Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After owning my car for 8+ years and wanting to do this since the day I bought it, I've finally got my A4-->M6 swap pretty much buttoned up---the info in this thread is invaluable! It's nowhere near as tough as people make it out to be either. I kept hearing "just sell your car & buy a factory m6 car, the swap is too complicated". Besides cutting holes for the shifter & master cylinder it's pretty much just a bolt-in swap with a little wiring. If I had any advice to give anyone doing this, definitely take out the steering column. It makes getting to the pedals & master cylinder soooo much easier.

Here's my piece to add: I swapped parts with a member here, and he lost several different bolts. It was a chore to find the size of everything I needed by searching here, so here's everything I found in case it helps someone in the future.

Crossmember bolts (4): M10x1.5
Trans mount nut (1): M12x1.75
Shifter baseplate bolts (4): M8x1.25
Bell-to-block bolts (8): M10x1.5x40
Trans-to-bell bolts (8): M10x1.5x40
Slave cylinder bolts (2): M6x1.0

Also, the little 2 wire weatherpack plug and corresponding pins/seals for the reverse lights shown in M3EATER's pictures is available at your local NAPA for less than $5.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know how to wire in this connecter from the auto shifter? I have done some searching and couldn't find anything. This is for a 96 LT1 if it matters and I have swapped in an a4 harness as well. This is all I have left to do so help would be awesome!

Name:  wires.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  38.8 KB
Old 01-02-2008, 02:45 PM
Teching In

I found this info on another site when I did a search for the "manual trans anticipate switch" with the correct part number. I bought one from GM today for $13. I'm not doing a swap, I'm having starter problems and thought this switch was the easies (and cheapest!) place to start. I hope these numbers help someone, since GM decided to change them!

"If you have cruise control and you want your cruise control to disengage when you press the clutch pedal AND you have pedals out of a a 98 to 02 Firebird or Camaro AND your pedals did not come with a clutch disengage switch, then these part numbers will also help:
10180569 manual trans anticipate switch (clutch)
10194431 retainer (this is cheap piece of nylon)
12126463 connector (to the clutch switch listed above)"
Old 01-07-2008, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Default Just an FYI on the wiring.

I just found a website with the pigtails needed to do an auto->manual, and an manual->auto swap. Here's a link:www.eficonnection.com.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

So my buddy and I are going to swap trannys. My question is, what particulars will need to be hooked up in his M6 car once we slide in the A4? I see alot of info for making the M6 work in the A4 harness car, but is there anything special needed when you put the A4 in the M6? Do you need to get the whole 4L60E pigtail? Or is it easy to go A4 from M6?..
Old 01-15-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1Silverado05
So my buddy and I are going to swap trannys. My question is, what particulars will need to be hooked up in his M6 car once we slide in the A4? I see alot of info for making the M6 work in the A4 harness car, but is there anything special needed when you put the A4 in the M6? Do you need to get the whole 4L60E pigtail? Or is it easy to go A4 from M6?..
I would personally recommend you swap harnesses, it only takes maybe 20 minutes and you will have factory harnesses, no wire cutting or pigtails required, save yourself money and do it, you will know your car better than ever before ! unplug all wires from engine bay, remove plastic panel under glove box passenger side, and unplug 2 plugs, pull from engine bay, voila ! plug in new one and you are good

Been there done that
Old 01-16-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eddielb
I would personally recommend you swap harnesses, it only takes maybe 20 minutes and you will have factory harnesses, no wire cutting or pigtails required, save yourself money and do it, you will know your car better than ever before ! unplug all wires from engine bay, remove plastic panel under glove box passenger side, and unplug 2 plugs, pull from engine bay, voila ! plug in new one and you are good

Been there done that
Sounds like good advice. Are their any problems with doing this? So the wiring in the engine bay is part of the same that goes down to the tranny? It seems like it would be a huge process.....20 minutes?..
Old 01-16-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone?....So once everything underhood is unplugged, and you are under the dash, how much of a mess is it on the inside of the car? Is there just a small section of harness that goes to the tranny/pedals?? I am more worried about making sure the A4 works in his car. I know we can get the M6 in mine. I dont see alot of M6 to A4 info. Please, give me any insight into the whole harness swap.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?....So once everything underhood is unplugged, and you are under the dash, how much of a mess is it on the inside of the car? Is there just a small section of harness that goes to the tranny/pedals?? I am more worried about making sure the A4 works in his car. I know we can get the M6 in mine. I dont see alot of M6 to A4 info. Please, give me any insight into the whole harness swap.
Yep its just a bit of wires under the dash, 2 plugs by the panel under the glove box unplugs the harness coming from the engine bay behind the computer. The ones by the shifter can just be modded using the pigtails someone posted above to convert the 6 speed to auto or you can just swap the interior harness by the shifter with yours (i would do that thats what I did)
Old 01-16-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as far as the auto connecter right by the center console of the M6 car are all the 6 wires, you cut the plug off the auto car, and crimp/solder the wires onto the M6 car then plug the plug into the auto shifter, and for the M6 car the 6 wires are going to be routed.....

