Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch on Floor Under Hard Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch on Floor Under Hard Acceleration

I have spent the last two days searching and searching and searching and I can not seem to find a specific answer for my question.

Just in the last week or so, after taking the car to redline in one gear, any gear, the pedal will be on the floor after the shift. I can get it into the next gear but that's it. For example, redline it in 1st, grab 2nd, go to grab 3rd, and its on the floor. Under normal to moderate acceleration the clutch works flawlessly. NO OTHER ISSUES and I drive it 50+ miles a day with no issues at all until I get on the gas good and then suddenly it doesn't work. I can pull the pedal back up and within 2-4 seconds, I have pressure again and all is fine.

Fluid level is fine, no leaks anywhere. I have no other issues to speak of as said before. The fluid is very dark however is my only concern. Any recommendations or thoughts? Possibly just bleed it? What would suddenly just cause it to do this? I have plans to do a Z06 clutch install in the next few months, but money doesn't allow for it just yet and I'd like to keep it going long enough to do that at which time the master, slave, etc will all be replaced.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem exactly, it just started sunday night though. I checked the fluid like you did and it was fine so I have no idea where to go either.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:30 AM
Launching!

have you done the drill mod yet, if not theres your problem, plus if your fluid is dirty it needs to be change as well, if you search for drill mod read what it has to say, an it well tell you what your saying is happining to you.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=drill+mod
heres just one link you can try.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:04 AM
Teching In

start with said drill mod and fluid change is a must. were does the petal engage eg:off the floor or way up
Old 09-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Teching In

I have the same exact problem w/ the drill mod done. So if your planning on replacing it in a couple few months, dont bother messing with the old one, just drill mod the new one when you do that. I'll be replacing my slave when i install my clutch in a few weeks and im praying that clears it up.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok...here's the deal.

I've replaced my master and my slave, bled the entire thing, did the drill mod and I still had the exact problem you have. Keep in mind I have a stock clutch, pp, and flywheel. I have no air bubbles in the line and no leaks. I've also wrapped the lines to protect from heat. None of that worked.

The only way I've been able to cure this problem is that since my master is the Ram Adjustable (stock and modified), I just lengthen the rod about 2 turns and it goes away until I add more power. There's a wierd conincidence between adding 20ish hp and having this problem. Each time I do a significant mod, I have to lengthen the MC. Obviously this is only a "band aid" to some other problem, but it's been working.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM
10 Second Club

I had the same problem and so did a couple of my buddies. I just put a spec 3 in it and its all gone. Nuff said ive heard of all the mods and fixes. Unfortunatlly the only mod ive seen work is a complete upgrade. I didnt have to touch MC or slave. just clutch.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same problem, the SPEC clutch was worse than the stock one for this.

I finally fixed it with a Mcloed clutch and adjustable master. Was fine even after replacing the Mcloed clutch with another just like it.

Then I put my new Textralia in, great clutch, but now this problem is back, no amount of adjusting has gotten rid of this. I just pump the clutch a couple of times (just until I feel resistance, I don't disengage the clutch at all) when I have time to do it and it puts more pressure in the line so I have more pedal when I push it in and it never sticks to the floor. Really annoying until I got used to it, but will have to do until I have time to find out why this is happening. Probably just need to shim the clutch or maybe I had a seal in the clutch master go bad.

I have been doing this for so long, it's a habit that I do without thinking about it, even when I'm driving my truck.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the **** out of my car and mine started doing the same thing. This is just wild speculation, but what are the chances that this MAY have something to do with the clutch being at the end of life? My car is an 02 and what I'm thinking is that maybe the fact that the PP has self adjusters, could that coupled with a nearly worn out disk cause pedal height to change when running high RPM's and stomping the clutch? I flushed my master out with 1+ pint of synthetic fluid and that didnt help mine at all. Slow speed shifts are perfect, WFO and it doesnt come all the way up.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:30 AM
Launching!

well my pedal stays to the floor an doesnt come back up, an when ive tryed to bleed it i leaks out of the bellhousing, like the slave is bad. i have spec4 clutch, is that pp puting to much pressure on a stock slave or what. cause ive gone though three slaves already
Old 09-28-2006, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You would think gm would of found somthing on this by now.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:28 PM
Launching!

This has happened to me three times under hard acceleration. Each time I was racing and when I tried to go to 4th it stuck to the floor, then I couldn't get it in gear. Today I was barefooted so I was able to pull it back up and it seemed ok. I am totally stock clutch wise. Only have 50,000 miles. So WTF?
Old 09-28-2006, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

tsb #3027...I think gm knows about this. but I cant find anything else about it.