Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

m6 shifter wont go in reverse....HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default m6 shifter wont go in reverse....HELP!!!!

heres the situation. i brought my car in to have a y pipe and catback put on. after it was done, i came back and the guy told me he took my car out for a drive down the road. reverse had to be working then or he couldnt have backed it out of the bay. well, when i got in to drive home, the shifter wont go past the 5-6 gate over to the reverse gate. i have to literally pull it over with both hands then it slides up into reverse. i took apart the shifter when i got home to inspect it. it moves fine to the right and fine to the left one click....but not two in order to get to the reverse gate. while i have my shifter out, does anyone know what this might be? is this a shifter problem or a tranny problem? im just wondering if he messed something up when he took it out. oh, by the way, it does it even when the car is off. i was thinking it might be the reverse lock out but would it still not go over with car off?

Last edited by The35thZ; 07-28-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2004, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

did u fix this ?
Old 07-31-2004, 10:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

The reverse lockout solenoid isn't hooked up properly.

The lockout solenoid is on the passenger's side of the trans, just under the shifter. There's an electrical connector on the bottom of it. Inspect to make sure it's plugged in, make sure the pins inside the solenoid connector aren't broken, and make sure the pins / wires aren't pushed out of the connector.

He probably just left it unplugged.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
The reverse lockout solenoid isn't hooked up properly.

The lockout solenoid is on the passenger's side of the trans, just under the shifter. There's an electrical connector on the bottom of it. Inspect to make sure it's plugged in, make sure the pins inside the solenoid connector aren't broken, and make sure the pins / wires aren't pushed out of the connector.

He probably just left it unplugged.
I left mine undone once. I would definately listen to him.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:31 AM
Staging Lane

Default No Reverse

If you find that the rev. lockout is plugged in and it still won't go in reverse, try removing the solenoid from the trans. It's off position (when the car's off) is actually engaged. Once removed fully, the shifter should go into reverse easily. While you have it out, look at the pins to make sure they're not bent. If you want to test it further put 12v power to one side (doesn't matter which side) and ground to the other, but be careful not to cross the power over or you may melt it. You should hear and feel it disengage. I doubt it's bad though. More likely bent pin.
On the other hand, if the tranny doesnt go into reverse with it out, then you've got problems, but I highly doubt that's the case.

By the way, I'm in serious need of the hydraulic line that goes from the master to the slave cylinder 98-02. Anyone with an extra one, please email me at dreinmann@msn.com

Later

Dan
Old 08-03-2004, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

fixed it...thanks guys
Old 09-22-2004, 05:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Was the Reverse lock out the problem? I just started having this issue.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is it messing anything up by forcing it over with two hands cause it feels like it don't want to go. What is extremely weird is My SES came on on the way to work yesterday and when I got to work it wouldn't go in reverse. Is there anyway these two could be related? Thanks
Old 09-22-2004, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nevermind I fixed it. I looked under the car and nothing was disconnected. I then went to the fuses. It was the Eng Sensor fuse IIRC. I took the 20 fuse from the horn and put it in and now everything is ok. I don't need a horn if they can't hear my exhaust then they are deaf. Sorry about all the dumb questions in the previous post.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ZR2877
Nevermind I fixed it. I looked under the car and nothing was disconnected. I then went to the fuses. It was the Eng Sensor fuse IIRC. I took the 20 fuse from the horn and put it in and now everything is ok. I don't need a horn if they can't hear my exhaust then they are deaf. Sorry about all the dumb questions in the previous post.
Hey im having this issue does anyone know where this fuse is. My car was originally a4 then converted to m6...is this fuse still in the same place in the auto cars?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by eacressey
Hey im having this issue does anyone know where this fuse is. My car was originally a4 then converted to m6...is this fuse still in the same place in the auto cars?
Chances are that your reverse lockout wasn't wired properly or at all when the swap was done. It has to be added when swapping from auto to t56. Id bet that when you get under the car, you wont find anything plugged into the reverse lockout solenoid on the back of the trans.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, this was anold post. Your auto ECM is not set-up to power the reverse solenoid. It is also not likely there is even a wire/ plug for it. You can make this functional by wiring a momentary 12 V powered switch( push button). You need to locate it so that you depress the switch and get 12V to the solenoid when you want reverse. It works well to have this button on the left side of the dash ...press the button with the left hand, shift with the right. You could also add a button to the shift ****.

Quick Reply: m6 shifter wont go in reverse....HELP!!!!