a puller. I would get some of the steel stock with holes every 1/2" or so and use that and just cut the length you need.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, so I got into the trans tonight. I didn't have much time, but I think I got to the heart of the problem. The trans has 220,000 miles on it and 5th & 6th went out.

This weekend I built a "trans table" that is ergonomically correct for a short guy like me.

Pulled the nose off and everything looked real clean

Not much but real fine shavings on the magnets. Not big particles at all.

Shift fork pads don't look well at all. Both sides were busted up.

Here is what I'm assuming what is 5th or 6th gear. My grandma has better teeth.

Main shaft teeth are slightly worn...

Ya... Time for a new main shaft...

That's all I have for tonight. I'll tear down more tomorrow after work.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:41 AM
Staging Lane

oh man looks like alot of work now. Yeah that main shaft looks alittle worn lol
Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Hit a little snag tonight. I didn't realize I needed a T40 Plus not a T40. I think the screw/bolt is OK but my Torx tool has seen better days... Are SK tools good? Think I'm going to order a set from Sears.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Yep I called it and bet you did not need to make a gear puller either.

The 5/6 gear likely lost its press fit and got looser and looser till the splines just got eaten away and finally gave out. Looks like a much more severe condition of what I had. The splines on my main shaft were about a 1/3 worn away from the gear fluttering and wobbling around under load.

Yeah its a new or rebuilt main shaft and a new 5/6 driven gear in your future plus a total tear down and rebuild. While your in there and at a minimum, replace the syncro rings if they show wear on the dog teeth. Replace the blocker rings. Get a steel 3/4 shift fork and billet 3/4 keys and all new fork pads.

If you get a repaired mainshaft from TDP, the journal where the gear goes will be a few thousanths larger to ensure a tighter press fit of the 5/6 driven gear compared to a brand new shaft plus it will be cheaper. A new shaft goes for around $230 or so. The 5/6 gear goes for around $180 or so.

Once you have the housing off, take lots of pics of the puzzle like rods at the bottom that move the forks. Putting those things back together is like working a Rubiks cube until you figure it out. Also take pics of the main shaft and its components till you get familiar with the parts.

I know lots of folks have problems with those two Torx retaining bolts. I busted mine loose easily using an impact on low torque and a quality Torx bit and had no problems. Love that table by the way. I had to use saw horses and 2x4's.

Last edited by wrd1972; 04-07-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Banned

(1) 220K is about the normal milage you will see completely stripped mainshafts like that. I've seen them that bad with as low as 150K but those are normally people who lug their cars in high gear instead of learning how to down shift into a better gear for lower speed driving.

(2) That mainshaft is junk, TDP can build up the machined area but can't replace the splines stripped away. Buy a new mainshaft and 5-6 cluster.

(3) If you take a medium size hammer and smack the **** out of the top of those T40 bolts before trying to remove them, it usually helps out. Using a small butane torch also helps soften up the lock tite used on those bolts from the factory.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Yep I called it and bet you did not need to make a gear puller either.

The 5/6 gear likely lost its press fit and got looser and looser till the splines just got eaten away and finally gave out. Looks like a much more severe condition of what I had. The splines on my main shaft were about a 1/3 worn away from the gear fluttering and wobbling around under load.

Yeah its a new or rebuilt main shaft and a new 5/6 driven gear in your future plus a total tear down and rebuild. While your in there and at a minimum, replace the syncro rings if they show wear on the dog teeth. Replace the blocker rings. Get a steel 3/4 shift fork and billet 3/4 keys and all new fork pads.

If you get a repaired mainshaft from TDP, the journal where the gear goes will be a few thousanths larger to ensure a tighter press fit of the 5/6 driven gear compared to a brand new shaft plus it will be cheaper. A new shaft goes for around $230 or so. The 5/6 gear goes for around $180 or so.

Once you have the housing off, take lots of pics of the puzzle like rods at the bottom that move the forks. Putting those things back together is like working a Rubiks cube until you figure it out. Also take pics of the main shaft and its components till you get familiar with the parts.

I know lots of folks have problems with those two Torx retaining bolts. I busted mine loose easily using an impact on low torque and had no problems. Love that table by the way.
Yep, I didn't need a gear puller. Everything came apart easy and I have a bunch of pictures so far. I'm laying everything out in order on my work bench. Oh, thanks on the table. I think it came out great.

Originally Posted by thesource
(1) 220K is about the normal milage you will see completely stripped mainshafts like that. I've seen them that bad with as low as 150K but those are normally people who lug their cars in high gear instead of learning how to down shift into a better gear for lower speed driving.

(2) That mainshaft is junk, TDP can build up the machined area but can't replace the splines stripped away. Buy a new mainshaft and 5-6 cluster.

(3) If you take a medium size hammer and smack the **** out of the top of those T40 bolts before trying to remove them, it usually helps out. Using a small butane torch also helps soften up the lock tite used on those bolts from the factory.
So would a heat gun (850 degrees) work also? Have you used an impact gun also?
Old 04-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Banned

So would a heat gun (850 degrees) work also? Have you used an impact gun also?
I guess, I've never tried it before. I use a butane torch like you use to sweat pipe when heat is needed. Most of the a few pops with a 2lb ball peen hammer before trying to remove it does the trick.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by thesource

(2) That mainshaft is junk, TDP can build up the machined area but can't replace the splines stripped away. Buy a new mainshaft and 5-6 cluster
I had 80K miles on mine before the 5/6 gear loosened up.

Yes his main shaft is useless junk. The repaired shaft I got from TDP measured .0025" larger than the journal on a new shaft. That absolutely will ensure that the 5/6 gear will fit much more tight than it would on the new shaft. Also the repaired shaft I received had no wear to the splines at all so this route was much cheaper than going with a new shaft plus I have confidence the 5/6 will remain tighter down the road.

The repaired shaft was only $80.00
Old 04-06-2011, 03:41 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

On the two guide bolts;
Torx Plus 40 is what I use; Allen Brand
Tap the socket into the bolt with a hammer. But not so much that you crack the head of the torx bolt.
You'll then need to hold the socket firmly into the bolt head as you unthread it, else it will walk it's way out.

I like my SK ratchets and sockets but I wouldn't necessarily go to them for Torx stuff over anybody else. (I have their rail w/ T5? - T60)

Someone makes new guide bolts with regular hex heads but I can't think of who right now. Pretty easy to weld a nut on or turn down a new bolt.

Last edited by jmd; 04-06-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Tranny is finally on the workbench & Partially tore down *picts*