Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Great Lakes dragway doesn't allow t tops anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 05:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Great Lakes dragway doesn't allow t tops anymore?

Great Lakes dragway doesn't allow t tops anymore and they make you take them off to make a pass? Seems a little dangerous to me with the wind. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 07-12-2017, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

Wow first I've heard of that. Would be interested in hearing the reasoning behind that.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Reasoning is for the IN CASE scenario where some have popped/came off before. They are trying to eliminate that chance due to the glass etc
Old 07-13-2017, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea jimmy that's what I was told. Someone's t top flew off and glass shattered. I understand but at the same time it seems like a safety concern having them off. A buddy of mine couldn't race last year Bc his window motor broke at the track and was literally all the way up but 2" and they wouldn't let him make a pass Bc they said it was a safety issue. And that was your basic heads cam car mid 10 second car. The only alternative I've found is the hard top conversion but idk if I want to chop up the car that bad. I do drive it on the street occasionally and no heat/ac sucks with no t tops
Old 07-13-2017, 08:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I recall the tech guy saying no ttops on the fbody to someone at the grove earlier this year, and there was one guy racing without his on because of that. But I was never specifically told that, and I ran my car with them on, the same day. I hope they don't get strict on this as I'd rather race with mine on. I wonder if this will effect my 1/4 et as my car runs pretty consistent around 10.80 124mph
Old 07-13-2017, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I've seen videos of them flying off. And I do mean FLYING!!! One must have been 50 ft in the air. Aside from track clean up with all of the broken glass, can you imagine that falling on someone. I think they could verify that they are latched and locked instead, but I dunno why the fly off in the first place. Not locked or failure of some kind.

I've been fairly far past 100mph with my tops off, the wind noise is fng looouuud!
Old 07-13-2017, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 110 Likes on 71 Posts

That sounds a little ridiculous, these fbodys have been racing at the grove since 93...how is this ALL OF A SUDDEN a concern? they must have had a few incidents recently that pissed them off. I've seen many other crazy things allowed at this track like guys with no helmets, no cages in convertibles that are way faster than 13.99 etc. I don't see how they can't just confirm the T-tops are locked down, that's the only way to really lose one at the track. If this is the case, they are going to have alot of pissed off fbody owners..especially at any KOTS event. Guess it's just another reason to go to Byron where their tech inspection is next to nothing.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

the bracket that holds them in needs to be checked in ( TECH ) that is the reason some can blow off.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NHRAFORMULA00
the bracket that holds them in needs to be checked in ( TECH ) that is the reason some can blow off.
You mean that black trim piece between each ttop?
Old 07-13-2017, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

great lakes is 45min drive. byron significantly more. would be good to get an official answer from the track
Old 07-13-2017, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by merim123
great lakes is 45min drive. byron significantly more. would be good to get an official answer from the track
Well not much of a concern at the moment lol
Old 07-13-2017, 03:42 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Originally Posted by BFK86
You mean that black trim piece between each ttop?
When you pull the lever shut to latch them in place, there is a rod that slides into brackets at each end of the t-top (outer side, where it meets the window.) The brackets (they are behind the interior trim pieces, the rear one is easily accessible by removing the two trim screws, forward one is inside the a-pillar trim) for these rods can get knocked/pushed out of adjustment (I don't remember if the forward one is adjustable, but the rear one is for sure), and/or the adjuster screws just come loose and push back over time. At that point, you might *think* that you have them securely latched but they are actually just barely hanging on. This is how they can blow off even if the latch is closed and locked.

But, as you said above, the more reasonable thing would be for tech inspection to just check them. Give them a firm push/pull/tug on the outer edge with the door/window open to make sure they are securely in place. Making folks remove them to race is just silly IMO.

This isn't a new problem (t-tops flying off), but I guess as these cars get older and fall further into various states of disrepair and/or general deterioration/wear, issues like this become more common. Again, that's the point of tech inspection though, or at least it should be. If the top is latched and securely in place with a simple hand tug check during tech, then the problem could be averted.
Old 07-13-2017, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming it depends on who techs. Last time there I threw a different rim set up on and the old guy failed me at tech Bc I didn't have metal valve stems. With some bitching and meaning they allowed me later on. I understand the safety part of rules but they have to draw the line somewhere. 1 out of 10000 t tops flying off seems a lot safer than every t top car having to remove them to race
Old 07-13-2017, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The tech should check the car. If you have a street tire on, they never really check anything in all the years I've been there. also what's next...every corvette with a removable top will need to take it off too? Also...every convertible, might as well run top down...
Old 07-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Teching In

So, I have to race with my tops off to keep them from flying away.

But I have to race with my windows up to keep my hands inside the vehicle in case of a roll-over....

This is excellent logic!
Old 07-18-2017, 10:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! I wonder if they now have test & tune for boats.Lol
Old 07-19-2017, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The name of the track certainly seems appropriate.

Quick Reply: Great Lakes dragway doesn't allow t tops anymore?