Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can't get into 4th at high rpms. Help Please!!!!

Old 04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Can't get into 4th at high rpms. Help Please!!!!

The problem started about a year ago, after I did the h/c on the camaro. I've been trying since then to remedy the problem. Things I've changed:

Transmission fully rebuilt.
Tried a different tranny with the same results
Replaced the Mcleod adjustable mc with a Tick setup
Replaced the Mcleod clutch with a new Mcleod clutch
Replaced the Pilot...
System has been bled several times.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what else to do.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by big dave
The problem started about a year ago, after I did the h/c on the camaro. I've been trying since then to remedy the problem. Things I've changed:

Transmission fully rebuilt.
Tried a different tranny with the same results
Replaced the Mcleod adjustable mc with a Tick setup
Replaced the Mcleod clutch with a new Mcleod clutch
Replaced the Pilot...
System has been bled several times.

Any info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what else to do.
If you have done all of that to the trans and clutch setup, including a rebuild and a diff tranny as well as all new hydraulics, I would say stop looking at the clutch/trans set up. Focus on the shifter or the pedal maybe?

Is it hard to get in to first or any other gears (reverse and first usually)

What flywheel are you using? You might need a shim to allow full and good engagement of clutch (my situation right now haha)
Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Clayton Andrew
If you have done all of that to the trans and clutch setup, including a rebuild and a diff tranny as well as all new hydraulics, I would say stop looking at the clutch/trans set up. Focus on the shifter or the pedal maybe?

Is it hard to get in to first or any other gears (reverse and first usually)

What flywheel are you using? You might need a shim to allow full and good engagement of clutch (my situation right now haha)
Thanks for the reply. It's funny, I drove the car to the shop this morning and was able to get it into gear pretty easily. Reverse was still a problem. The last time I tried shifting it, it was tough getting it into any gear and the only way it would go into reverse was if I turned the car off then stick it in gear. I honestly thought the car would have to be towed. I'm pretty sure the problem is hydraulic related I just don't know where to look.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Check for leaks by the bell housing, if you see any fluid, could be slave leaking, but that wouldn't make any sense for it to change to different difficulties randomly. It seems odd... Is 4th the only one that high rpms dont like? and do you have to really really put it to the floor to engage the clutch and get in first?

also, what flywheel you got??? jw.

and when u did the rebuild did it include the shift forks? I had a similar issue in my other t56 and everyone thought synchros but it was shift fork that was bent. I believe the shift forks are aluminum and can get bent easily and seeing as there are 3 shift forks for your gears, it could only affect a gear or 2 if bent. (been a while so if someone sees something im saying that's wrong, correct me hahaha)
Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned

You have a clutch hydraulic issue if its hard to get into reverse or 1st. This will show up at high rpm shifts as well. I would suggest continue inspecting and trying to resolve the issues with the hydraulics before trying to shift at high rpms to keep from damaging the trans.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shim and re-bleed the system
Old 04-07-2011, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesource
You have a clutch hydraulic issue if its hard to get into reverse or 1st. This will show up at high rpm shifts as well. I would suggest continue inspecting and trying to resolve the issues with the hydraulics before trying to shift at high rpms to keep from damaging the trans.
I thought that by installing the tick unit, these hydraulic problems would've been solved.

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
The tranny hasn't been shimmed, but hopefully we can get it figured out with the help of the sticky in this section
Old 04-07-2011, 06:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Clayton Andrew
Check for leaks by the bell housing, if you see any fluid, could be slave leaking, but that wouldn't make any sense for it to change to different difficulties randomly. It seems odd... Is 4th the only one that high rpms dont like? and do you have to really really put it to the floor to engage the clutch and get in first?

also, what flywheel you got??? jw.

