Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Any good sales people need work? we are looking

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any good sales people need work? we are looking

The recruiter at my company said we are looking for people to start a new class of agents with here shortly.

I am a life insurance broker. We are in Wheeling, IL. Looking for folks who have an interest in selling life insurance as an inside sales job. Leads are all "warm", they are all responses from our marketing efforts, there is never any cold calling, etc.

No dress code, I wear flip flops and shorts every day.

There is a base salary and you work towards building up your business to the point of being on commission, but that base is always there in case you have a rough period. Base is like 30K. Takes 5-6 months to get on commission typically.

Already being licensed and experienced is NOT a requirement, but can be a plus of course. Having no sales experience doesn't discount you from the job even, although getting in here with no experience when not on a personal referral from a current agent is tough. Alot of what they look for is the right attitude and ability to perform well in this particular line of work and business model.

If you are good, you can make good money, enjoy what you do, and the environment and people here are unmatched, just an amazing group of people that work here.

The average income across the board is $50k for the agents, worst performers probably mid 30's and top performers like myself expect to see 70-75K this year without much trouble.

If anyone is interested you can PM me on here and I'll also attempt to check the thread once or twice a day.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I definatly need a new job and have enough experience in sales (At least in my mind). However selling life insurance? They are always looking for people.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Motorboater

Not sure what you are saying?

Yes we are usually looking twice per year. Naturally we have a few people per year that leave for a variety of reasons.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ghost doesnt pay for that car with wishes to the tooth fairy, my friend's gf sells car insurance. You can make some good money, if I werent so far away Id check it out. But then again I also already have a job.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:41 PM
Motorboater

I think Madice might be confused about the nature of our business.

I don't work for Primerica or some other barely leagal pyramid scheme and sell one policy a year if I'm lucky, I place around 1500 policies each year

I am 26 and like I said, will gross 70-75K this year with my feet up on my desk barefoot, kind of hard to beat that I think
Old 08-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to sell drugs. Does that qualify as sales experiance? It was crack if you want specifics.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drug dealers make good sales guys...They know how to hustle.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:13 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Sounds interesting.

I've thought about a career change from time to time, but I'm not sure selling life insurance is right for me. I've never worked in the sales field before.

My background is in distribution operations – pharma industry. I am an Operations Department Lead; I am in charge of a very high volume finished goods receiving department, and the accompanying dock and data entry staff, within a massive distribution center. Besides managing the day-to-day activities of my department, I also have to be in constant communication with manufacturing sites, buyers/planners, marketing, and QA departments nationwide planning out product moves, new departmental operating procedures, new product launches, etc. I also have strong knowledge of SAP electronic business systems. In other words, my experience has nothing to do with sales at all. LOL!

I’ve been with the company for over 7 years. The job requires a broad range of responsibilities, it’s extremely high stress most of the time, requires LOTS of extra hours on little or no notice, and my commute is pretty far. Even though the job has a lot of positives, sometimes the stress just really gets to me.

Would it be reasonable to expect at least $45K by the second year, assuming you’re decent at it? I'd hate to make less than I am now. Also, what are the education/training requirements?

Frankly I don’t think I’m ready to change jobs at this point, but it’s nice to get an idea of what else is out there for future reference. Because you just never know. Maybe the next time you guys are looking, I might be seriously considering a change.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:41 PM
Motorboater

hey whats up Ryan.

well education requirements just to be legal to sell is only to pass your IL life and health exams. The company will pay for your studying/test materials and also the testing and license fees. I actually got hired, and during the two week training period before I was on the phone I studied and passed my exams..wasn't easy but I did it.

Beyond that you have to have a seriously good learning curve to excel at this job. There is a shitload of information to absorb and retain if you want to be a good agent, and how quickly you can learn it and be able to apply it will effect how well you do, and the learning never stops, there are constant changes in this industry with underwriting, products, laws, etc, etc.

45k if you are any good is a breaze. We've got some people here who you'd never think they could make that kind of money doing anything in life that are making that much lol. I've already grossed 45K in 2006, but like I mentioned I am one of the very top earners here. either way 45K in your first year is certainly possible, just gotta earn your way onto comission as quick as possible to help that along.

Ryan next time I see you we'll chat in person some more. I can put you through the paces some of what its like to do this and we can determine if you think you'd be good at it
Old 08-18-2006, 09:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
Ryan next time I see you we'll chat in person some more. I can put you through the paces some of what its like to do this and we can determine if you think you'd be good at it
Sean, that sounds good.

I don't think the learning curve or info retention would be too difficult for me, in my current position I already have to retain a wide scope of information; both on the ever changing business development side and the electronic transaction/SAP operation side.

Either way, keep in mind that I'm not really ready to change careers at this particular time, but I'd like to get some ideas about what's out there for future referance.

Nice to know that an uneducated bastard like myself has some options.
Old 08-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
I think Madice might be confused about the nature of our business.

I don't work for Primerica or some other barely leagal pyramid scheme and sell one policy a year if I'm lucky, I place around 1500 policies each year

I am 26 and like I said, will gross 70-75K this year with my feet up on my desk barefoot, kind of hard to beat that I think
That is basically how I took it. I see countless jobs that offer great pay selling insurance; just sounds to good to be true. Like I mentioned I definatly want to get a new career, so if you can PM me some specifics about the job I might be more intrested.

I am/was comparing this to car sales. There is a ton of money to be made at dealerships, but you have to work 60hr weeks and basically BS people (Not something I like to do). So let me know, thanks.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Motorboater

You can PM me if you want, I'm not the company recruiter, I'm just doing him a favor

Its a straight forward inside sales job. I am no different from your state farm agent, I'm and insurance agent. However, I don't work with just one company, I can and do sell many. It gives me the ability to get people the very best rate given the specifics of their qualifications in respect to underwriting in this industry.

My company is one of the largest life insurance brokers in the US, we place over 12,000 policies each year, with the current number of agents being 35 or so.

NOTHING is too good to be true. You have to be good, and work hard to succeed here, just like any sales job. I work a clean 45 hrs a week on a 5 day week, its nothing crazy like car sales.

Thanks to a few that have hit me up, you'll be speaking with our recruiter soon

Quick Reply: Any good sales people need work? we are looking