Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

TR6060 to LS1 not matching up

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TR6060 to LS1 not matching up

Hi hopefully this thread hasn't been exhausted somewhere but I haven't found much info on this. I've got an LS1 I'm pairing to a 2012 tremec 6060. Having some issues getting the McLeod 1400 series throw out to sit gapped properly. Clutch is McLeod super street pro kit 75223. Currently the throw out is about an inch away and should only be within a hundred thousands or so. Anyone have any experience with this setup? Probably going to end up going back to a stock gm TO if I can't get it sorted. Just don't understand how I'm so far away from the pressure plate fingers.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Put a stock slave cylinder in it, or use a $600 tilton one.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Put a stock slave cylinder in it, or use a $600 tilton one.
Waiting to hear from mcleod tomorrow hopefully, but yeah i think GM stocker might be the way to go. Kinda wondering why they would suggest their throw out if it obviously doesn't work...
Old 04-06-2020, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What’s the distance from where the slave cylinder mounts to the end of the bellhousing on that tr6060
Old 04-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nmass399
What’s the distance from where the slave cylinder mounts to the end of the bellhousing on that tr6060
Can't remember exactly but based on the picture above you can see an unreasonable gap. According toBilly from McLeod, "It looks like you might need another spacer. No way to tell until you get the parts and measure it out." I guess I expected the company to do it's R&D before just telling you to buy their stuff and it will work. Sending it back and going stock GM.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jarrett wininger
Can't remember exactly but based on the picture above you can see an unreasonable gap. According toBilly from McLeod, "It looks like you might need another spacer. No way to tell until you get the parts and measure it out." I guess I expected the company to do it's R&D before just telling you to buy their stuff and it will work. Sending it back and going stock GM.
I know about what the T56 stuff should be in demensions but I’ve never measured a tr6060. From the pictures I’ve seen it looks to have a longer input shaft and the measurement between where the slave mounts to the end of the bellhousing is more than 5.5 inches like on the quick time bellhousing and GM T56.

I wouldnt buy anything else till you get these measurements.....

Old 04-06-2020, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

I know about what the T56 stuff should be in demensions but I’ve never measured a tr6060. From the pictures I’ve seen it looks to have a longer input shaft and the measurement between where the slave mounts to the end of the bellhousing is more than 5.5 inches like on the quick time bellhousing and GM T56.

I wouldnt buy anything else till you get these measurements.....
We did measure and that's when we saw an obvious air gap. So then we paired the bell housing with the mainshaft attached. Partofthe problem is the bellhousings for tr6060 are integrated to the main plate (found out the hard way 4 quarts of trans oil later). So when you pull it off, the mainshaft is connected to it. So making measurements is sort of backwards. But the old stock gm throw out would've worked since it came out of a Camaro from the same ls family. Unless I'm missing something entirely here.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

We did measure and that's when we saw an obvious air gap. So then we paired the bell housing with the mainshaft attached. Partofthe problem is the bellhousings for tr6060 are integrated to the main plate (found out the hard way 4 quarts of trans oil later). So when you pull it off, the mainshaft is connected to it. So making measurements is sort of backwards. But the old stock gm throw out would've worked since it came out of a Camaro from the same ls family. Unless I'm missing something entirely here.
I got ya, I figured the stock slave would work fine but I wasn’t sure what the stack height is on that clutch assembly vs what a stock ls3 clutch is. I don’t like that integrated bellhousing design.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

I got ya, I figured the stock slave would work fine but I wasn’t sure what the stack height is on that clutch assembly vs what a stock ls3 clutch is. I don’t like that integrated bellhousing design.
I was sort of just hoping like with the rest of the build, aftermarket would be the ticket but it looks like in this case, GM might have the better idea. And yes, I agree, the oil spilling out all over the floor was an unwanted surprise that's for sure. But hey I got the trans for $1500 so 🤷
Old 04-06-2020, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was sort of just hoping like with the rest of the build, aftermarket would be the ticket but it looks like in this case, GM might have the better idea. And yes, I agree, the oil spilling out all over the floor was an unwanted surprise that's for sure. But hey I got the trans for $1500 so 🤷
1500 is not too bad of a deal as long as it’s in good shape. I would have guessed that the 1400 series slave that you got would extend far enough out. I know that Tilton has a large adapter for theirs that sits their slave out an inch or so further on the Tr6060. I would have to look at it again to be sure. The stock gm unit seems to be the best bet and it’s a boat load cheaper.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

1500 is not too bad of a deal as long as it’s in good shape. I would have guessed that the 1400 series slave that you got would extend far enough out. I know that Tilton has a large adapter for theirs that sits their slave out an inch or so further on the Tr6060. I would have to look at it again to be sure. The stock gm unit seems to be the best bet and it’s a boat load cheaper.
Yeah you would think they would know by now what works with modern,common transmissions. I heard tilton would be a good choice too but at this point I just wanna get the motor and trans mounted. So I'm gonna play it safe
Old 04-10-2020, 04:03 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

The 6060 BH is taller than the old T56 stuff, around 1/2" or so ?

