Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
View Poll Results: Hurst, Pro 5.0, or B&M?
Pro 5.0
59.22%
Hurst billet
26.21%
B&M Ripper
16.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

which shifter is better hurst,pro 5.0, or b&m

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hanzel69
5.0 and Lou's short stick combo, it's been said 100 times on here. Don't need to cut anything down, with the short stick attached, my shifter looks like a fat kids dong. -fat kids'll know what I mean.
What are you doing looking at fat kids' dong?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

I love my B&M Ripper I installed with a cobra bob gasket and it's been solid.

Last edited by Black Plague; 03-05-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Resident

I put a Pro 5.0 in my 96 SS and LOVED it.. I sold the car and bout my C5 which had a B&M Ripper in it, and i dont like it as much... Its tougher to put into gear than my Pro 5.0.. Either way they're worth the money, but id def. go with the Pro 5.0 if i were to choose.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Can you guys describe the "noise"...
Old 03-16-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed my new PRO 5.0
It shifts fine but it's really noisy!
You can tell what gear you are into just by the noise, as each gear has its particular "voice".

For those who installed a gasket between the tranny and the shifter: what thickness have you used? How much is allowed before the distance is too big?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

I always run the Hurst shifter with the Lou short stick and will continue to run this combo on any fbody I buy.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Had a Pro 5.0 with a stock stick before I even drove the car. Never had a problem with it at all. - Have no Idea what people are talkin about with the " noise " full exhaust covers that up just fine.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffJoeyD
Had a Pro 5.0 with a stock stick before I even drove the car. Never had a problem with it at all. - Have no Idea what people are talkin about with the " noise " full exhaust covers that up just fine.
I really love this kind of answers...
In case of headhache just get a kick in the ***** and the headhache will disappear.

Thank you for posting
Old 03-17-2008, 07:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Pro 5.0 is a good shifter no doubt, but for daily driving it's very unique. The default installation has you cutting the rubber boot. That's already an issue that causes noise in itself. The next problem is the shifter itself tends to transmit and vibrate itself in a way that rattles. It's easily drowned out by exhaust though, but since I built a true dual setup that is louder than stock, but still quiet at cruise just a bit more on the bass side, I knew when I tried a car with one, the pro 5.0 would drive me crazy. Heck even my Hurst comp will show the same rattle but only at WOT. I know the rattle changes between 2nd and 3rd only, every other gear doesn't seem to have it which puts the hurst aftermarket short sticks right up there for me.

My issue with B&M is that their newer shifters don't have removable sticks so you don't have an option like the pro 5.0 or what hurst gives you.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SladeX
The Pro 5.0 is a good shifter no doubt, but for daily driving it's very unique. The default installation has you cutting the rubber boot..
I cut the boot too, but honestly I don't know why it's necessary. The boot is elastic enough to cover the shifter.
Do you think dirt would go in the shifter mechanism?
The stock Hurst has no boot and is placed under the big rubber boot... theoretically it should get dirt
Old 03-17-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tici
In case of headhache just get a kick in the ***** and the headhache will disappear.

Thank you for posting
if your exhaust is not loud enough then you always have the option to just turn the radio up. a good system is the instand cure for any rattle, clunk, clank or other wise unwanted noise.lol

but seriously i never noticed more noise with my pro 5.0. i guess my tranny was noisey to start with and didnt notice any more, i ran it for some time without the boot cut, didnt cut it till i changed the engine last year, still didnt notice any differance with it cut, and there wasnt any dirt in it if you want to go that route, but it did take on a little moisture. the grease that is around the top looked milky, but nothin got in the tranny, and didnt effect the working of the shifter. i love the shifter myself. im sure there is someone in your area that has one of each, just ask them if you can try the shifter for yourself and then you will know
Old 03-17-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
im sure there is someone in your area that has one of each, just ask them if you can try the shifter for yourself and then you will know
Haha! not really. US cars are rare over here and usually people don't mess with them as much in the US.
What I've done with my car is highly illegal over here, for you it would be slightly modded (I'm talking about the Vortech...)

Tonight I'll install a rubber gasket between the tranny and the shifter. I'll post the result tomorrow.

To my tranny: this is a 98 car that was A4 in origin and is now M6.
No idea who owned the tranny before and if it has been abused.
I rebuilt it with the usual performance parts. It's possible than newer trannies sound different. This is a 99 Borg Warner.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Pro 5.0 here, no issues for me. The 4 inch mufflex, and the whine from the S60 rear probably cover most of the noise from the shifter. It does a good job in the gear rowing department.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tici

Thank you for posting
lol : I wasnt saying that was what you should do, I am saying that I have never had the car without the pro 5.0 and didnt notice it be noisey, but I have a 6.0 cammed / headers / loudmouth 1 exhaust car with lightweight carpet. So maybe Im not the best person to ask about the level of noise it makes.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BuffJoeyD
lol : I wasnt saying that was what you should do, I am saying that I have never had the car without the pro 5.0 and didnt notice it be noisey, but I have a 6.0 cammed / headers / loudmouth 1 exhaust car with lightweight carpet. So maybe Im not the best person to ask about the level of noise it makes.
Haha! No problems
The rubber gasket hepled a little but it's not completely rattle-free.
Mine a daily drive and I really don't like rattle / grind / bump / clickclick noises.
If it was a race car... ok

Or maybe I'm getting old!
Old 04-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Teching In

besides me ripping my B&M shifter out of the tranny. I like the B&M.
I have yet to test the 5.0 shifter, but have heard good reviews
Old 04-01-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had both the pro5.0 and hurst billet plus. They're basically the same. The hurst has a dust boot to keep dirt out of the mechanisim which is nice.
If I had it to do over again I'd get the McLeod shifter, they make one for 4th gen T56's now and it uses a bellville washer which doesn't wear out instead of a spring.
Whatever shifter you get, but the shifter gasket for like 12 buck off a guy on ebay who sells them. It quiets them down tremendously! No where near the rattle.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

i like the feel of the 5.0 Shifts are very nice. cant hit the 2-3 shift ever under WOT, but i dont think its a shifter problem. Thinking its more a clutch problem since i lose the pedal. Had the factory hurst and it had a pretty nice feel to it too.

both are good either way. have not tried the B&M
Old 04-01-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

My PRO 5.0 doesn't go back in the middle from the 1-2 pattern.
Is that normal?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had all three and I swear by the B&M ripper shifter, I love that I can SLAM it thru the gears and I LOVE the feel and how solid it goes into the shift gates. Not as smooth as the factory shifter but I'm okay with that.

Yes it's a bit noisy, but hey, so was the 5.0 and the Hurst(not as loud though). The extra noise doesn't bother me, it's not loud IMHO.