Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

? Clutch not going into gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ? Clutch not going into gear

I've done some searching on the board and I think I have a bad slave cylinder. Any input? When the car is off, it shifts fine into all gears, however when the car is on (clutch pedal has enough pressure to start) I can't put it into gear.

How much is this typically to fix? I assume if it is the slave cylinder the tranny will need to be dropped? Any advice and input would be helpful

Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

the clutch is not supposed to go into gear lol...

When is the last time you checked the clutch fluid? thats the first step. next, go somewhere where u have space, cut the car off and put it in gear. press the clutch all the way in and hold it. start the car and if the car doesn't start moving when the starter spins, it is not a clutch issue. is this a slowly developing problem or was it all of a sudden?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Launching!

happened all of a sudden. Spoke with the mechanic and says my slave cylinder is leaking a little but the least of my worries. Said 3 fingers on the pressure plate have gone bad, flywheel looks to be warn and heated recommends a new clutch setup? any input?

what kind of clutch do you guys recommend? Im not looking for top of the line performance, nor bottom of the pit, rather best bang for the buck daily driver clutch
Old 05-15-2012, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

how many miles? i'd do a new slave cylinder if its already apart. what where you doing the last time it worked correctly?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

I am curious about his determination that "3 fingers of the pressure plate have gone bad". What exactly is he checking? Are they not even in terms of their height when compared to the rest of the diaphragm?

Either way, we would be happy to assist you with a new clutch (or clutch and flywheel package). What kind of HP/Torque is the car making and what kind of usage does it see? We offer seven different single-disc clutch options that are certain to provide you with an option that easily meets your needs. I assume that this is an LS1 F-body. That being said, check the link below. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2000/Single
Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
how many miles? i'd do a new slave cylinder if its already apart. what where you doing the last time it worked correctly?
Just drove around running errands, and tried to pull out of the parking lot and wouldnt budge. only ~70k miles

I ended up getting a ls7 clutch kit since i was in the market for one already.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
I am curious about his determination that "3 fingers of the pressure plate have gone bad". What exactly is he checking? Are they not even in terms of their height when compared to the rest of the diaphragm?

Either way, we would be happy to assist you with a new clutch (or clutch and flywheel package). What kind of HP/Torque is the car making and what kind of usage does it see? We offer seven different single-disc clutch options that are certain to provide you with an option that easily meets your needs. I assume that this is an LS1 F-body. That being said, check the link below. Thanks!

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/2000/Single

3 of the pressure plate fingers are softer (compresses much more easily) than the rest. And i think thats why im showing uneven wear. the pressure plate also shows uneven wear and "hot" spots.

As far as the slave cylinder, yes it was leaking and the throwout bearing damaged.

Are these consistent with my gears not going in when the car is on?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lferdzl
Are these consistent with my gears not going in when the car is on?
bingo. lets get some pics of the carnage so we can all learn. like SPEC, i've NEVER heard of fingers on a pressure plate having un even wear. only thing i can think of would be a severely warped flywheel. but i'd think youd have starting issues then as the starter tried to grab the ring gear all the way around.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:46 AM
FormerVendor

If the pivot/fulcrum/ring broke in the cover it could certainly lead the fingers to be out of alignment or for the diaphragm to be un-centered, but having three week fingers doesn't really make sense. Perhaps this just comes down to a difference in terminology. Either way I'm glad you got it taken care of and if you need anything else, let me know.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
If the pivot/fulcrum/ring broke in the cover it could certainly lead the fingers to be out of alignment or for the diaphragm to be un-centered, but having three week fingers doesn't really make sense. Perhaps this just comes down to a difference in terminology. Either way I'm glad you got it taken care of and if you need anything else, let me know.
Thank you. Hopefully by today, ill be able to driver her off.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:03 AM
FormerVendor

Good deal!

Quick Reply: ? Clutch not going into gear