Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best Clutch for 450~hp car or le2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Clutch for 450~hp car or le2?

Hey guys, i've now got about 1k miles on my 355 H/C le2 95 camaro. I know finally have the money for a new clutch, good thing too, the old one doesnt even grip anymore .. With all of the H/C M6's on here you would think there would be more information but three hours of research has availed me nothing.. and yes i tried the search bar as well!

So i'm on a high school budget so i want to get this done as cheaply as possible but i also know it could very easily be a $500 deal, and i'm prepared for that. but what i've come up with is for about $200 i could get a mcleod disk only thats good to 7500 rpm (which i'll obviously never go to haha) and should hold my power. also i heard i could get the lt4 pressure plate (not sure what vehicle that comes off of)? and get my stock flywheel resurfaced, if i can do that for the third time.

anyways, all suggestions and any help is more than welcome! thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

the cheapest one that is decent is Competition Clutch 2.5 for $300. It is a DF disc

many did buy autozone or store brand clutch kits for $2xx (which all have the LT4 PP) and tossed the organic disc and got the McLeod DF disc for $175

either of the above would be the least exspensive clutches.....if that is your primary criteria.

CC clutch below
Attached Thumbnails Best Clutch for 450~hp car or le2?-cc-disc-marcel.jpg   Best Clutch for 450~hp car or le2?-cc-df-disc-fw-side.jpg   Best Clutch for 450~hp car or le2?-cc-df-pp-side.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ******
the cheapest one that is decent is Competition Clutch 2.5 for $300. It is a DF disc

many did buy autozone or store brand clutch kits for $2xx (which all have the LT4 PP) and tossed the organic disc and got the McLeod DF disc for $175

either of the above would be the least exspensive clutches.....if that is your primary criteria.

CC clutch below
Which would you recommend? I've heard good things about the competition clutches. $300 is hard to beat! I couldn't hardly find it online though!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the problem...What is your intention with the car? Just street? If you are not going to beat on it, just get an HD clutch set off of Ebay.

The thing is, there is no cheap way about this. If you want a good clutch that can take the abuse and handle the power, its going to cost you $$$.

I highly discourage just buying a disc. Get a loan from your parents, save up a little longer, get a summit racing credit card and buy a complete clutch set. I like Centerforce clutches.

If you do it half *** now or buy just a disc, you will just be tearing into it again in the near future. Do it right now and expect to pay $500 for a set-up.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

This is true. I know it'll be expensive and I have the money but I always like to check and see how cheaply I can get it done. I've just heard a lot of great things about competition clutch. What would y'all say my best option would be?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

again if it is about cheap, the CC clutch is the answer

with that said it is not the "best" but for the $ "comparable" to any "DF" kit offered (RAM, CenterForce, etc)

You can get more aggressive clutches from places like SPEC and others who offer stages 1-6 with the higher # ones being ceramic type "puc" or metalic full face discs. These are in the $500+ range and grip but can (read do) have chatter in stop/go traffic conditions

Having been down several single clutch disc clutches (RAM, SPEC, CC, stock, ZOOM) with all not lasting more than a few years and some dieing in 2k miles (slipping) I went with a McLeod Street Twin...but that is a $1300 kit

if you get a single disc clutch get the flywheel resurfaced or replace it. The Twin disc clutch from McLeod comes with a new (proprietary) flywheel and also a new MC (larger bore)
Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 PM
FormerVendor

There are tons of options available but cheaper doesn't always work out as well as you would hope in the long run. Take a look at the link to our 95 Camaro parts below (specifically the second set of parts on the page). Let me know i you have any further questions and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks,

http://www.specclutch.com/cars/Chevy/Camaro/1995/Single
Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

Cheap is definetly the main thing here, with that being said i obviously dont want a clutch that isnt going to last but a couple of thousand miles. I'm thinking the CC 2.5 is the way to go because its cheap and ive heard great reviews. keep in mind this car might go to the drag strip once, MAYBE. no launches from a dead stop or anything crazy. mainly just hot rodding around town here. with that being said does anybody know the cheapest place to get a cc 2.5? ebay or something?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ebay. A Spec clutch will be more than good for you also.

Quick Reply: Best Clutch for 450~hp car or le2?