Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cant get this f*cking clutch line out of the slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default cant get this f*cking clutch line out of the slave cylinder

biggest pain in the you know what in the world. i have 4+ hours into this p.o.s. already. i know you need to push the little white coupling piece into the slave and pull out on the clutch line. first of all there is virtually no room to do this. but anyway, ive been trying to do this with screw drivers, wrenches, and i put a hose clamp against the coupling and tried tapping it with a wrench but that didnt help. then i found something that is similar to this little "clutch line removal tool" everyone keeps talking about. same principal, it fits, and its maybe just a hair or two thicker than the regular/real tool thats designed for this. i been to autozone and advanced auto parts and no one knows what im even talking about, but i searched the store anyway and couldnt find one. how else do i get this thing out?!?!!??! i wanna drive my car!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As strange as it sounds sometimes you have to push the line back toward the bell housing to take some pressure off the white coupling so you can unhook it....you've probably already done that.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Crack the bleeder so it'll push in a little bit like 98 said. Wiggle it a bunch and keep the plastic ring pushed in.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

ya that disconnect is annoying. I've had to disconnect that thing 4 times in less than two weeks. Gotta get thin long flathead screw and work that white retainer in.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd totally delete it if I were you. I had one take a **** on me (taken apart one too many times) . You can buy the roll pin captivated fittings and AN line from speedwaymotors for like $30
Old 09-08-2012, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

ive tried wiggling it around idk if ive actually tried pushing it in, probably i feel like ive tried everything lol the other thing is is that where the ring is split at the diagonal part, the part that comes to a point at the side going into the housing goes all the way in, but im having touble getting the side that comes to a point closer to the line to go in. i figured there might be dirt or something in there so i sprayed degreaser in, tried rubbing off any dirt that was on the ring intself and it still didnt help. ill try pushing it in or cracking the bleeder as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I used a radiator hook tool which made it easy to push the release sleeve in from every angle. It seemed to me that keeping it square while pushing towards the trans with the line allowed it to release. Without being able to push in on the top side with a hooked tool I don't even know its possible to get loose.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Name:  IMAG0046.jpg
Views: 19091
Size:  12.4 KB
This is what the release tool looks like, it came with a clutch kit that I bought. Usually a 17 mm wrench works by using the open end. I did a clutch on a 96 chevy truck a few years ago & it would not come apart so I ended up breaking the slave cyl. then cutting the coupler with a die grinder. Found a lot of corrosion buildup in there preventing the spring lock from releasing. If you have to its cheaper & easier to replace the slave than a master cylinder.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

so i was working on it again this morning, and i think i broke it to the point of no return. inside the gap where the white ring goes in i could see a little silver metal shim, very very tiny, and i thought this was my problem as to why i couldnt get the plastic ring to push in the way it should. so i took a little flat head and tried to pry it out and i think i just pushed it in and now the ring wont go in at all. does anyone know what this little silver thing is that i pushed in? i dont think its one of the fingers that keeps the line locked in there because i only saw one and it didnt move easily.

also the part that holds the line in is the slave cylinder right? because im at the point of just ripping out that also and replacing the whole thing. i cant believe there isnt a better design for this thing.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like a bummer. Time to pull the trans...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

well im not looking to jump down that path just yet lol
Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

That sounds like the clip that holds the line in. I ruined one once - pinched it between BH and engine block on install.

There are two styles, and it sounds like you have the one with the clip.

This is the later style IIRC, with no clip.

I cant find the early style, but it has two slots on the female housing, and an E-clip that retains the line.

GL getting at it without pulling the trans, if its that syle
Old 09-10-2012, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

well if its the clip style i should be able to see the clip on the outside of the female housing correct? i havent been able to see anything on the outside of the housing yet but i havent really tried to look either. from the one youtube video i saw, the clip was black, idk if thats the case with all of them, or just that particular model. also if i do have the clip, im assuming there isnt enough room to pull it out with leaving the female housing in its place. howd you get it out when yours broke?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm having the exact opposite problem.... can't get the damn thing in! Finally put the trans back in my car after 7 1/2 months of being down, and this stupid thing is keeping me from driving it!!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mezzoni
well if its the clip style i should be able to see the clip on the outside of the female housing correct? i havent been able to see anything on the outside of the housing yet but i havent really tried to look either. from the one youtube video i saw, the clip was black, idk if thats the case with all of them, or just that particular model. also if i do have the clip, im assuming there isnt enough room to pull it out with leaving the female housing in its place. howd you get it out when yours broke?
Yeah, unless you took it off, and its residing in the bottom of your bellhousing. All the clips i've dealt with are black fwiw.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UAZ28SS
I'm having the exact opposite problem.... can't get the damn thing in! Finally put the trans back in my car after 7 1/2 months of being down, and this stupid thing is keeping me from driving it!!
Have you cracked the bleeder? You need to crack the bleeder or the fitting won't go back in.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

what/where exactly is the bleeder? i removed the hose from the resivoir to the clutch cylinder itself i assume that would do the same thing as cracking the bleeder, right or wrong?
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, just crack the bleeder. It's the part sticking out of the slave that does not have the red cap in the pic below...

Old 09-13-2012, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Where exactly is the bleeder? I'm looking all over the transmission case and up to the engine block and the only thing perturbing are the clutch line and oil filter in that area.. And If it's inside the little rectangular opening that the clutch line goes into, how am I supposed to get at it?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

It's on the slave cylinder..

Quick Reply: cant get this f*cking clutch line out of the slave cylinder