Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 factory rebuild service?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 factory rebuild service?

I had read somewhere one could send thier T56 off to have a factory rebuild for about $600. plus shipping each way. Anyone know about this story? I just picked up another one today and understand it grinds a bit going into 3rd and 4th gear.
-Roger
Old 05-07-2011, 01:40 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

I've never heard of a "factory" rebuild service like this. However, at my shop, we specialize in these trannys. Upgraded builds start at $680 + shipping each way, which is about $100. It can get more expensive if speed gears or synchro sleeves are damaged.

http://www.texasdrivetrainperformance.com/t56.html

http://www.texasdrivetrainperformance.com/about.html
Old 05-07-2011, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the extra money to ship it, then you should ship it to TDP. They do awesome work.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Teching In

agreeed on the tdp trans i have one and its perfect doesnt take to long either
Old 05-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

You won't be getting very many parts for $600. I've seen several shops put out low ball prices to get units in but 90% of the time, they always jack the price up after its torn down simply because it needs more parts that the "special" offered covers. Whats the customer going to do, say no and pay to ship it back to them because the price is higher than they thought it was going to be?

Use a shop you trust and be prepared to spend $700-$1200 for a rebuild with good parts. Upgrades like larger mainshafts are going to be closer to $1600-1700 range with all the good stuff installed.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

So Mike, (the source) how is a shop to know exactly what to charge the customer without tearing into it? Specials are offered which are actually specials. Is it the shops fault that the trans was beaten on by the customer? Now 4 gears need to get replaced, so it's the customer who has to pay for it. The special deals the sponsors put out is on labor and a rebuild kit. There is no way to tell if it will need hard parts or not. So then sponsors should charge ahead of time even though it might not need that certain part that was added to the bill? I agree on doing a search for the best reputable shop.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
So Mike, (the source) how is a shop to know exactly what to charge the customer without tearing into it? Specials are offered which are actually specials. Is it the shops fault that the trans was beaten on by the customer? Now 4 gears need to get replaced, so it's the customer who has to pay for it. The special deals the sponsors put out is on labor and a rebuild kit. There is no way to tell if it will need hard parts or not. So then sponsors should charge ahead of time even though it might not need that certain part that was added to the bill? I agree on doing a search for the best reputable shop.
A shop doesn't know if there are gears, forks or shafts needing replacement. Its just a little misleading when a shop offers extremely low ball prices such as $600 for a rebuild when thats really not going to apply to say 75% of the rebuilds that come through the door. This little trick isn't something that only applies to T56 rebuilds. Transmission shops in general have been doing this for years and is a big reason why so many of them have a bad reputation. There is a guy locally here that advertises rebuilds starting at $399 for transmissions including r&r, good luck with getting that price once your car is torn down in his shop. Its no different than a dealer advertising a car for "x" amount but when you show up, wouldn't you know it, they just sold that one but we have several available for more money.

Like I said above, for $600 you aren't getting very much at all and there is about a 20% chance you will actually get that price once it shows up to the shop doing the rebuild. Shops know they will get the job as long as the price doesn't sky rocket and even if it does, they will probably end up with a dirt cheap or free core out of the deal. I wasn't directing my comments to anyone or about anyone specifically so don't get your panties in a wad about it. The best bet is for the customer to do their research and make a choice on who to use. If the price is more, they should feel comfortable knowing they can trust the shop doing the work and know the price is fair for the parts needing replacement.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Not gettin my panties in a wad, also didn't think you were directing it to a specific shoP. But to the customers, they should also do research on what all is envolved. Sometimes there is no right way to advertise it for the customer to understand. Maybe this thread will give some insite on the whole advertising, even though it was hijacked.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Also, tO add a little bit to the $600 build, the best thing to do is to be Prepared like mike said in paying alot mOre than $600. The best way for a customer to get the lOwest price is to get their problems fixed as soon as they start to happen. 3 months down the road of neglect is goIng to cost you alot mOre!
Old 05-10-2011, 02:39 PM
12 Second Club

Well my $650 rebuild from TDP has been holding 750rwhp just fine. Plus TDP isnt the type of guy to screw you around.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Well my $650 rebuild from TDP has been holding 750rwhp just fine. Plus TDP isnt the type of guy to screw you around.

