Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pic of my toasted McLeod Twin Disc

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 10:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pic of my toasted McLeod Twin Disc

Go here for the story behind it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/174316-mcloed-twin-disc-goes-up-smoke.html

All the friction material is completely gone from one side of the floater disc.

I'll be calling McLeod tomorrow. Its going to be an interesting phone call.
Attached Thumbnails Pic of my toasted McLeod Twin Disc-mcleod.jpg  
Old 05-25-2004, 10:17 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn!

Looks like the clutch failed, big time ... I would expect them to step up to the plate and get another one out to you, get back to us! 1st hard launch, and it ***** the bed?!?! They've lost my money now....

Rob
Old 05-25-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

that looks like it hurt, let us know what they say
Old 05-25-2004, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow, you did a number on that one

Keep us updated w/the situation
Old 05-26-2004, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Man, that thing looks obliterated !
Old 05-26-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL, you destroyed that sucker. That's kind-of impressive, actually.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Talked to George @ McLeod and as expected he said it was my fault. He said "this happens all the time" and that this clutch cannot be slipped. He continued to say the car needs to be launched at a high enough RPM to spin the tires when launching to prevent the clutch from slipping(he suggested I launch @6000 rpm)WTF. He then said that when the tires dont spin and the Street Twin clutches do, they heat up enough to un-glue the friction material from the aluminum disc.
He instructed me to send it back to him for inspection but did not indicate what compensation he has planned.
What do you guys think of his comments? I personally think its a Crock of ****. I have to launch my car at 6000 rpm to keep the clutch from exploding? I thought we try to prevent wheelspin, isnt that why guys put slicks on? I never had problems like this with any of the other clutches that have been in the car including the stock unit.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

What kind of ****-*** glueing is that? If it was a full on race clutch, I would expect it to maybe eat the friction material faster if slipped, but come unglued? Jesus. MikeyWS6 on here has the same setup, and he is really happy with it. Lotsa miles, tons of launches. Of course, he launches off the limiter.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

George at McLeod basically told me a Street Twin CAN ONLY BE LAUNCHED OFF THE REV LIMITER!!! Anything less and it will superheat and come unglued. NOWHERE is this mentioned in the literature that comes with the clutch.
Old 05-26-2004, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

I'm sorry, did I catch "street" in there? What the hell is streetable about a rev limiter clutch dump pos clutch?
Old 05-27-2004, 05:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ws6rufus
Go here for the story behind it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174316

All the friction material is completely gone from one side of the floater disc.

I'll be calling McLeod tomorrow. Its going to be an interesting phone call.
Hello, I was just curious on what setup you have? I have a brand new Ls1 street twin from Mcleod that I need to sell. Everything is brand new and ready to install. Even comes with new adjustable master. The unit has a aluminum flywheel instead of steel. Don't know what Mcleod will say about you situation but for a little more money than a rebuild you could have a entire new unit. If interested, toss out an offer.
Attached Thumbnails Pic of my toasted McLeod Twin Disc-23587941509_468.jpg   Pic of my toasted McLeod Twin Disc-23588028549_468.jpg  
Old 05-27-2004, 09:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

That really sucks.

"This happens all the time."

WTF? Then he should do something about it if it happens all the time.

Screw that organic clutch material. For a decent race clutch, ceramic is the only way to go. See if they'll rebuild it with a better material.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Camaroholic]That really sucks.

"This happens all the time."

WTF? Then he should do something about it if it happens all the time.
QUOTE]

Good to know McLeod clutches fail all the time, I'll make sure to buy another Ram when the time comes...please thank George for the timely information.

Old 05-27-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ws6rufus
George at McLeod basically told me a Street Twin CAN ONLY BE LAUNCHED OFF THE REV LIMITER!!!
If the clutch is an all out race clutch, than I can see the holding true. But you say its a "street" clutch, so I think he is full of ****.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not too versed on the dual disk clutches but I am suprised to see that both disks are organic even for a 'street' race clutch. I too had always heard "Get the McLeod twin disk and never worry about your clutch again." and this is the second roasted twinny I have heard about recently...

The six grand launch advice is troublesome too. BTW, congratulations on getting a hold of McLeod tech. I have been trying to get through for days regarding a new steel insert for their AL flywheel and other little things for days but it either rings and rings or is busy.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:04 AM
FormerVendor

The organic material here is the issue. It is NOT designed to be slipped like, say, sintered iron can be. The Cf is too low on organic, that is why they are telling you to hammer it off the line. I suspect in 'normal' street driving this unit would work fine. But to race it hard takes a material for that intended use.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok that is bull ****!! a 1300 dollar clutch should bark tires in every gear while granny shifting! when you pay for the best clutch on the market it should perform like it. raise hell and tell him we are watching the situtation VERY close and if they dont fix it, well no need to make threats. atleast not real bad ones. but no joke, we are watching.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now im not standing up for mcleod, And I agree its bull **** but.
I have seen people do that to clutchs in very short time periods. I put a clutch in a customers c4 about 3 weeks ago. IT came in on a hook 440 miles and two weeks later put it in the air and chunks of friction material were hanging out the bellhousing. So I wrote him an estimate for another 2800$ clutch job. Had a guy with a turbo with 270 miles on his car , and the car wouldnt go any where. Same thing wrote an estimate for around 5 gs. Its hard to warrenty a clutch becasue if you dont know how to drive it properly its gonna go up in smoke. We have had cars go for a demo and the clutch explode. And im here to tell you its not the clutchs fault. Honestly I would have called this situation (with the street twin) driver error, except for the mecloud saying you have to dump at the limiter. After saying that I think you should get a refund and should go get a spec.
Old 05-29-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ta12sec
Now im not standing up for mcleod, And I agree its bull **** but.
I have seen people do that to clutchs in very short time periods. I put a clutch in a customers c4 about 3 weeks ago. IT came in on a hook 440 miles and two weeks later put it in the air and chunks of friction material were hanging out the bellhousing. So I wrote him an estimate for another 2800$ clutch job. Had a guy with a turbo with 270 miles on his car , and the car wouldnt go any where. Same thing wrote an estimate for around 5 gs. Its hard to warrenty a clutch becasue if you dont know how to drive it properly its gonna go up in smoke. We have had cars go for a demo and the clutch explode. And im here to tell you its not the clutchs fault. Honestly I would have called this situation (with the street twin) driver error, except for the mecloud saying you have to dump at the limiter. After saying that I think you should get a refund and should go get a spec.
$2800 for a clutch& install?!!! why so much?
Old 05-29-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverbeast
$2800 for a clutch& install?!!! why so much?
800 for the cluch 950 for the flywheel 8 hours labor at 125 an hour, and tax its right around 2800 bucks. Makes ya stop bitching about the price of ls1 parts. A turbo clutch is just under 5 grand because the disk is 1500 and 22 hours at 125 an hour (it seems like alot until you realize you have to pull the engine to get the trans out and thats no small feat), thats 4250 plus tax, god forbid you need any thing else. slave =2200 flywheel= 1600? (close to that)

Quick Reply: Pic of my toasted McLeod Twin Disc