Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Another Hall's deal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Zach,

Notching the crossmember was assumed in my other post. The problem is that the motor is long enough that it's going to interfere with what's mounted to said crossmember, namely the steering rack. A notch in the crossmember is actually pretty damned easy to deal with, it's steering adjustments that get ugly (I'm hyper sensitive about steering/brakes as both are drastically more important than power to me, and keeping angles and such in check is VERY important to safety on a steet car). Also of note is that the front swaybar may be a problem too, I've not looked at their location on an F-Body. That's not a big deal though, lots of guys remove them anyway.

I'm also not sure what's involved with making Toyota A/C work, if that was wanted, though brackets could be fabricated to run a GM compressor with custom lines.

Scott,

PM replied. Oh, and do you still have a bottle heater?

SDB,

I agree. 2JZ is the hard way to get there for sure. If you want something a little "different" a 4.6L Cobra motor in a Fox Body would haul *** and isn't seen everyday (though there are several built) There are even off the shelf mounts to get you most of the way there. A whipplecharged LSx in an F-Body would be different too and a total street monster, plus no bottle to refill.
I like the whipple idea!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponyhntr
While I agree with you...

I didn't think you could put L92 heads on a 346 because of the bore???
You beat me to the punch..... AL from LPE says no way that **** will work He's heard of it being done but he just laughs and calls them" dumb asses... (like joe) His quote " not mine JPH Dont get all worked up and blew a headgasket
Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blackz6sp
I like the whipple idea!!!
you like heat sinking motors with that roots stuff..... If your going supercharged -PROCHARGER - is the only way hands down......
Old 08-07-2008, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
you like heat sinking motors with that roots stuff..... If your going supercharged -PROCHARGER - is the only way hands down......
Heat soak huh? A little juice will help that.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Heat soak huh? A little juice will help that.
You like doing things the hard way
Old 08-07-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
Roots and whipple have nothing to do with each other. A roots blower (like an Eaton pre TVR or Magnacharger) is an inefficient piece of ****.

Whipple/Kenne Bell/Autorotor/Lysholm blowers aren't technically positive displacement, they do compression in the blower (where as a roots does most of its compression in the manifold by "blowing" air into it, hence the basis of the term "blower"), and the methodology they use (much more area for the compression) means they come into full boost much quicker then a CSC. Full boost from 2000 RPM and adiabatic efficiencies near turbo levels.

Adiabatic Efficiency:

Roots: 40-50%
Turbo (properly sized): 70-80%
CSC (Procharger): 70-80%
Screwcharger (whipple, etc.): 70-80%

For those not versed, adiabatic efficiency has to do with how much of the work put forth into the device is put to use, and how much goes to heat.

A properly sized screwcharger will make power sooner than a centrifugal, doesn't have the exponential boost curve that a centrifugal does, and is approximately as efficient. It's also damn hard on drivetrain parts for that very reason (gobs of torque).

For a drag car, the efficiencies are really all that matter, and tuned properly, will run nearly the same, especially when you put a big stall on an auto with a CSC, as you can stall up to the boost range for it. On a street car, especially a stick, the screwcharger is a lot of fun, as your power is there, all the time, no lag. Nick said he wanted a stick, a whipple would be a lot more fun with that setup.

Last edited by digitalsolo; 08-07-2008 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Blake-epedia strikes again.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:06 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Talking Guess who's car?

Old 08-07-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

V6 + big turbo = lots of power

V8 + big turbo = more power

I still think it would be cool to see a 2JZ in an F-body even if I know its the hard way to make the power, and potentially more power could be made by going a different route.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahh EPP shows up, that's what I get for saying Procharger...

Drew, I thought you ICED down your intake, not Flavor-Iced down your intake....

EPP guys, you're supercharger nerds, any arguments with what I said? I realize you're Procharger biased...
Old 08-07-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Old 08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
11 Second Club

We all know it's Azar, not because it's a LSx RX7 but because it's a rainbow mess!!!!

Last edited by blackz6sp; 08-07-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 03:19 PM
8 Second Club

We all know it's Azar, not because it's a LSx RX7 but because it's a rainbow mess!!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

If he'd have used all green, it would have made more power...
Old 08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
8 Second Club

Ahh EPP shows up, that's what I get for saying Procharger...

Drew, I thought you ICED down your intake, not Flavor-Iced down your intake....

EPP guys, you're supercharger nerds, any arguments with what I said? I realize you're Procharger biased...
What's the point of all that (excessive) torque from a screw blower when it's *difficult* to hook one of these cars on the *street* N/A?

BTW: Centrifugal superchargers do make torque.

Disclaimer: I'm not biased towards any supercharger, I swear!
Old 08-07-2008, 03:23 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Dude....I was hungry, the flavor ices were too cold they were hurting my teeth, we needed some more HP....

it was a WIN-WIN-WIN situation....except I didn't get 400. hahaha.