Im assuming that $650 is a basic rebuild, nothing crazy and yet it's been holding 750whp!? How long and what type of driving does it see?
Old 05-29-2011, 04:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The $650 rebuild is basically the same as our level 2 rebuild except you don't get the 1/2 or 3/4 syncronizer. As has been stated in this thread, probably not even 20% of the transmission that will come to a rebuilder are going to have a good condition 1/2 and 3/4 syncronzer installed. If you take $250 from our $1149 price you'd pay us $899 for the same.

We have considered doing this very thing as our level one rebuild, but most people wouldn't be able to take advantage of it anyway. In the end, we'd just get a bunch of guys expecting a cheap rebuild that would get mad when they had to upgrade to our level two anyway...

Our prices are higher than some and less than others. During this time of year we do about 2 t56 rebuilds a day, so theres no reason to lower our price farther. It also gives us room to offer sales from time to time. We do quality work, and so does TDP from what I hear. However, I wouldn't expect or advertise any t56 including our level three holding 750rwhp for any legnth of time. We would warranty it if the trans failed, but if you put any real traction and mph on it, its only a matter of time before it will break the input shafts teeth and cluster gear. Plumbing the case to spray oil on these gears will help greatly however.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jonathan do you have any pics of the plumbing done to a case? ive been wanting to do this
Old 05-29-2011, 05:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
jonathan do you have any pics of the plumbing done to a case? ive been wanting to do this
I have one in the shop now that we have done this to. I'll post some pics in here when I get back to the shop Tuesday. Its for a Cobra, so I hope theres room for the lines. Basically, its just two -6 bulkhead fittings welded to the case with aluminum tubing welded to the fitting on the inside which is bent in order to spray on these gears.

We're just going to use a Tilton fluid pump like used on Rear differential coolers for stock cars. Feed a -8 line from the drain plug to a filter and then the pump. From the pump break off into two -6 lines that screw to the fittings on the case. The Tilton pump may not be as durable as a gear driven pump, but it can be wired to a wot switch to keep the run time for the pump down to a minimum.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome thank you , ive been wanting to do this for a long time now, but just was unsure of the best placement for the spray to go
i may end up just tearing to trans down and sending you the case (i think i actually have an extra laying around) to do the pluming if that's something you guys would do?
also the car will be seen alot of highspeed pulls so i was thinking of throwing a cooler on as well or would that be a waste of time/ money
Old 05-30-2011, 12:20 PM
Teching In

I shipped my T56 to Jason at TDP but had about $1500 set aside for the rebuild. Came in at $1338 CDN. Much better than $2k plus here.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mischief007
I shipped my T56 to Jason at TDP but had about $1500 set aside for the rebuild. Came in at $1338 CDN. Much better than $2k plus here.
what stage build did you have done?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jason at TDP is the man. He is the only guy I will let touch my trans. I have been dealing with him for several years and his service and prices are top notch.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
The $650 rebuild is basically the same as our level 2 rebuild except you don't get the 1/2 or 3/4 syncronizer. As has been stated in this thread, probably not even 20% of the transmission that will come to a rebuilder are going to have a good condition 1/2 and 3/4 syncronzer installed. If you take $250 from our $1149 price you'd pay us $899 for the same.

We have considered doing this very thing as our level one rebuild, but most people wouldn't be able to take advantage of it anyway. In the end, we'd just get a bunch of guys expecting a cheap rebuild that would get mad when they had to upgrade to our level two anyway...

Our prices are higher than some and less than others. During this time of year we do about 2 t56 rebuilds a day, so theres no reason to lower our price farther. It also gives us room to offer sales from time to time. We do quality work, and so does TDP from what I hear. However, I wouldn't expect or advertise any t56 including our level three holding 750rwhp for any legnth of time. We would warranty it if the trans failed, but if you put any real traction and mph on it, its only a matter of time before it will break the input shafts teeth and cluster gear. Plumbing the case to spray oil on these gears will help greatly however.

Could you please let me know when these sale happen so I can take advantage of them?
Old 05-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bravolistick
what stage build did you have done?
Jason's Stage 2 build plus 1-2 synchronizer assembly, 5-6 synchronizer assembly, reverse fork, machined the mainshaft, second gear, and a bearing kit. Transmission had 204,000 km (126,000 miles) on it. Hard mileage since the 3-4 fork has a piece missing from it.

Quick Reply: T56 factory rebuild service?