2 goto the reverse lights right side of the tranny (if your sitting in driver seat)
2 goto the cruise control which is the clutch pedal (this also stops your car from starting without having the clutch engaged.
2 goto the trunk release (you just crimp these wires together at the center console and your trunk release will work)
Old 01-17-2008, 03:58 AM
Teching In

Default would like complete step by step LS1 A4 to LS1 M6 swap, pm me plz

me and a friend are tradin out transmissions, my 98 Z28's A4 for his 2000 Z28's M6. i would love someone to pm me a complete step by step procedure for doing this swap.

thank you
joey
Old 01-17-2008, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

around page 6-15 there is a complete step by step in a word doc you can download
Old 01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Now I am being told by people that I will still have to do wiring even using the M6 harness? Is this true? Isnt the whole point of pulling the harness so you dont have to do any splicing? Will his M6 harness we able to be pulled all the way to the pedals etc, and vice versa? What about unclipping the airbag sensor?...Wont we have to do that?..What precautions do you make for the sensor?...
Old 01-17-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta

Those thinking about doing an M6 swap WARNING....WARNING ......WARNING. DO NOT BUY A 99+ YEAR WAIRING HARNESS FOR A 98 AND VISE VERSA. YOU WILL FRY YOUR PCM. I found out the hard way. 99+years are all the same 98 is the only year that was different.
So if my friends car is a 98 we cant swap harnesses for our swap across?....Can we just cut the harness at the shifter location and use the plug for the corresponding car? Im just trying to make sense of all this. I think I am right in saying that all the wiring for the M6 in my car can be done from the wires at the "A4 shifter plug"? But what about in his M6 car with my A4 in it? Do we just cut my A4 plug off my car and wire into his wires? I assume there is no central location of the wires in his M6 car as there is in the A4?

Last edited by LS1Silverado05; 01-17-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

So if my friends car is a 98 we cant swap harnesses for our swap across?....Can we just cut the harness at the shifter location and use the plug for the corresponding car? Im just trying to make sense of all this. I think I am right in saying that all the wiring for the M6 in my car can be done from the wires at the "A4 shifter plug"? But what about in his M6 car with my A4 in it? Do we just cut my A4 plug off my car and wire into his wires? I assume there is no central location of the wires in his M6 car as there is in the A4?
The 98's pcm and wiring harness is totally different from 99+ and are not interchangeable. He cannot use your '98 A4 harness on his '00 car. He needs a harness from a 99+ A4 car to make it work.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
The 98's pcm and wiring harness is totally different from 99+ and are not interchangeable. He cannot use your '98 A4 harness on his '00 car. He needs a harness from a 99+ A4 car to make it work.
Well mine is the 01 and his is the 98. So I wont have any trouble wiring the M6 into my 01 A4 harness right? The problem will arise from puting the A4 in his 98 M6 correct? Now knowing that we will leave the harnesses in the original cars, I will wire the M6 as this thread has show to do. But as far as the A4 in his, how do we wire that? Do we need to have the A4 connector pigtail from my car?, and wire to the corresponding colors at the console area of his car? At this point I need to know how we wire the A4 into his 98 M6 car. Thanks.. Above all, once the M6 is in my car, will it even start or move?...Or do we need to tow it to get tuned?

Last edited by LS1Silverado05; 01-18-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 AM
10 Second Club

But as far as the A4 in his, how do we wire that? Do we need to have the A4 connector pigtail from my car?, and wire to the corresponding colors at the console area of his car? At this point I need to know how we wire the A4 into his 98 M6 car. Thanks.. Above all, once the M6 is in my car, will it even start or move?...Or do we need to tow it to get tuned?
The wiring from your '01 car will not work on his '98. To run an automatic transmission in his '98, he will need an auto harness from a '98 car. No other way to do it.

As far as tuning, after you swap to M6 it'll run on the A4 tune but not great and it'll throw a bunch of SES codes. I didn't even try it on mine, I flashed a M6 tune into mine before starting it.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
The wiring from your '01 car will not work on his '98. To run an automatic transmission in his '98, he will need an auto harness from a '98 car. No other way to do it.

As far as tuning, after you swap to M6 it'll run on the A4 tune but not great and it'll throw a bunch of SES codes. I didn't even try it on mine, I flashed a M6 tune into mine before starting it.
Well I know now that my Harness wont work, but surely there is a way to wire, or "make" a harness that will allow the 4L60E to be recognized and operate in his car?.. If not...where is the best place to look for a 98 A4 harness?...
Old 01-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

My buddy has a T56 from a Viper that i can get for pretty cheap. What are the differences in the Viper T56 vs. F-body T56 that i should consider? I currently have a 4L60-E in my '04 Silverado ECSB.

EDIT: So far I have found the Viper has a larger you rear extension housing, a larger rear bushing and seal, and a 31 spline mainshaft. I know nothing about transmissions so this is gibberish to me now, but you've got to start somewhere
Old 01-29-2008, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Default traction control

well im in the middle of a t56 swap. the cars a 98 z28 with traction control. is there going to be any issues with the traction control working properly or working at all once im done with the swap? ive already purchased a used 98 z28 T56 ecu to go along with the swap. not sure if t56 ecu had traction control on it or not, will try and find out. if so, will all work the same? thanks for any help

Quick Reply: M6 to A4 and A4 to M6 Conversion info requested