Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

UMI Short Stick

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default UMI Short Stick

Did this install yesterday in about an hour. Works pretty damn good, 2nd to 3rd shift is awesome, such a difference. My only complaint is that the manufacturer did not send directions, I used the ones off of installuniversity. Total for the stick was under $40 and again, its great! Just wanted to share my experience.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mc01ta
Did this install yesterday in about an hour. Works pretty damn good, 2nd to 3rd shift is awesome, such a difference. My only complaint is that the manufacturer did not send directions, I used the ones off of installuniversity. Total for the stick was under $40 and again, its great! Just wanted to share my experience.
Glad you like it , We have gotten this complaint/suggestion before so we now include the install instructions, very sorry about that. Otherwise great to hear it went good!

Regards,
Ryan
Old 09-21-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

Can u send me the instructions? I am pretty sure i did everything right but I think the kit should also come with nuts for the bolts or something that can attach to the other side of the bolts. Wanna send me some, I'll keep raving about how much i like it
Old 09-21-2004, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Can u send me the instructions? I am pretty sure i did everything right but I think the kit should also come with nuts for the bolts or something that can attach to the other side of the bolts. Wanna send me some, I'll keep raving about how much i like it
Right now all I have completed is a rough draft of the install instructions, as soon as I get the final draft completed I'll send them your way.

We don't include nuts because the shifter base already has threads the bolts screw into, your is like this correct? One thing I will suggest is either lock tight or even just teflon tape on the bolts to keep them from backing out. Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ryan
Old 09-21-2004, 03:49 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd reccomend the teflon. It keeps mine nice and tight.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:32 AM
TECH Regular

one recommends teflon and the other lock tight. WHich one should i use, what is it (dumb question) and where can i pick some up (home depot). Thanks for the help
Old 09-24-2004, 08:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loctite!!!!
Old 09-24-2004, 10:11 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

one recommends teflon and the other lock tight. WHich one should i use, what is it (dumb question) and where can i pick some up (home depot). Thanks for the help
The only problem with the loctite is it'll be a pain to break loose if you need to take them out. The teflon is nice and easy to get out, but I've never had bolts back out with the teflon - and that's 4 different shifters. I'd go with the tape - it's not as messy either.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

where can i get the teflon at (home depot?) Is it tape? If it is do I just tape the bolts and screw them in? Man i sound dumb on this thread, sorry
Old 09-24-2004, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

More props to UMI. I'm loving mine on a Pro 5.0.
mc01ta, what shifter is it on? I really can imagine it being difficult - all I had to do was unscrew the old stick and screw this one on. I had some problems with the bolts backing out so I gues I'll get some Teflon tape in case it happens again.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:43 PM
TECH Junkie

where can i get the teflon at (home depot?) Is it tape? If it is do I just tape the bolts and screw them in? Man i sound dumb on this thread, sorry
Home Depot. Look around the plumbing section. It's really cheap.

-Mike
Old 09-24-2004, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

thanks for all the responses guys. I put this on a stock shifter on my 01 Trans Am...what a difference for a lil over $30! I can't imagine putting more money in the shifter, i'm happy with this. Installation was easy but after 15 miles of driving the stick has some play in it so thats why i've been asking questions about teflon, etc. Thanks everybody!
Old 09-24-2004, 04:00 PM
FormerVendor

We got our short stick back on sale in the GP section for $19.99 if anyone is interested. Check it out or send me a email or give us a call.

Regards,
Ryan

Last edited by UMI Performance; 09-26-2004 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:21 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

JEEZ! Can you believe after I said I never had any problems with the teflon tape and bolts coming loose that, well, my bolts started to come loose! I just doubled the amount of tape I put on the last time. The bolts wont be coming back out now
Old 09-25-2004, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a question about that stick. I noticed that its straight and not bent but I also notice that the holes where it mounts look to be machined at an angle. My question is, does the stick follow the same line as the shifter?

I have a B&M Ripper and I hate the stick that comes with it because it has such a severe bend in it that it makes me feel like Im shifting into the gear to the left of it.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:07 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Full-Force
I got a question about that stick. I noticed that its straight and not bent but I also notice that the holes where it mounts look to be machined at an angle. My question is, does the stick follow the same line as the shifter?

I have a B&M Ripper and I hate the stick that comes with it because it has such a severe bend in it that it makes me feel like Im shifting into the gear to the left of it.
The angle makes it feel much more natural. I think the throw would feel off it were machined straight.