Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Good Dyno shops/ tuners in south MI?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good Dyno shops/ tuners in south MI?

Hey guys just got done with my time in the Marines and im back in Saline, MI.
im looking for a good tuner or a Dyno i can rent. thanks for the help

Tom
Old 12-31-2009, 12:15 AM
9 Second Club

wow nothing yet
Old 12-31-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

There is a couple shops in our area like vector and livernois but I personally wouldn't take my car there. There is a guy by the name of "Dr. Phil" that has a very good rep out in macomb for tuning and I've also heard good things about Baker engineering. I also think you could get it tuned by any of the local engine builders like Billy Briggs. Anyways good luck and IMHO stay away from vector.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fbodyman1026
There is a couple shops in our area like vector and livernois but I personally wouldn't take my car there. There is a guy by the name of "Dr. Phil" that has a very good rep out in macomb for tuning and I've also heard good things about Baker engineering. I also think you could get it tuned by any of the local engine builders like Billy Briggs. Anyways good luck and IMHO stay away from vector.
Odd, can I ask why? my 2000 SS went through 5 different shops before i bought it, and two after i bought it until Livernois tuned it. The car had horrible drivability problems, and no matter who touched it it always ran poorly, until Livernois tuned it. I couldn't have been happier with them and the results I had.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you can get more for your money and I have heard through the grapevine their tunes usually end up being all about WOT and no time spent on part throttle. I'm sure many people have had good experiences with them I just put in my 2cents.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Launching!

the last thing I am skimping on moneywise is my tune... I tried that the first time and went to someone that people said was the best tuner around. I almost didn't believe it because he was so cheap... well I got what I paid for.

I can tell you they spent alot of time with drivability. Hearing something through the grapevine isn't exactly direct experience, so why even bring them up just to say you wouldn't use them?

I know people are titled to opinions, but saying you wouldn't use a shop that you haven't ever dealt with? Have you looked at their site? they do cars from all over the country I just looked and it seems like in the past month they have had cars from 10+ different states for some serious builds.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldnt deal with livernois or vector, had bad experiences with both of them. Both because of a poor tune and horrible customer service. Just because a shop is doing some serious builds for other high dollar customers, doesnt mean theyre going to spend the time to do a quality tune.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

By the way, jakes automotive allows dyno rental for your own tuning. I need to get some time in there myself.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer
the last thing I am skimping on moneywise is my tune... I tried that the first time and went to someone that people said was the best tuner around. I almost didn't believe it because he was so cheap... well I got what I paid for.

I can tell you they spent alot of time with drivability. Hearing something through the grapevine isn't exactly direct experience, so why even bring them up just to say you wouldn't use them?

I know people are titled to opinions, but saying you wouldn't use a shop that you haven't ever dealt with? Have you looked at their site? they do cars from all over the country I just looked and it seems like in the past month they have had cars from 10+ different states for some serious builds.
Well it looks like you have experienced exactly what I was trying to say. Just because someone else had a good/bad experience at one place/person doesn't mean you will get the same result. Many large shops have multiple tuners these days also.

And your telling me that if one of your friends went to a shop and dropped $500 and they spent little time tuning and sent him home with a **** tune you would go and try them out for yourself "since you haven't dealt with them directly".
Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Joe at Stenod a call, he will take care of you.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Many large shops have multiple tuners these days also.
Livernois has one tuner...and he happens to be one of the best tuners (and drag racers) in the business.

And your telling me that if one of your friends went to a shop and dropped $500 and they spent little time tuning and sent him home with a **** tune you would go and try them out for yourself "since you haven't dealt with them directly".
Who tuned your car at Livernois? Here's their tuner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNxHvMMD5VY

That's experience. You guys are talking about bolt on cars and mild modifications to a LSx engine / vehicle. That's
child's play to him.

Last edited by unit213; 01-08-2010 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Banned

Good choices, Dyno Tech is good too, but are in Ft. Wayne
Old 01-09-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
Who tuned your car at Livernois?
It wasn't my car but a friends who use to have a built cobra. And who ever referred to the tunes as of being only "bolt on's". Maybe my car only has bolt on's but it wasn't my car I was speaking about. The cobra was extensively modded. And the experience I was talking of vector was a huge cam 402 ls1 that after I think of 1g worth of tunes/retunes he had enough. IMO the best route is to just take the time and try to learn the most about tuning you can. So one day to can either tackle the tune or be able to at least understand what the tuner is doing for your specific application. Hopefully in 1 1/2 more short years I'll graduate with my ME degree and be able to afford to go through this whole process myself.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:49 PM
Launching!

It wasn't my car but a friends who use to have a built cobra. And who ever referred to the tunes as of being only "bolt on's". Maybe my car only has bolt on's but it wasn't my car I was speaking about. The cobra was extensively modded. And the experience I was talking of vector was a huge cam 402 ls1 that after I think of 1g worth of tunes/retunes he had enough. IMO the best route is to just take the time and try to learn the most about tuning you can. So one day to can either tackle the tune or be able to at least understand what the tuner is doing for your specific application. Hopefully in 1 1/2 more short years I'll graduate with my ME degree and be able to afford to go through this whole process myself.
I think unit's reason for asking was that livernois, from what i have found, used to have two tuners. Dan Millen (who is an owner), and over the course of some years they always had a secondary tuner (i think 2 or 3 different people over this time period). Now I know for the last 3 years or so They only have had Dan tuning because of admitted problems with the other tuners that worked for them...
Old 01-09-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer
I think unit's reason for asking was that livernois, from what i have found, used to have two tuners. Dan Millen (who is an owner), and over the course of some years they always had a secondary tuner (i think 2 or 3 different people over this time period). Now I know for the last 3 years or so They only have had Dan tuning because of admitted problems with the other tuners that worked for them...
Yeah I was a little surprised when he said that, I didn't think that he was their tuner and driver. I wasn't to about to question him on something I wasn't sure about though. I can't remember who the tune was done by but I don't believe it was him.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Yeah I was a little surprised when he said that, I didn't think that he was their tuner and driver. I wasn't to about to question him on something I wasn't sure about though. I can't remember who the tune was done by but I don't believe it was him.
this would make a big difference. As I put I was once in the same boat, hearing iffy things about livernois. but when I did real research I found out that it always seemed to be the cars that the other tuners tuned, and not the ones that Dan tuned. When I took my 2000 there Dan was (and still is) the only tuner because of things like this.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

good info guys my buddy turns out he knows someone that works there so im going to hook with him and see what they have to say

i also here good things about Stenod so there is alot i have to look in too

thanks unit213 for the vid
Old 01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

"Dr." Phil is who I go to. He knows his stuff and spends a LONG time making your car perfect, no matter how insignificant your set up may be (for instance me with boltons lol). Plus he is very reasonably priced compared to shops.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engineered Victories (EVI) with two locations Davison and Swartz Creek (close to Flint). Stan does excellent work and pays attention to the complete tune. EVI has also teamed up with a local dealership and is building supercharged 2010 camaros for them.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:19 AM
9 Second Club

thanks bro anyone know any DIY tuners around here LOL

Quick Reply: Good Dyno shops/ tuners in south MI?