Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick vs RPM Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Tick vs RPM Transmission

2001 WS6

sold my t56 and need a new tranny. Going with one of our sponsors or a non sponsor. Rpm is highest priced and tick is in the middle. I'm leaning towards tick but can't ignore rpm, despite their 700 difference from tick. Shying away from non sponsor due to potential inexperience with this specific transmission...I know he's good on regular rebuilds and would probably save me a few hundred bucks from ticks price.

I'm considering the t56 magnum (not super magnum) tr6060 conversion from tick for 4500. With the same upgrades, rpm wants about 5200. I'm skipping the polishing and cryogenic.

I've called several places and of course they all do the best work. I've been hesitant to ask what differentiates them from their competitors as I fear "pissing off the waiter". I've always had bad luck with daily driver transmissions at local shops and this one is going to cost more than triple what I ever spent on a tranny. Therefore, I've been reading all I can on this forum, which provides me with info and a voice. I realize both tick and rpm pay a fee to be sponsors.

so, to avoid potentially pissing off the waiter and hear from those with personal experience, is the the 700 premium for an RPM Transmission worth it (why) or will my expectations be met just as equally with Tick?

why do I keep hearing that t56 parts are going to be manf in China now? Is this a concern I need to consider?

finally, if there does end up being an issue and is not resolved by the sponsor, could my experience be shared without being blocked?

thanks!

! Somethings missing...
Old 03-27-2017, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts

I've heard nothing but good things about both.....
Old 04-13-2017, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with tick
Old 04-18-2017, 04:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

And if it's just a regular T56 Magnum setup, D&D have them for <a commercially attainable fee>

<non-sponsor link deleted>

For most I cant see why that wouldnt be perfectly acceptable. Pretty sure gnx7 on here has mentioned many times he just uses a 100% stock Magnum ( not a T56 adapted though ) with great success.

Most of them are all offering the same ratio choices regardless anyway ? RSG might offer a few more, but whether they can build them in a T56 FBody fitment is another matter. I tried multiple times to get an answer from them on this and for some reason they would never oblige an answer.

Last edited by wssix99; 04-18-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: non-sponsor soliciting
Old 04-20-2017, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was searching for my trans rebuild I was also looking at the magnums and like OP stated, i noticed the difference in price. From what I gathered ticks magnum is drop in if using stock rear even with stock driveshaft. With rpm I think you have to still have your driveshaft cut and/or have the yoke changed. I ended up with going with a rpm rebuild forgot exactly why. The bill was 3k for their stage 1 but needed all the syncro assemblies and input shaft. Thinking I should of just went with tick magnum. For a little more! i have a rattle between 1800 and 2k only which I cant figure out.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eiyse98ls1
When I was searching for my trans rebuild I was also looking at the magnums and like OP stated, i noticed the difference in price. From what I gathered ticks magnum is drop in if using stock rear even with stock driveshaft. With rpm I think you have to still have your driveshaft cut and/or have the yoke changed. I ended up with going with a rpm rebuild forgot exactly why. The bill was 3k for their stage 1 but needed all the syncro assemblies and input shaft. Thinking I should of just went with tick magnum. For a little more! i have a rattle between 1800 and 2k only which I cant figure out.
Our T56 Magnum builds are a direct replacement for the F-body and GTO T56 with the exception of the driveshaft yoke which must be changed to accommodate the larger 31 spline output shaft of the T56 Magnum.

Tick's T56 Magnums also require this change.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

The list of reputable installers that use RPM Transmissions convinced me to pick RPM over the other vendors. Lingenfelter Performance Engineering, Katech and many other shops use RPM and I would think LPE & Katech have a very demanding customer base that want top notch quality.

In any case after researching this over the last couple of weeks, I selected RPM Transmission for the TA's new Magnum, Carbon Fiber drive shaft & McCloud Twin disc RXT clutch. Customer service at RPM has been fantastic. I'm looking forward to the install in the next week.

Other quality vendors also do excellent T56's for example my 91 RS has a Hawk's Motorsports level 2. Research and pick the best for your application.

Based on my personal experience buying T56 these are my transmission vendors of choice.

Best wishes with your project PBarby.

Last edited by 99 Black Bird T/A; 04-25-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel enough time has lapsed w my new tz trans from rsg that I could provide honest feedback. I love the transmission. It shifts flawlessly. The support george provided before and after the sale is unheard of these days...he even responded to emails and called me on sat/sun. The green trans fluid smelled very strong but I don't smell it at all now that it's installed. The spring on the rear seal fell off at some point causing a leak, but was able to recover the spring and pick up a $20 replacement seal at napa. The bellhousing was purchased from RSG as well and provides more window room for inspection. RSG referred me to tick for my z06 clutch setup which is doing good as well.

I didn't go w RPM because I didn't have a core. They were out of cores and didn't anticipate getting any good cores anytime soon. I almost went with tick but the amount of time george spent answering my questions and following up put rpm higher on my list. I'm a business analyst by trade and RSG scored a little higher with my own calculations.

The RSG TZ requires a new slip yoke as well which george gave me the part number to purchase on my own (purchased his anyway). Length of trans was the same as stock as well as shifter placement. The more aggressive 5 6 gears are awesome on the hwy. It was literally plug and play wo the skip-shift.

Sounds like all the tranny places talked about on this post would have worked out just as well.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:08 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

I came to recommend RSG but appears you already got one! I totally agree George knows what he's doing on both sides of the bench. I've beat on mine a fair amount and no complaints from the trans so far!

Quick Reply: Tick vs RPM Transmission