Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Iowa Fastest Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i feel kinda important since i started this thread.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by V8bamf
i feel kinda important since i started this thread.
lol...
Old 03-07-2008, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Dropped my car off at the painter today to get my hood and spoiler done. It will be done next week, I can't wait!! Still waiting on my rear wheels, it's been 3 months now
Old 03-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

been messing with exhaust junk all day. I need a beer!
Old 03-08-2008, 05:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weather is looking good for next week. I can't wait for the 50 degree days. Might even touch 60's next week.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

if anybody needs powdercoating there is a place in Boone that seems reasonable, i think I am goin to bring my wheels there to get them powdercoated black and keep my chrome lip. they told me 30 bucks a wheel for my 18s seems like a steal
Old 03-10-2008, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally put mine back together last weekend. Just couldnt wait put about 150 miles on it sat/sunday. But its back in the shop, trying to get a set of jet hot hooker supercomps for it. then id say im about done performance wise.

Wouldnt mind that group trip to CFR either way im going to hall my car there haha I always break somthing stupid.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:39 PM
9 Second Club

if anybody needs powdercoating there is a place in Boone that seems reasonable, i think I am goin to bring my wheels there to get them powdercoated black and keep my chrome lip. they told me 30 bucks a wheel for my 18s seems like a steal
Wow that is a hell of a deal. Be sure to post up some pictures when you get them done. If they turn out good I will probably get mine done as well. Keep me posted.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

got mine back together and started on the tuning. its a whole different beast now. Rails first, second and half way through third before it even thinks about catching traction. Moves out pretty damn quick
Old 03-10-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just got home from Chitown, my car has a whole new hustle to it....
Old 03-10-2008, 10:38 PM
9 Second Club

So on the way the home from work tonight I had a run in with a Cobalt SS. We were both getting on the interstate. It was a two lane on ramp with a curve. He was on the inside lane and when we got down towards merging on the interstate he hit it. I was in third going maybe 40. I hit it after him and he had a decent lead on me. I caught him by the top of fourth and didn't go by him that fast. I slowed down and let him catch back up and I kept it in fifth going about 80. He got about a half a car on me then I dropped it back to fourth and passed him but kind of slowly again.

What would it take for one of those to give me a decent race from a roll? I am sure it would have been much different from a stop or at least a slower roll. Either way it was a decent run and the first I have had in the SS. He had his g/f in the car as well, haha. Anyway, I figured I would pull harder on him than I did? It didn't have any kind of exhaust from what I could tell. Oh well, it was still fun.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't know what they do to those Cobalts, maybe a pulley & tune...Tis the season for kills though!!!

I was in Chicago on Sunday afternoon, minding my business in the middle lane on I think 335 in the NW Burbs...Pass a Honda Civic with a smallish fartcan, I actually commented to Scott about the lack of HUGE size.

Decent traffic at the time, not crazy...

Of course, after I get 2-3 cars in front, I received the "FLY BY"...

He slows down, does some gunning of the engine...Ah pretty loud blow off valve. At one point, I catch a glimpse of a front mount, kind of hidden by the front bumper....

He then goes from the lane on my right, to the lane on my left & slows beside me, I take a look at his girl in the passenger seat....Not bad!

I'm not even thinking of doing anything....

He puts down the passenger side window & tries to talk to me. Both of our lanes are pretty clear immediately in front of us. At some point, I hear, "wanna do a 60 punch?" I'm like sure...Pull it down out of OD, slow to around 55-60, give it about 1/2 throttle & let out, he takes the hit----I give it to him, about a 1/2 car in total & drop the hammer. I real him in & put 1 & half or a little more on him by 80 mph or so. (His turbo was LOUD!)

Once I let up & he gets back to my side he gives me the thumbs up & return the favor.

Gotta love the Burbs out there! I had a chance to run a pretty clean looking '86 Mustang with a healthy sound to it. I declined, it was COLD & the roads where we were could have eating a dump truck. He wanted some of the LS1 real bad!!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 11:06 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah that little ******* thing surprised me. I figured I would have taken him by more.

Sounds like you had some fun in Chitown. I am hoping to head out there in the next month or so. My cam should be installed by then I hope. Might have to limp the car out there though, haha.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
So on the way the home from work tonight I had a run in with a Cobalt SS. We were both getting on the interstate. It was a two lane on ramp with a curve. He was on the inside lane and when we got down towards merging on the interstate he hit it. I was in third going maybe 40. I hit it after him and he had a decent lead on me. I caught him by the top of fourth and didn't go by him that fast. I slowed down and let him catch back up and I kept it in fifth going about 80. He got about a half a car on me then I dropped it back to fourth and passed him but kind of slowly again.

What would it take for one of those to give me a decent race from a roll? I am sure it would have been much different from a stop or at least a slower roll. Either way it was a decent run and the first I have had in the SS. He had his g/f in the car as well, haha. Anyway, I figured I would pull harder on him than I did? It didn't have any kind of exhaust from what I could tell. Oh well, it was still fun.

I believe they have different stages of those. Have to remember a little pulley and tuning on those things and the fact they weigh almost nothing, they can get up and move. The newer 08-09 Cobalt SS's in fact are Turbocharged with a lot more power than the Cobalt Supercharged SS's.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 372 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Unstang
Just got home from Chitown, my car has a whole new hustle to it....
Cool
Old 03-11-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28
Yeah that little ******* thing surprised me. I figured I would have taken him by more.

Sounds like you had some fun in Chitown. I am hoping to head out there in the next month or so. My cam should be installed by then I hope. Might have to limp the car out there though, haha.
A person i knew has a colbolt SS, her ex boyfriend had a black trans am that had a few mods on it (lid,exhaust ect). We talking about racing one day and i asked her just how much hustle that little SS had. She said that over the 10 some races between her and her ex, the trans am won after 40 mph from a dig. She said that when she got going she was edging ahead untill top of second/third. She also said that 1st gear is real short, enough to make her just want to lead off in second. Wait till you get your cam andy, then they will drop like flies.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

im ready for this weather!!
Old 03-11-2008, 10:06 AM
9 Second Club

im ready for this weather!!
At least the two nice days we are going to get. Low 40's toward the end of the week and this weekend. The warming is coming though, haha.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Teching In

showing some love for iowa....

i'm up in Dubuque.... anyone ever go to Cordova (Illinois) or the track in Earlville (Iowa) ?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jay_dub87
showing some love for iowa....

i'm up in Dubuque.... anyone ever go to Cordova (Illinois) or the track in Earlville (Iowa) ?
Earlville? never heard of it, i have heard of eddieville..maybe one in the same? This weather is awesome, its time to wash the truck..its so dirty from this winter. I swear from the sand i have under/in the cab i could build me a new house with.

Quick Reply: Iowa Fastest Cars?