Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone make Aluminum shims?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone make Aluminum shims?

I just saw Ticks slave shims are steel....anyone make aluminum versions?
Old 03-05-2015, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Nobody huh? I don't know why but the shims that are out are made as heavy as possible steel. The shim only sits in a 1/2"or so shelf on the transmission and yet its a complete full circle with just a hole big enough for the input shaft. Why have all this extra metal and weight?
Old 03-05-2015, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pardon me but why does it matter so much? I assume you could make one on your own which I have considered doing but steel that small isnt more than several ounces. You'd be much better off getting the lightest clutch possible
Old 03-05-2015, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by redbird555
Pardon me but why does it matter so much? I assume you could make one on your own which I have considered doing but steel that small isnt more than several ounces. You'd be much better off getting the lightest clutch possible
1. Galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals
2. Steel rust
Old 03-05-2015, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
1. Galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals
2. Steel rust
Steel and aluminum galvanic corrosion is only marginally increased when the two metals are mated together as compared to aluminum/aluminum being mated together. There is much worse combinations of metals that is rapidly consumed, but something I would worry about is aluminum being up to the job to act as a shim. I would think that the aluminum may be sacrificial and cause problems further down the road as it wears but then again I could be wrong.

I think the effort vs gain isn't worth the need to make shims out of aluminum, and this is the first I have heard of someone bringing that up being worried about it.
Old 03-05-2015, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by N20zuki
Steel and aluminum galvanic corrosion is only marginally increased when the two metals are mated together as compared to aluminum/aluminum being mated together. There is much worse combinations of metals that is rapidly consumed, but something I would worry about is aluminum being up to the job to act as a shim. I would think that the aluminum may be sacrificial and cause problems further down the road as it wears but then again I could be wrong.

I think the effort vs gain isn't worth the need to make shims out of aluminum, and this is the first I have heard of someone bringing that up being worried about it.
The slave base it self is aluminum, an aluminum shim isn't going to wear being stacked behind the slave. It's just taking up space. You don't get galvanic corrosion with aluminum on aluminum, there no anode/cathode relationship going on.
By all means a steel shim works, I just think a better quality product would be milled out of aluminum for the sake of weight and corrosion prevention. Not to mention easier to machine
Old 03-05-2015, 11:41 PM
TECH Veteran

The tooling doesnt really matter as pretty much any shop can machine ether material. And I cn say without a doubt you'll need a new clutch and trans rebuild even before any real corrosion happens between the shim and the slave.

They also charge 40 bucks for steel ones I can only imagine what aluminum would cost. I'm not trying to rain on the parade here I just dont see a need for one especially since no ones sees it, steel works, and it would cost more for a part that already costs too much lol
Old 03-06-2015, 09:08 AM
TECH Addict

The tooling doesnt really matter as pretty much any shop can machine ether material. And I cn say without a doubt you'll need a new clutch and trans rebuild even before any real corrosion happens between the shim and the slave.

They also charge 40 bucks for steel ones I can only imagine what aluminum would cost. I'm not trying to rain on the parade here I just dont see a need for one especially since no ones sees it, steel works, and it would cost more for a part that already costs too much lol

Shims are $15, and I would easily pay $20-$25 for aluminum. like I said steel works, but aluminum is better. Clutches are easily replaced and they wear. I wouldn't want to buy a new shim (if you can find one) every couple years. I just bought a RAM 598 shim and already rusting in the package.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

just because you buy a shim for one clutch doesnt mean its going to work for the next one. In fact that's 99% not going to happen as every clutch is different. so you will be buying a new shim every time. I was also speaking about the variety pack which costs 40 bucks. If you buy a clutch that normally needs a shim its not worth the 25 bucks to me to have to wait 3 days when you have the car apart to measure and then order a single shim than to just order the variety when you buy the clutch.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

just because you buy a shim for one clutch doesnt mean its going to work for the next one. In fact that's 99% not going to happen as every clutch is different. so you will be buying a new shim every time. I was also speaking about the variety pack which costs 40 bucks. If you buy a clutch that normally needs a shim its not worth the 25 bucks to me to have to wait 3 days when you have the car apart to measure and then order a single shim than to just order the variety when you buy the clutch.

It will if I use the same clutch and slave. I didn't intend for this post to be "which is better", arguing about it is worthless.

Aluminum is better, looking for aluminum shims

Quick Reply: Anyone make Aluminum shims?