Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Popping out of reverse, tail shaft removed, video inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:56 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Popping out of reverse, tail shaft removed, video inside

I am able to get the trans in reverse, but if I give it any throttle even if I'm holding it in position it will pop out when backing up. I took a couple vids with the tail shaft section removed...it doesn't look like anything is bent, but with the amount of shaft play, I'm guessing there is a bad bushing? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated..

Old 05-02-2014, 06:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reverse shift forks pads are prolly gone, and the bronze blocker ring. And synchro hub on my reverse was worn from trying to keep it in gear I flip the synchro hub and replaced the shift forks pads in my trans and that should fix it .

Last edited by saylorZ28; 05-03-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Go to the CTS section here and search "the V1 reverse fix". Yes, different car but, same t56 issue. An excellent read.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help guys got my parts ordered
Old 05-02-2014, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

What parts did you order? Did someone give advice? I'll most likely get into mine next week. So, just getting game plan on parts source. Anything to offer would be great!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't see anything out of the normal in those videos…. What you need to do is pull the reverse gear off and look at the blocker ring, gear engagement teeth and syncro sleeve.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

If there is a lot of movement up and down on the shift mechanics then more then likely the shift fork pads are gone it should be tight up and down the movement side to side really don't matter as it has movement. That's sloppy like mine was I tore mine down and put shift fork pads and new blocker ring and flipped my reverse hub over it's not that hard. Main thing is organization . If you need any help just holler
Old 05-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
What parts did you order? Did someone give advice? I'll most likely get into mine next week. So, just getting game plan on parts source. Anything to offer would be great!
Going off what Saylorz28 said as well as what I've been reading in the thread you suggested and a couple other threads, talking with the parts guy at my local GM dealer I ordered a new shift fork, 2 new pads for the fork, and what we determined to be the blocker ring...I haven't pulled the gears apart yet because im putting my engine together and putting it in the car this weekend but the good thing is once I do pull it apart, if I do find I need another part GM will pay to have it overnighted because it's considered a "service lane" part and will keep the vehicle down until delivery.

Thanks again for the replies
Old 05-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Launching!

I got mine all back together last night...my shift pads on the reverse fork were worn, I put a new shift fork and pads on the blocker ring and could feel the difference right away. The teeth on my blocker ring were mashed so I flipped it like saylor said, and it feels much better just dry shifting it now.

For anyone searching this in the future, this video helped me a lot

Quick Reply: Popping out of reverse, tail shaft removed, video inside