Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What are you road course and circle track guys using for a clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are you road course and circle track guys using for a clutch?

Just curious...I'm shopping with weight values in mind. The lightest configuration I'm finding for the LSx is probably Spec with their aluminum pressure plate housing option. Not good enough Who offers what? I'm looking for more off-the-corner umph.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 917 Posts

Quarter Master has a 8.5 inch clutch that will work great for road racing. At PRI they showed a steel flywheel that is about 12 pounds, and the whole assembly should be about 17 pounds.

http://www.quartermasterusa.com

Ask for Kevin.

Andrew
Old 01-04-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good deal. I'll give them a call. Any others to consider as well?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Lightweight Clutch Options

Tilton offers their UTGC setup for about $4500 . It's available in a lot of different configurations 4.5" 5.25" 2 or 3 disk and it includes flywheel , bellhousing , and I believe even a lightweight starter . As far as I've seen this would be the ultimate LSX clutch that comes with everything especially the ultimate price . The QuarterMaster Is sweet and a lot more affordable . I really like what the small diameter clutches do for revs . With the reduction in Moment Of Inertia they make a v8 rev like a chainsaw .
Old 01-04-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really like what the small diameter clutches do for revs . With the reduction in Moment Of Inertia they make a v8 rev like a chainsaw .
I hear ya. I have a Spec4 with the aluminum pressure plate housing option and an aluminum flywheel now and it spools up pretty quick. I've been a strip guy most of my life, but I'm going to try to get more serious into courses. I hit a course for the first time not long ago in a buddy's course-built C5, and let me tell you...Equally as exciting only the excitement lasts much longer than a 1/4 (or 1/8) mile

I'm about 75% along on a C5R engine, and now on to the clutch/trans. $4500 is up there. But, I guess for everything, it isn't too bad. I'll check into both manufacturers. Any clue on what a Quartermaster setup goes for? (have yet to call).
Old 01-04-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey NoseUp , How is that Aluminum Pressure Plate option . I'm hooked on revs myself and have considered the exact same setup . I was just concerned about durability and how it would hold up during launches . This isn't a strictly drag car and I love how the aluminum flywheel & low gear pull through the rpm range . As far as the Tilton setup I forgot to mention that UTGC stands for Ultimate Ground Clearance . When used with a dry sump it permits dropping the engine lower in the chassis than just a dry sump alone . I'll try and find the vendor that carried both so you can check them out . I believe you can achieve similar results w/ Quartermaster for less money . Both of them offer some really nice slave cylinders that I would like to see if they could be used without much machine work or fabrication .
Old 01-05-2005, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine has held solid to some raunchy, riding the rear panel launches on 29x18.5 Sportsman Pro's. But, this is @ 24xx raceweight. Give Spec a call and see what they have to say about the aluminum housing's ability.

With the whole lowering of the engine deal...The trans pan hangs just as low as a factory oil pan. I have yet to opened up a T-56. But when I do, I'll see how much I can chop it. The C5R engine will be dry sump.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing about the Quarter Master that sux is their throw out bearing... get the tri lite mounted one if at all possible... Tilton's come standard with a mounted TB if I remember correctly... Hey Nose up if you havent bought a dry sump set up yet check out Daily Engineering's web site they make the coolest dry sump pump pan combo I have seen for the LS1/LS6...
Old 01-05-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll give SPEC a call and ask about the pressure plate . 2400#'s that has to be a fun ride . I can't say I've ever seen a manual trans with a pan hanging under it , but the new CTS-VR or whatever they call it uses a T56 rotated on it's side for more ground clearance .
Old 01-05-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One thing about the Quarter Master that sux is their throw out bearing... get the tri lite mounted one if at all possible... Tilton's come standard with a mounted TB if I remember correctly...
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll have to draw out a pros and cons list for each to dicipher which is most valueable per it's cost.

Hey Nose up if you havent bought a dry sump set up yet check out Daily Engineering's web site they make the coolest dry sump pump pan combo I have seen for the LS1/LS6...
The pan is already about 95% complete. I still have to buy the pump though...I'll have to check them out and see what they have to offer.

2400#'s that has to be a fun ride .
A fun ride it is. I think if the car was any heavier, the cam in it now and the spool with the 15.5" wide skins would make street driving unbareable. A light car has many advantages. Look at the 100% untuned times in my sig. That's the first and last run (lack of safety equip. ) There's much more to be had with PCM tuning and drivetrain adjustments

I can't say I've ever seen a manual trans with a pan hanging under it , but the new CTS-VR or whatever they call it uses a T56 rotated on it's side for more ground clearance .
That's very interesting. I'll definitely have to look into that.

Last edited by NoseUp; 01-06-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,454 Likes on 917 Posts

Quarter Master was also showing an all new compact TO bearing that will work well with the T56 transmission. They will have a simple adapter plate that will allow you to install it the same was at the stock one. Should all be relatively straight forward, and work with a stock or McLeod MC.

Andrew

Quick Reply: What are you road course and circle track guys using for a clutch?