Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

quick disconnect will not release hose HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick disconnect will not release hose HELP

Started to do the drill mod and I cannot get the stainless braid hose to release from the tranny. I opened the bleed valve and it still will not come out. I tried for an hour and gave up. Can anyone help with this. Thanks
Old 05-04-2004, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

What you have to do is a bit tricky.

Push the braided line side of the fitting in towards the trans. While pushing it in with your hand, use a pair of crossed flathead screwdrivers in the other hand to push the white plastic ring tabs in towards the tranny. With the white plastic ring tabs pushed in, pull out on the braided line. Pop! Out it comes.

Good luck! Like I said, it's a bit tricky...
Old 05-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Question

OK that is what I have read and you say the same thing. The problem is there is no plastic ring or plastic anything on this hose fitting. It is a 02 SS. The hose goes into a round green metal fitting that I can push in but the hose will not release.
Old 05-05-2004, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

there should be one, unless someone broke it off before you maybe
Old 05-05-2004, 06:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

A couple of pics, courtesey of Install University:

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ct_removal.jpg

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ct_hanging.jpg

Hopefully someone didn't break off the plastic ring and just reinstall it...
Old 05-05-2004, 09:28 AM
Teching In

Question

I bought the car new so I am the first owner unless it got broken at the factory. Looks like it is not coming out. Thanks for all the replys.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're having the same problem that I had. The plastic ring is missing. I ended up buying some brake shims and one fit in there perfectly. It popped right off. Hold on, let me find my post.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here you go.

"It is #74016. It's a container of about 6 rings/bushings for brake and clutch pedal shafts. The package is red with HELP! on it. They are called Brake & Clutch bushings. Hope this can help someone in the future who is also missing the plastic ring on the disconnect."

You can probably find them at Pep Boys or Autozone. They have a websight that shows them but I can't remember what it is.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=138709&page=2
Old 05-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice info, that sure is strange though, why would that piece be missing on a new car?
Old 05-05-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is possible for it to be pushed inside the so its almost not visible. Look carefully. Its just a white piece of plastic that can come off or break, although under normal conditions I don't really see how.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks everyone for the info! Dal1as I'm gonna head to autozone and advance tomorrow and try and find those parts!
Old 05-07-2004, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you find them?

Did you get it to work?

TTT
Old 05-07-2004, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Dal1as....Yep we're good to go on the drill mod. Had to drive about 30 miles out of town to an Autozone that had that part number but eventually found it. I had to trim the ring up some as it was too thick to slide in, but once I got it trimmed it worked like a charm. I was able to complete the drill mod then and now can really tell that the clutch engages and releases faster especially when speed shifting. Once again a Huge Thanks for your help!
Old 05-07-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

No problem. Just glad it worked. My master leaks a little air but with the drill mod it barely matters with the quick return.
Old 05-11-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a similar problem.I have the plastic ring on there but its a bit chewed up and it looks grey on my 99.I can't seem to get it to go in and for sure can't see how I can push on it with one hand and use my other hand to hold and push two screwdrivers in at same time.Its tight in there as I have long tubes.I don't think those help parts would help me out much.Is there any other tip or trick to get this thing off..its driving me freakin nuts.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Teching In

MY99TAWS6,

I'm with you man! I'm having the same issue. I even made a tool that resembles the one in the GM F-Platform Service Manual and... NO DICE!!!
I'm thinking about going to the dealer today to see if they have any helpful advice. What about you, did you get it out yet?
Old 05-13-2004, 06:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike 1LE
MY99TAWS6,

I'm with you man! I'm having the same issue. I even made a tool that resembles the one in the GM F-Platform Service Manual and... NO DICE!!!
I'm thinking about going to the dealer today to see if they have any helpful advice. What about you, did you get it out yet?
I worked on taking off my longtubes today..they were easier than messing with that little line.The mcleod tool doesn't seem to work maybe could cut it down or something.I tried a fuel line disconnect and no dice and think last time went to tool place and bought some kind of clutch line disconnect but can't fine it and forget if it worked last time.I got it off last time as installed the cartech modified master and will get it off this time if it kills me!!!
It almost seems you need three hands to do it.I think I read someone modified it with something after they got it out.Sounds like good idea if it replaces that plastic pos ring.

Anyone got some ideas for us.??
Old 05-13-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok got mine off.The car was nice and high for the longtube removal and took my light and took a good look at the master.I already had the master out of the firewall and
figured if couldn't remove the f..ing line then would knock out the rollpin and install my mcleod master and take my chances just bleeding it with the thing in the car.
I did want to prebleed it as it said in the instructions .With the light on the fitting I took I flatblade and pushed the plastic ring up into the fitting.There was some plastic I guess hiding on the back side that didn't go up but I took master under the car and this let me spin the line around to see all sides of it.So once all the plastic stayed up there it did make a little click sound and then it seems mine likes to stick in there I took channel pliers and pulled it out of there like a bad tooth!!! So its out.I did the drill mod before but might have gone slightly smaller than 1/8 inch.I may drill it out 1/8 inch this time to make sure it works as it should.I was still getting problems sometimes at high rpm shifts..like at 6500 but that might have been the stock modified master.I have a feeling cartech used whatever one they have lying around and maybe it wasn't as good as a 2001/2002 one.Anyway the mcleod looks like it will have lots of throw so likely shoudn't have any problems with it unless it leaks like some guys say it can.But they are easy to rebuild and really getting it out of there isn't too bad getting good at it.
So take a light and make sure you get the ring to stay up there as far as it will go.You can try a smaller flatblade if the ones you have are too big a blade.The mcleod tool was totally useless in my car.It might work in other cars with other trannies but it didn't do squat in mine.You couldn't get it up far enough to the tranny.I am sure some smart guy can make a nice tool to get these off easier.Till then guess we just have to swear a lot.If I can give you anymore help on this thing please feel free to ask as many questions as you like.Also if its never been out before I think they sort of stick in there a bit and you will need something to give you more pull like vice grips or channel lock pliers.My end is a bit chewed under the ring but no big deal it still works.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Well, I went to the dealer today and they said to try to distribute an equal amount of pressure to that white POS ring.
After a couple of tries... pop, off it came. All I used were 2 flat head screwdrivers (one large and one medium size one) and just gave it all I had!!! Oh, and I didn't have to push in the line either. I just pushed in on the white ring and... off it came. What a pain in the *** though!
Anyway, I'm glad to hear yours came off too.

...out

Mike
Old 05-14-2004, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, that plastic ring has a slit cut into it so it won't move in as one piece. What I have always done that works great for me is use two medium sized flathead screwdrivers to push on the ring. I have found the best places to apply pressure is if the slit is at 12 o'clock, then place the screwdrivers at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. I can usually have the line off in less than a minute using this method.

Quick Reply: quick disconnect will not release hose HELP