and when u did the rebuild did it include the shift forks? I had a similar issue in my other t56 and everyone thought synchros but it was shift fork that was bent. I believe the shift forks are aluminum and can get bent easily and seeing as there are 3 shift forks for your gears, it could only affect a gear or 2 if bent. (been a while so if someone sees something im saying that's wrong, correct me hahaha)
Thanks for the reply. There aren't any leaks by the bell housing. The forks were thouroughly inspected before the trans was put back together.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by big dave
I thought that by installing the tick unit, these hydraulic problems would've been solved.
I don't have any experience with the Tick version master cylinder but have done several of the older McLeod master cylinders and those were super picky about adjustment. You had to get them just right. Too much or too loose would result in issues with either hard going into gear or slipping on the top end.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What shifter are you using? Get an after market one that won't miss gears.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thesource
^ Not necessarily. If it needs a shim, the hydraulics could be fine. (my current situation)

Originally Posted by 02SOMWS6
^ yeah, I am thinking shim. It's the only thing left to try, and if you aren't having leaks, slave should be fine.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the responses and suggestions. I had the Mcleod for a while but the pedal pressure was too hard and we had multiple issues trying to get the pedal to stay consistent. I'm not trying to knock Mcleod because I've run their clutch for 4 years of racing without fail.

The tick mc made a night and day difference in the way the pedal felt but ultimately didn't solve my problem.

The amazing thing is I thought the car would have to be towed to the shop. The last time I attempted to drive it, it was difficult getting it into any gear, with reverse being impossible without first turning the car off.

A couple days ago, I hopped in, fired it up, and the tranny engaged much easier. I was able to drive it 30 miles to the shop with the tranny shifting smoother the more I drove it. Once there, I found reverse was still difficult to engage but at least it would go in without having to turn the car off.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

It being not consistent is confusing. That alone is a headache because of how strange it is...
Old 05-01-2011, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Well, the shim didn't work. I have no idea what else to try. I'm thinking the Mcleod clutch may be the problem. I'm thinking about trying the ls7...
Old 05-01-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

My first reaction to this is the Tick isn't adjusted properly... What have you done for its adjustments?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

and when u did the rebuild did it include the shift forks? I had a similar issue in my other t56 and everyone thought synchros but it was shift fork that was bent. I believe the shift forks are aluminum and can get bent easily and seeing as there are 3 shift forks for your gears, it could only affect a gear or 2 if bent. (been a while so if someone sees something im saying that's wrong, correct me hahaha)[/QUOTE]

I would love to see pictures of such fork. Who told you it was bent? The builder? Post pics....
Old 05-01-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is some reading for the "bent shift fork" guys....
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ift-forks.html
Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HoLLo
My first reaction to this is the Tick isn't adjusted properly... What have you done for its adjustments?
I've tried to adjust it multiple times but always with the same results. The shifts have become real notchy with reverse almost impossible at times.

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
The forks were checked both times the trans was disassembled with there no indication of them being bent. Keep in mind that I tried a totally different trans with the same results.

I would love to see pictures of such fork. Who told you it was bent? The builder? Post pics....[/QUOTE]
Old 06-04-2011, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

In my latest installment of frustrations...the new Mcleod clutch was installed, the car was driven for over 500 miles without even a slight hiccup. I finally had the chance to take it to the track. My first pass, I was able to hit all the gears cleanly for the first time in a very long time. My next pass, no 4th gear. Once I got back into the pits, I found it very difficult to get it in any gear, with reverse being impossible. Same s$%t as before. Everything, I mean EVERYTHING has been replaced. From the transmission to the MC. I give up...

What could possibly be wrong with this damn car
Old 06-04-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. with all said above it sounds like your boling the clucth fluid. On another note, I had the same issue way back in 04 high rpm shifting, I had my tranny rebuilt, bought a ram cluch. I had facotry hydrolics also. The only thing I did differant was I went solid mounts. I had the bmr stands and the solid tranny mount. I did nothing to the hydrolics and shifting at 7.k was no problem. I also ran the gm purple stuff for the clucth fluid.

Search this Thread