Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 vibration then no gears.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 vibration then no gears.....

Hey guys, first post on this site, need some advice/input.

I had a t56 put in my 79 camaro. In total the swap has about 500 miles on it. Age/mileage of tranny is unknown. New stage 2 zoom clutch, new centerforce flywheel.

Anyway, driving home last night, at about 40mph, i felt a bad shake. Pulled over and lost all gears. If i release clutch in any gear i get a loud clunking/banging noise from tranny, and car doesnt move. In neutral car is fine.

I know its hard to diagnose over the net, but anyone have this happen before or by any chance know what is up with my ride?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Broken driveshaft or output shaft
Old 06-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the fast reply Mike.

When you say drivesaft, your talking about the actual driveshaft or a shaft internal to the tranny?

One of the first things i checked was the driveshaft when i pulled over. It was 10pm so it was dark, but i didnt see anything visually wrong there.

If its the output shaft, is that a big job? Meaning a full rebuild ($$$)
Old 06-10-2012, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BillC
When you say drivesaft, your talking about the actual driveshaft or a shaft internal to the tranny?
driveshaft is between trans and rear. output shaft is internal to trans.

Originally Posted by BillC
If its the output shaft, is that a big job? Meaning a full rebuild ($$$)
Full rebuild as in the entire internals need to be removed and assembled onto a new output shaft.

I believe there was another output shaft breakage here on the forums last week with pictures of the shaft still stuck in the driveshaft yoke when it was removed.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
driveshaft is between trans and rear. output shaft is internal to trans.

Full rebuild as in the entire internals need to be removed and assembled onto a new output shaft.

I believe there was another output shaft breakage here on the forums last week with pictures of the shaft still stuck in the driveshaft yoke when it was removed.
Ugh, that sucks. I didnt see anything wrong with driveshaft, which leaves the output shaft as the problem. That makes sense because it sounded like it was coming from inside tranny.

Im gonna have my mechanic look at it, but it seems as if this car is gonna sit as my "toy budget" is shot for the year beacause of the swap in early spring. :whine:

What would cause this to break? Like i mentioned, i have about 500 miles since the swap. No racing, and im not hard on the car in the least bit. Could it have a been a problem with the tranny waiting to happen? Id like to throw this tranny through the shop window who installed it....nothing but problems dealing with them, never again.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Teching In

Found the problem! Turns out it was the driveshaft! Your good Mike!

My car is so low i couldnt see it until i had the *** up in the air. My ebrake cable stopped it from falling farther than a few inches. Lucky! The loud banging was th shaft spinning and hitting the mufflers.

$13 later and problem solved.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Got lucky! Just did a re&re with the same issue. Driving 5th gear then got a vibration then a clunk. Pulled over and had no 5th or 6th. Found the output shaft splines roasted aswell the 5-6 driven gear splines. $1300 later doing some up keep to the trans while it was apart its now back on the road.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:12 AM
Teching In

No kidding!

I feel like a dumbass. But because the driveshaft didnt fall out or enough for me to see it that night, I didnt think that was the problem.

It wasnt until i had the car up on jack stands that i coukd see the shaft laying about 2 inches below the rear end pinion.

Easy fix and im back on the road.

Quick Reply: T56 vibration then no gears.....