Make sure you also have the correct input/spigot bearing in the end of the crank

If that McLeod slave does not have sufficient travel, or cannot be spaced, you'll want the correct slave from a 6060...assuming that clutch/flywheel combo is even the correct height.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
The 6060 BH is taller than the old T56 stuff, around 1/2" or so ?

Make sure you also have the correct input/spigot bearing in the end of the crank

If that McLeod slave does not have sufficient travel, or cannot be spaced, you'll want the correct slave from a 6060...assuming that clutch/flywheel combo is even the correct height.
The clutch package is correct, as it would pair up with all the LS family blocks the same im assuming. The McLeod slave sits on a collar that isn't long enough to hold the slave within .150 of the fingers on the pressure plate. Its odd to me they wouldn't have this knowledge on hand, but yet directed me towards their products. So now i spent 30$ to send it back to them, and had to order a stock gm slave from Tick performance. As far as the pilot bearing is concerned, which i think your referring to, its the stock one that came with the motor. Needle bearing based and spins very nicely. The main shaft splines hooked up nicely when we mocked it all up, just wasn't even remotely close to the specified air gap needed.
Old 04-11-2020, 04:23 AM
9 Second Club

The clutch package is correct, as it would pair up with all the LS family blocks the same im assuming. The McLeod slave sits on a collar that isn't long enough to hold the slave within .150 of the fingers on the pressure plate. Its odd to me they wouldn't have this knowledge on hand, but yet directed me towards their products. So now i spent 30$ to send it back to them, and had to order a stock gm slave from Tick performance. As far as the pilot bearing is concerned, which i think your referring to, its the stock one that came with the motor. Needle bearing based and spins very nicely. The main shaft splines hooked up nicely when we mocked it all up, just wasn't even remotely close to the specified air gap needed.
The correct bearing for a 6060 car is a proper bearing. Not the needle roller set deeper into the crank.

Chances are with your 6060...the nose of the input shaft is not reaching the bearing properly.

You're making assumptions about parts. Yes many LS parts are the same fitment...but given there have also been many variations, a lot are not all the same.
Old 04-11-2020, 08:34 PM
Staging Lane

The correct bearing for a 6060 car is a proper bearing. Not the needle roller set deeper into the crank.

Chances are with your 6060...the nose of the input shaft is not reaching the bearing properly.

You're making assumptions about parts. Yes many LS parts are the same fitment...but given there have also been many variations, a lot are not all the same.
Interesting, well the stock GM slave just showed up so we will be pairing it Monday most likely. You say proper bearing, what does that mean? The included pilot was just basically a spacer. It had no mechanical roller mechanism, if that's what your referring too. And from what I remember, it seated quite well when we locked it up.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:07 AM
9 Second Club

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-G...-/401889889199

And what are you talking about spacers ? There are no spacers.

You said you used the old spigot bearing which was a needle roller type inset into the crank ? That is not the correct type.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-G...-/401889889199

And what are you talking about spacers ? There are no spacers.

You said you used the old spigot bearing which was a needle roller type inset into the crank ? That is not the correct type.
McLeod included what looks like a spacer that is the same diameter of the pilot bearing. But it had no bearing to it, it was solid. I understand I need to get the sealed roller but that is what I was referring too. I'm going to see if local auto parts stores has that pilot in stock.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Maybe it was a pilot bushing? Those do exist.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Maybe it was a pilot bushing? Those do exist.
So, I definitely needed to remove the LS1 pilot bearing as the input shaft barely rested on it when the engine was paired to the tr6060. Pulled it and replaced bearing with 5th gen Camaro bushing that sits more towards the trans and seats a tiny bit more snug. Got the stock gm slave and it was just under 1/4in from the clutch fingers. So it looks like that was the solution, stay stock on throw out.

Quick Reply: TR6060 to LS1 not matching up