Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Tranny Pretty Damn Tough

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 08:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Tranny Pretty Damn Tough

Our local club rented out Bradenton last night, so many runs were in store. Here is a paste of what I posted in my local club forum...

Well, I haven't made many passes down the track, but last night at BMP I found out the T-56 is pretty durable.

On my very first pass, I severely misshifted into 4th; I was nose to nose with a maroon 5.0 (who was that btw...?) and I was half way into 4th and halfway out when I popped the clutch.

The whole car shuddered violently and veered side to side, the engine bounced off the limiter, and my mirrors were vibrating so bad the images were distorted. I was looking out my mirrors for parts on the track! I was sure my night was over after pass #1.

I pulled around, brought her down to idle...listened (bent pushrod, grinding gearbox, blown rear?) but it all sounded normal as I went back into the gears.

I DO have a whinier rear today though, but that might have been from some bad wheelhops.

This misshift happened in part to my new clutch set up, which releases low to the floor. I was so used to my stocker releasing high up, that I forgot to keep the clutch mashed down when grabbing 4th. I wanted so badly to edge out the 5.0! If you are out there, who are you and what did you run on that pass? (I am the black stock-looking Z28, left lane.)

Anyway, GM makes shitty rears but that tranny held together after my **** up. And after more use on the clutch, it's release point is a bit higher today.

...dodged a bullet. And I don't plan on doing that again
Old 12-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Got lucky once, don't try your luck again!
Old 12-12-2004, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SCamaroS
Got lucky once, don't try your luck again!
Dude, I was so paranoid, I granny shifted for the next 2-3 passes. My traps went to hell.

Later on I recollected my confidence and did a personal best..12.2 @ 117, 1.9 60', RT.234.

(Heads/Smallish Cam/Bolt Ons)
Old 12-13-2004, 12:43 PM
Restricted User

damn with heads and a cam you're runnign 12.20s? I ran a 12.02 with headers, air lid, maf, and a cold air on nittos. drop the pressure in the tires more, like 12-14 when they're hot.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NBM2001Z28
damn with heads and a cam you're runnign 12.20s? I ran a 12.02 with headers, air lid, maf, and a cold air on nittos. drop the pressure in the tires more, like 12-14 when they're hot.
Yeah, I should be in the 11's.

My suspension is 100% stock and I was getting bad wheelhops all night. My best 60's were in the 1.9s. My trap speed (117) shows that my power is there, just got to get the launch working. Also, just to add another excuse, this was just my 3rd time racing

You got a A4 or M6? I am ordering BMR boxed control arms to keep my *** down from hopping down the track.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude

My suspension is 100% stock and I was getting bad wheelhops all night. My best 60's were in the 1.9s. My trap speed (117) shows that my power is there, just got to get the launch working. Also, just to add another excuse, this was just my 3rd time racing

You got a A4 or M6? I am ordering BMR boxed control arms to keep my *** down from hopping down the track.
m6 w/ completely stock suspension. I'm 17 too Basically a shift light is your best friend and make that right foot stay on the floor the whole time. i was running a 245 nitto on a 16" rim with 12 psi after a full pass in them. when they'd cool off they got to like 9 or so and then i did a decent burnout with them. Dumped at 4k it hooked pretty good and then put it the rest of the way down after the car moves forward so you dont accidently slip the clutch and raise the launch to like 5k or so. It's fun, kinda hard on some stuff but a lot of fun
Old 12-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 1ScrudeDude

m6 w/ completely stock suspension. I'm 17 too Basically a shift light is your best friend and make that right foot stay on the floor the whole time. i was running a 245 nitto on a 16" rim with 12 psi after a full pass in them. when they'd cool off they got to like 9 or so and then i did a decent burnout with them. Dumped at 4k it hooked pretty good and then put it the rest of the way down after the car moves forward so you dont accidently slip the clutch and raise the launch to like 5k or so. It's fun, kinda hard on some stuff but a lot of fun
Old 12-14-2004, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NBM2001Z28
lol, gotcha, both times

I agree with your advice. I need to shift closer to the rev limit (6800), and lower my tire psi. I was at 19 lbs.

I do lift throttle slightly into 3rd and 4th, so that slows me down. When you have a wife that you about not breaking ****, you tend to be conservative. (But it won't last.)

So thanks for your input. I am a drag race noOb, and you are a planet noOb (I'm 43). And my advice to you is don't get married!

PS: What are/were your short times? Also, I have a new 2 Step which worked like magic. Once I get my launch rpms dialed in, tires at the correct psi, and my BMR boxed control arms, no one will more consistent than me. A 1.7x 60' means high 11's every time
Old 12-14-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ya them 2 steps really help a stick car.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

yea i like my tranny to.

sounds like you didnt miss 4th.. but you got second instead
Old 12-14-2004, 05:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
yea i like my tranny to.

sounds like you didnt miss 4th.. but you got second instead

****, you're right! How did I NOT break anything? Holy pushrods Batman!

Boy this could have turned out a lot worse in that case...

[GAWD DAYUM]

edit: Dude, I thought you were there that night. We have a club member with your screenname. He's got a mid/low 11 sec 03 Cobra.

Makes you faster

Last edited by 1ScrudeDude; 12-14-2004 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: T56 Tranny Pretty Damn Tough