Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New owner questions

Hey guys. I just got my Trans am and i have a few questions for you. 1st this 1st, I believe the 6 spd is leaking oil. I don’t think it’s the rear main, simply because i just did a oil change and the oil that’s on the ground is dark brown in color and odorless instead of a "new oil gold" color. It’s coming from the little vent in the bell housing on the bottom of the t56. I’m new to standard trannys so the following questions might seem n00bish... you have been warned..

Tranny noise. I know our 6spds are noisy, but mine is sometimes noisey out of gear. Sometimes if i press the clutch in and let it out, the noise will go away. What could that be? The throw out bearing?

When going at full throttle, i push the clutch in to shift; i shift into the next gear, and let the clutch out as always. Now occasionally the clutch pedal won’t come all the way back up. It’s only happened when under full throttle, so far. What could that be?

and how do i check the oil level in the t56?

Any links to info and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

The T-56 doesn't have oil in it, it has Dexron III automatic transmission fluid in it. The stuff leaking out the vent on the bottom of the bellhousing is probably from the rear main oil seal if it is dark and it is oil.

The noise you are hearing is most likely the throw out bearing as you first thought.

The pedal sticking to the floor under full power shifting is probably a worn out pressure plate. At least that is what mine was. You will hear differing opinions on this. It could also be the hydraulics if you haven't done the drill mod.

There are 2 3/8 plugs for filling and draining the tranny. fill the tranny up till the fluid is up to the level of the fill plug. It takes about 4 quarts. I use a gear lube bottle with a small rubber hose on it to get the fluid up and into the fill plug. I just force it up into the tube by squeezing the bottle. Another way is to remove the shifter and pour the fluid in through the shifter hole. If you are going to add a lot of fluid, it is easier to remove the shifter, if you just need to add a little, the squeeze bottle works just fine.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 991LE
The T-56 doesn't have oil in it, it has Dexron III automatic transmission fluid in it. The stuff leaking out the vent on the bottom of the bellhousing is probably from the rear main oil seal if it is dark and it is oil.
But wouldnt it be "new oil gold" color since i just changed the oil? The fluid on the ground doesnt match the color of the oil thats in my engine.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-01-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Not if it is a slow leak. Oil that was caught up in the seal before the oil change could be leaking out and the oil changes color from the heat pretty quick. Look at the dip stick. The oil has probably started to change color already.

Originally Posted by AW794
But wouldnt it be "new oil gold" color since i just changed the oil? The fluid on the ground doesnt match the color of the oil thats in my engine.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Regular

man i hope it isnt the main, thats gonna be a bitch to change
Old 04-01-2005, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

Have you checked the little plastic reservoir for your hydraulic clutch master fluid? It's located near your brake fluid reservoir. It's a small round white plastic cannister. There should be fluid in the reservoir up to the line or indention on the reservoir body.
If it's low your slave(clutch actuator) is leaking. Could also be fluid from the small front seal on the transmission. To check your trans fluid, jack the car up level and remove the allen plug on the drivers side of the trans. You should be able to stick your finger in there and touch fluid. If not add some and check it again later.
Keep us posted. It's probably not engine oil. If it was it would've ruined your clutch and you'd have severe slippage by now.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:16 AM
TECH Regular

I checked the reservoir, and added some dot3 fluid. I havnt got a chance to get under the car to check the transmission fluid yet. The clutch seems strong, no slippage. Im still having the pedal problem though. I think im going to drop the tranny next weekend, and look around. Maybe replace the slave and the clutch. I have to replace the T/O bearing anyway.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:43 AM
10 Second Club

Sounds like a slave leakage problem. When you remove the slave you'll be able to tell if the front trans seal is leaking. New slave will run you about $120ish. Hopefully you can do the labor yourself. PM me if you need any help....
Old 04-03-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah ill be doing everything myself, ill let you know whats going on. Thanks Dustin

Quick Reply: New owner questions