Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just installed Mcleod bellhousing

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed Mcleod bellhousing

Anyone here have problem with there bellhousing being 7/8 of an inch thicker than stock. Ive got it all in but with the tranny up in the car now it sit too far back for me to get the drive shaft in because of the added length of the new bellhousing.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem here. I measured it next to the stocker before putting it in. The Mcleod with the motor plate was almost the same as stock. Maybe a 1/16-1/8" more.

Are you sure the DS is pushed in far enough. Sometimes the u-joint looks like it won't fit into the rear but there's the "sweet spot" where it falls right in. It your trans was moved back 7/8" the cross-member mount would be tweaked. Did that attach without issue?
Old 01-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Tranny mount doesnt line up either, Everything is back 7/8's i measured the bellhousing. Wish i measured b4 the install.

Im hoping thats its just a manufacturing error. Can anyone measure the lenght of bellhousing for me to used as a reference, Just the housing not the motor or adapter plates. Thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

I will tonight. I have mine out on the floor of my garage.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:02 PM
Teching In

That would be awesome, thanks.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK after reading this I went out and messured mine. Brand new mcleod and the stock bellhouseing. This was with a streight edge and in the middle of both.

stock was 5 1/2" Mcleod was 5 3/4"

Will this make a big difference? I see you say yours is 7/8". Could it not be seated all the way? check and let us know. I was going to do mine tonight but I think I'll wait and see hwo this goes first.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:39 PM
Teching In

It must fit the ls1 better then the lt1, my lt1 bellhousing is only 5 inches long, the mcleod housing with the motor plate is 5 3/4. i got a better measurement with the the trans outta the car now.

I cant see i 1/4" difference being a problem so you should be ok. but with me 3/4" is a bib problem. Gonna have to see where i can shave to lose at least 1/2"
Old 01-30-2006, 07:45 PM
9 Second Club

Didn't know it was for a LT1. In that case not sure what you can do with it.
3/4" is alot. If the tranny mount doesn't bolt up right and the bellhousing is seated completely, sounds like you'll need to contact Mcleod or the place you bought it from. Good luck resolving the issue.

Originally Posted by n2ojunkie
OK after reading this I went out and messured mine. Brand new mcleod and the stock bellhouseing. This was with a streight edge and in the middle of both.

stock was 5 1/2" Mcleod was 5 3/4"

Will this make a big difference? I see you say yours is 7/8". Could it not be seated all the way? check and let us know. I was going to do mine tonight but I think I'll wait and see hwo this goes first.
Shouldn't be an issue. I'm suprised it's a 1/4". Not sure if your aware of the little things you need to do to fit it. It doesn't just drop in. Well mine didn't anyway. Nothing serious. Here's a link to my install and "Fireball's".

http://www.fastlsx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9515
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/258875-mcleod-sfi-bellhousing-installed-pics-info-within.html

Last edited by SSmokin 01; 05-19-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Oh man I forgot to check for you. I will def. do it for you tomorrow night. I am sorry.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

This might be a silly question so I'm sorry for asking if ya did, but did you grind down that edge of the block that has to be done for the motor plate to fit correctly?
Old 01-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Well if you look online at mcleods catelog they used the same bellhousing for both ls1 and lt1 so i figured they should measure out the same.
As for the block grinding, im using a motown block which is flat on the bak so it didnt need to be ground.

I think im just gonna pull out the motor plate shave both mounting surfaces of the bellhousing and the mounting surface of the tranny. A little here and ther should give me what i need.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I read the install page on it that you and fireball did and it was good. I posted a question on that thread also about the bleeder. Would the 1/4" affect the throw out bearing at all? wouldnt that move it 1/4" away from the clutch at the same time, sence the flywheel doesnt move?

I will grind down that little ridge tonight and take another look at everything before I do it. I am also installing a mcleod twin disk at the same time. Would this make a difference at all? Thanks
Old 01-31-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

The McLeod bellhousing was designed for use with the LS1 6-speed. The LS1 transmission has a longer input shaft (5/8" longer, I believe). This accounts for the difference you're seeing.

I do not believe you can use an LT1 6-speed with the McLeod bellhousing. The input shaft won't make it to the pilot bearing. Even though the McLeod bellhousing has the correct bolt pattern for a small block chevy, it's designed for use with the LS1 input shaft.

What kind of linkage are you using?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:09 PM
9 Second Club

The more I think about it i'm surprised it's that much. I can't see it being any different than mine. I would think machining/manufacturing tolerances would be much closer than 1/4".

Try putting both bellhousings (including motor plate) next to each other on a flat surface. Now put your straight edge across the top of both. That'll show you the difference clearly.

Maybe when measuring from one to the other and comparing, some other variable came into play.

If it's still the 1/4" difference and you don't have an adjustable master, you may need to add a small shim to give yourself enough pedal travel to change the engagement/release point. It's also going to shift the tranny mount back on the crossmember which will end up tweeking it a little.

The throwout bearing should be resting on the pressure plate fingers when the tranny is installed. The spring (on the slave) will be compressed holding it firmly against them (the fingers). How much exactly, I don't know. I'd think it would have enough room to absorb some of the discrepancy in bellhousing heights. 1/4" sounds like alot though.

As far as the twin disk goes, I don't know. Don't have any experience with it.

Last edited by SSmokin 01; 01-31-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didnt set them side by side but they were very close. I did it on a cement floor in my polebarn. I did it twice to make sure. I had shims behind the slave before but they didnt come close to 1/4" I dont mind takeing the trans back out a little to install a shim. I've done it in about 2hrs before, just slide it back enough to get my hand in there and install the shim. I would just like to know ahead of time so I could maybe install one now and get it close. I dont have the mcleod adjustable master but I do have a stock one made adjustable, so I am hopeing that will work. if not I will buy a mcleod.

Anybody that has istalled one already have to add shims?

Quick Reply: Just installed Mcleod bellhousing