Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frostbite
Does anyone know which wires to tap into to allow the reverse lockout to work?
Post #213 in this thread has the info. This is for a '99 and up only.
To get the reverse solenoid to work put a pin in C2 44, run this wire to the solenoid and the other side of the solenoid to a pink wire on one of the O2 sensors, this is also the same circuit it's wired into from the factory.
and read a few posts back, install a diode between the two solenoid terminals.
Old 05-17-2006, 03:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FASTERthanYOU
If anyone wants to do a M6 to A4 swap, i have an A4 and want to swap to an M6.
We could just swap parts or work out some other deal. Let me know

haha, you would'nt be in fl would you?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Launching!

How Do U Get The Reverse Lockout To Work In A 98 Ta That Still Has The A4 Harness?
Old 05-17-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

It's basically same thing as other years excpept reverse lock out is pin 42 of the red connector. I moved red wire from pin 61 to 42. It's A4 transmission range signal C, one of the wires going to the round ( 20pin?) A4 plug.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Sorry For Beeing A Dummy, How Could I Tell Which One Is Pin 42 ?
Old 05-18-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

They are numbered It's in the PCM casting.
Old 05-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

I just completed an M6 swap in my 2000 WS6 and it went a lot smoother than expected. I bought a swap kit from Lambert's salvage and $2K and did the swap at home with some help from a couple buddies. My only mistake was I didn't replace the slave when I was in there. Everything works great however. I think $5 grand to swap was a little much was a little much to tell people that are thinking about it.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigJoeBob1
I just completed an M6 swap in my 2000 WS6 and it went a lot smoother than expected. I bought a swap kit from Lambert's salvage and $2K and did the swap at home with some help from a couple buddies. My only mistake was I didn't replace the slave when I was in there. Everything works great however. I think $5 grand to swap was a little much was a little much to tell people that are thinking about it.

wow that's the way to go, do you have any contact info for lamberts salvage? If it is against the rules to post there info could you pm it to me or hit me up on aim stevesrt4 ....thanks, steve.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

I finally got my swap kit and it has all the major components except the clutch switches which won't cost me much at all. Instead of buying the pigtails I will probably buy the connectors and make my own. I have a new PCM coming with a custom tune in it and will be ready to plug right in. Hopefully it has all the pins I need. But you say for a 98 the Reverse Lock is from Pin 42. But what is it for the clutch anticipation switch? I will probably end up wiring it in series with the one on the brake however I would still like to know. And I'm confused why there are 3 switches on the clutch. I know one is the clutch safety switch, and another the anticipation switch, what is the third used for?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
I finally got my swap kit and it has all the major components except the clutch switches which won't cost me much at all. Instead of buying the pigtails I will probably buy the connectors and make my own. I have a new PCM coming with a custom tune in it and will be ready to plug right in. Hopefully it has all the pins I need. But you say for a 98 the Reverse Lock is from Pin 42. But what is it for the clutch anticipation switch? I will probably end up wiring it in series with the one on the brake however I would still like to know. And I'm confused why there are 3 switches on the clutch. I know one is the clutch safety switch, and another the anticipation switch, what is the third used for?

I don't know all the details about the '98's but in all years the pins (that you might need to add) are in the harness not the PCM.
I forgot all I learned about the switches, but I know for a fact that one of the switches on the clutch is already wired in series with the switch on the brake pedal. My brake pedal switch has for wires going to it, assuming two for the brake lights and two for the circuit that runs in series with the clutch anticipation switch so either will shut cruise control off.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:42 AM
TECH Resident

sweet. My guy didn't send any switches with the pedals so I ordered both the safety switch and the anticipation switch, at least I hope that's what they were. The safety switch I know but GM calls it the position switch or whatever, and the anticipation is cruise control something. I had to special order them though, about 25 bucks total. Is the switch on the brake universal or do I need to order that one too? I tried to get those special connectors to make the reverse light, VSS, and reverse lockout pigtails but the ones from yearone don't come with the terminals inside, hopefully the dealership can hook me up with some for cheap.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

sweet. My guy didn't send any switches with the pedals so I ordered both the safety switch and the anticipation switch, at least I hope that's what they were. The safety switch I know but GM calls it the position switch or whatever, and the anticipation is cruise control something. I had to special order them though, about 25 bucks total. Is the switch on the brake universal or do I need to order that one too? I tried to get those special connectors to make the reverse light, VSS, and reverse lockout pigtails but the ones from yearone don't come with the terminals inside, hopefully the dealership can hook me up with some for cheap.
Aren't there any pick your part junkyards where you live? Even a similiar year V6 f-body with a manual trans will have all the switches, wire harness ends, etc that you need.

The reverse light switch connector ...I have seen under the hoods of GM vehicles from the early 80's and up, they use it often for various connections, plus every GM with a manual trans uses the same plug (regular vehicles-not big commercial trucks).

In the picture the auto brake pedal has two switches, IIRC I did not change my brake pedal switch, the one pictured should be out of an M6 car.
The two manual switches are wired in series, one goes on the clutch and one on the brake pedal. I guess I should have taken notes, thats about all I remember. These are spares I have pulled from a 2001 Z28 junkyard car.

Last edited by 8a8mfh; 01-10-2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

this has probably been covered before, but the A4 and M6 VSS and Reverse Light are the same right? So all I need to do is lengthen these two connectors? But I need a Reverse Lockout Pigtail? (I'm not planning on using CAGS so I'll have it deleted from the program)
Old 06-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Banned

this has probably been covered before, but the A4 and M6 VSS and Reverse Light are the same right? So all I need to do is lengthen these two connectors? But I need a Reverse Lockout Pigtail? (I'm not planning on using CAGS so I'll have it deleted from the program)
The M6 VSS is the same. The reverse light plug is different. I found a reverse lockout plug on an S10 truck ABS unit but I seem to be the only one.
Guess I told you all this already, hope you're not tired of my advice yet.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Resident

nah man, I just have a very short term memory lol. You're helping me out a lot! You told me that you found it in an S-10 but I don't remember if you said it was different or the same. Apreciate all the help! Oh, I found these on Ebay too, for all three it's 31 bucks, for just the reverse light and reverse lockout it's 22, 2 bucks for shipping.

http://stores.ebay.com/EFI-Connection

If you get the VSS make sure it's the right one! He has two different ones posted.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by therabidlama
Ok, i've got a question for you guys. I completed the A4 to M6 swap about 2 weeks ago and everything went great. Everything except the reverse lockout works like a charm. My question is, what wires do i splice into, and where are they located. I'm assuming there in the big cluster that plugs into the passanger side of the automatic transmission. Does anyone know for sure?
I need the same info for the LT1 A4 to M6 swap. The Afresh site is good until you get to the info about the wiring. It'll tell you to extend the brown and green wires but doesn't tell you where those wires are etc....... So if anyone has more detailed rewiring directions or even some pictures i would appreciate it.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone have detonation problems after swapping to a 6-speed? Everything was fine with the auto but with the 6-speed it eats spark plugs and detonates. Its not running lean and the knock sensors are working, any ideas?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you put a 6 speed tune in it?
Old 07-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Banned

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/536122-attention-6-speed-conversions.html
Read his other question about the same topic. I'm still waiting on the bin file. I'm assuming it still has the A4 tune in it even though he says it's been changed. Why? He says he changed it with HPTuners, OK, then why not run HPTuners scanner on it and see what it's doing in real time, UHH....I guess that would be too easy? And if it's got all these problems why are there no trouble codes.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm gonna gues he either A. spliced his A4 harness and crossed something or B. has an A4 tune in it.

Quick Reply: M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested