Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Still have problem after bleeding clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Still have problem after bleeding clutch

I posted a couple of weeks ago about having a problem getting the car into gear. Several people suggested bleeding the hydraulics. Today I bled the hydraulics, but I still have the same problem.

Here's what I did:
- with the car off I had a friend pump the clutch several times, then hold it to the floor.
- I opened the bleeder until fluid stopped coming out, then closed it
- refilled the reservior
- repeated above steps probably 10 to 12 times

Once we were done I started the car to take it for a test drive, but couldn't get it into gear. The clutch pedal actually felt a little worse than before I bled the clutch. In addition, during the bleeding process, the clutch made a loud squeeking sound every time my friend pushed it in.

Did I bleed the clutch incorrectly? Or could I possibly have a bad slave cylinder?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 06-28-2004, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are you using for hydraulic fluid?

I got fancy on mine and used synthetic brake fluid, and the clutch hydraulics evidently hated it. Very hard to get into gear, and w/ the car on stands you could see the rear wheels start turning when I went into 1st gear.

I purged the synth fluid and installed regular Castrol brake fluid...same bleeding procedure again, and it's been happy ever since.

No clue why the synth brake fluid did what it did.

I do nearly same procedure as you listed, except for the following:

1) I have my friend release the clutch pedal after I tighten the bleeder.
2) I use my MityVac w/ conical tip to vac-bleed the master cyl via the reservoir.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to make sure I was bleeding the system properly and it sounds like I was.

I used the standard DOT 3 Brake Fluid.

I may try bleeding it again this weekend. And if that doesn't work I'll probably try bleeding the master cylinder. At least it will give me a reason to buy another tool (MityVac)

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 06-28-2004, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

IMO man, take it to a shop that has alot of ls1 experience, have them do it. Ive tried 3 times now and i still cant get it all out (mityvac as well)
Old 06-28-2004, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I probably would take it to a shop with a lot of LS1 experience, but I can't find one near Cleveland, Ohio.

Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 07-05-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

O.K., I tried bleeding the system with the Mityvac and I still have the problem. I'm starting to get the feeling that the problem is not air in the system. Anyone have any suggestions of what else it could be?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 07-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

My car was having the same problem. I bled it using the Mity Vac and things went well for a couple weeks. This weekend something let go. The reservoir was empty. When refilling, the fluid basically went straight from the reservoir to the concrete. So, as I type, I'm getting the updated master and slave installed. The stock clutch was apparently used up too, so a new SPEC 3 with aluminum flywheel is going in.

The stock 99 clutch and hydraulics lasted longer than I thought... 60K.

Your circumstances sound similar. So good luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ACCELR8
I posted a couple of weeks ago about having a problem getting the car into gear. Several people suggested bleeding the hydraulics. Today I bled the hydraulics, but I still have the same problem.

Here's what I did:
- with the car off I had a friend pump the clutch several times, then hold it to the floor.
- refilled the reservior

Once we were done I started the car to take it for a test drive, but couldn't get it into gear. The clutch pedal actually felt a little worse than before I bled the clutch. In addition, during the bleeding process, the clutch made a loud squeeking sound every time my friend pushed it in.

Did I bleed the clutch incorrectly? Or could I possibly have a bad slave cylinder?

Thanks,

Jim
I don't think you're supposed to wait until fluid quits flowing because air will then let it's way into the slave. The way I do it, is I pump the pedal a couple times, hold it in or half way down, then I break the bleeder but shut it before the pedal goes all the way to the floor or before the fluid quits flowing. Otherwise, my reasoning says it will let air back into the slave. You may have other issues but knowing how much of a pain bleeding our clutches is, you may not. Sorry but that's all I can tell you.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies.

I'm convinced that there is something wrong with my hydraulics. So I'm planning to replace the slave cylinder. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do this so I'm going to be posting another thread asking for advice. Feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Jim
Old 02-21-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

I did the one-man pump the pedal and crack the bleeder from inside the car (I drilled a small hole through the trans tunnel). I try to quickly close the bleeder after opening it, but I wonder if I'm quick enough. I'm able to get all gears now, but it is just a little notchy at high rpms. I think I'll try opening the bleeder when the pedal is partially down and then keep pushing down while I close the bleeder (that makes sense). I have a mityvac but will probably hold off on that since I hear a lot of mixed reviews, and I don't want to make things worse....
Old 02-21-2005, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Scarecrow
My car was having the same problem. I bled it using the Mity Vac and things went well for a couple weeks. This weekend something let go. The reservoir was empty. When refilling, the fluid basically went straight from the reservoir to the concrete. So, as I type, I'm getting the updated master and slave installed. The stock clutch was apparently used up too, so a new SPEC 3 with aluminum flywheel is going in.

The stock 99 clutch and hydraulics lasted longer than I thought... 60K.

Your circumstances sound similar. So good luck.
I've updated the slave & clutch. I still have the same problem with the clutch having no pressure/ not going into gear. It was recommended to update the master. Just thought I'd give .02.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ACCELR8

Here's what I did:
- refilled the reservior

Thanks,

Jim
yeah it sounds like ur doing it wrong i wouldnt wait until the fluid stops, your supposed to wait til the fluid slows down and then close it. also make absolute sure that the fluid reservoir doesnt go empty. you might have to do this 30 times or more to get the pedal feel back.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bled my clutch last week. I was doing it like you at first, leaving the valve open too long. I had my friend pump the pedal 30 times and hold it down the last pump. I would open the bleeder valve, switch the ratchet to clockwise, and tigten it back up. I did this as quick as possible. After only 2-3 sequences the feel came back, but I did it a few more times for good measure. About the squeaking, mine did the same thing, but after I took it for a test drive and came back, it didn't do it anymore. Goodluck!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 09:07 AM
10 Second Club

Brian...get a 1/4" drive breaker bar. Much easier to use....
Old 02-23-2005, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dustin Butts
Brian...get a 1/4" drive breaker bar. Much easier to use....
Thanks for the heads up my man!!! I will do that next time around.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Where is the bleeder valve for the slave cyclinder, I need to change my fluid as well...
Old 02-24-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

It's about 2 inches directly above where the braided steel pressure line goes into the bellhousing. There is a hole there. The fitting is in that hole. You have to feel for it. You can't see it.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

hey guys, no one mentioned it but does your fluid just drain into the bell housing?? is it okay if it does? I've tried the spark plug cap with the vacuum line but I can't open it or close it. just did it with the wrench and now I got fluid drippin out of the bottom of the housing.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

i've done several of these drill mods and clutch swaps. the best way i've found is to bench bleed the master. the slave should be fine, don't touch it.if it in the car try this .disconnect the feed line at the slave.have a buddy pump up the pedal and hold use a 3/16 punch and push the end of the fitting on the line. the fluid will shoot out with much force. be sure not to drain the resivoir.
by the way i put a centerforce in my 99. i used the stock slave and a stock 97 master the pedal stop had to moved up so the clutch pedal sits forward the brake pedal about an inch. but the clutch works great.neither the 99 or an 02 master worked just couldn't shift quickly it always ground.
hope this helps, matt

Quick Reply: Still have problem after bleeding clutch