Edit: Shocker,

You're no longer invited to my birthday party because you hurted my feelings.

Last edited by Azar; 08-07-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Roots and whipple have nothing to do with each other. A roots blower (like an Eaton pre TVR or Magnacharger) is an inefficient piece of ****.

Whipple/Kenne Bell/Autorotor/Lysholm blowers aren't technically positive displacement, they do compression in the blower (where as a roots does most of its compression in the manifold by "blowing" air into it, hence the basis of the term "blower"), and the methodology they use (much more area for the compression) means they come into full boost much quicker then a CSC. Full boost from 2000 RPM and adiabatic efficiencies near turbo levels.

Adiabatic Efficiency:

Roots: 40-50%
Turbo (properly sized): 70-80%
CSC (Procharger): 70-80%
Screwcharger (whipple, etc.): 70-80%

For those not versed, adiabatic efficiency has to do with how much of the work put forth into the device is put to use, and how much goes to heat.

A properly sized screwcharger will make power sooner than a centrifugal, doesn't have the exponential boost curve that a centrifugal does, and is approximately as efficient. It's also damn hard on drivetrain parts for that very reason (gobs of torque).

For a drag car, the efficiencies are really all that matter, and tuned properly, will run nearly the same, especially when you put a big stall on an auto with a CSC, as you can stall up to the boost range for it. On a street car, especially a stick, the screwcharger is a lot of fun, as your power is there, all the time, no lag. Nick said he wanted a stick, a whipple would be a lot more fun with that setup.
Try telling us cobra guys that are netting 500 to 550 hp that the roots is a piece of ****. It does a great job at sustaining 15 lbs (maximum safe) of boost. Now whipple screw type superchargers are better due to the difference of the design. The roots pressurizes the air as you said in the manifold. A screw type as with a whipple compresses the air through the middle of the case by the use of screws then discharging the air in the intake. Either way they are both considered positive displacement blowers as they deliver a fixed amount of air per revolution.

Wether you have a roots or a screw type supercharger you still have awesome low end torque. The biggest difference is you can run almost 2 to 3 lbs less on a whipple to achieve the same power rating of the eaton. Of course once you reach a certain limit (in the eaton's case 17 lbs) the whipple will be much more efficient.

Also with the mustangs ford designed the intercooler so well that 8 lbs vs 8 lbs on the whipple make almost no difference. The reason you gain a little is the whipple has less drag associated with it and it is much more efficient.

Also an error you have is that a centrifugal will continue to make boost at a liner rate whereas a positive diplacement blower loses it ability to make high boost as your spinning it past its max rpms (usually 18000 rpms) and are only going to make a lot of heat. A centrifugal, just as a turbo, is more efficent at higher rpm than the screw type but the centrifugal/turbo cant make boost under 3000 rpms like the positive displacement blowers can.

The torque curve on a positive displacement blower is awesome with an almost near horizontal max torque line from 2000 rpm to 7000 rpm. A centrifugal will have a linear torque graph with max torque coming in at a narrow range of rpm due to it building boost.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

What's the point of all that (excessive) torque from a screw blower when it's *difficult* to hook one of these cars on the *street* N/A?

BTW: Centrifugal superchargers do make torque.

Disclaimer: I'm not biased towards any supercharger, I swear!
The thing is if you can get it to hook its nice to have your torque there immediately without having to wait for it to build up. With the screw type blower you can put your foot on the gas and max torque is there. With the centrifugal type it wont reach max boost thus max torque until your at 4000 to 5000 rpms.

Basically he is saying that if your cruising at 2000 rpms and you punch it the positive displacement blower will have all its torque to the ground but the centrifugal will only have 1/4 of its max rated torue to the ground.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:33 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by BWH2003
The thing is if you can get it to hook its nice to have your torque there immediately without having to wait for it to build up. With the screw type blower you can put your foot on the gas and max torque is there. With the centrifugal type it wont reach max boost thus max torque until your at 4000 to 5000 rpms.
I can agree with your first 2 sentences, but I totally disagree with your last one.

Originally Posted by BWH2003
Basically he is saying that if your cruising at 2000 rpms and you punch it the positive displacement blower will have all its torque to the ground but the centrifugal will only have 1/4 of its max rated torue to the ground.
You're preaching to the choir, kid.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

I can agree with your first 2 sentences, but I totally disagree with your last one.
Well it doesnt reach max boost at 2000 rpms. It was an example and I am no means biased towards a whipple. Prochargers on the cobras are making upwards or 900 to 1000 hp. Amazing

You're preaching to the choir, kid.
Yeah I know but I also know that people dont understand anything until you put it in a very easy to understand scenario. Sorry

Quick Reply: Another Hall's deal!!!