Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Another Hall's deal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 08:15 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by red01camaroz28

I've seen Kyle's car for the 2nd and 3rd time this weekend and it looks nice and heard that you have done a lot of stuff to your car. Is your exhaust Borla?
Exhaust is hooker, wish I had borla. You heard I did alot of stuff huh? Well... Nate did most of it haha I wouldn't say it has alot done to it tho
Old 09-02-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nick,

I've got a spare set of truck manifolds here that you could probably use for a turbo setup if you'd like. Buy some mandrel bends and I can mock up the setup for you (just need someone to weld it, I can weld, but I'd recommend using someone that doesn't suck terribly at it, which pretty much means NOT me).

Planning a turbo on an FD means that you probably won't need alternator mounts (will need to be relocated), won't need the off-the-shelf radiator mounts (will have to be moved forward for turbo clearance) and should probably look at an electric water pump (the stock water pump is a little weak at idle RPM levels, the electric keeps optimal flow all the time). Cooling isn't as bad as you'd think on the FD chassis, but layout of the turbo/radiator/intercooler area will definitely take some planning and work.

Are you guys talking about Josh with the black skittle? That car makes good power, but from what I've seen is either very peaky or just doesn't put it down as well as it should; I know Josh and am sure he's honest about the power levels, but I'd expect more from the car than I've seen it do. Guess that's why I don't drive a Neon...
Old 09-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by krobinson123
What sensor are you talking about
you were talking about your speed density sensor sunday night. shoulda been more specific.

it just seems wierd that your tune could be that finicky. The only drastic difference I can feel in my tune is maybe 2-3 degrees of timing pulled on cold mornings. But I don't know what you're using to tune either.

Last edited by Th3Cobb; 09-02-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Are you guys talking about Josh with the black skittle? That car makes good power, but from what I've seen is either very peaky or just doesn't put it down as well as it should; I know Josh and am sure he's honest about the power levels, but I'd expect more from the car than I've seen it do. Guess that's why I don't drive a Neon...
yea, probably the right one all black with nearly blacked out tail lights. Course I dont know who remembers the old j-speed dumdumdumdumdum. was supposed to have 500 or 600 hp. but being FWD, the first three gears might as well have not been installed. One hell of a highway monster though.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Teching In

^ wtf?
Old 09-02-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Th3Cobb
anyone else know anything about that black srt-4? beast said it was about 400 hp, but he didnt seem to pull away from comptons gtp that hard.
His third gear is out of it, so how can you do any real comparisons? Also, it put down 400whp and 450wtq untuned!
Old 09-02-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

What have you seen it do? Third gear has been out of it since right after he got it back from chris! When he raced kenny(untuned) a while back, he got pulled down low, then pulled back up top. I woud be stoked pullin a heads cam ls2 c6 up top. Seems like it's running pretty good to me.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Lunatic5oh
Redline boy got walked by a mile then, or that skittle is slow as ****...
They are friends, prolly out just playin around! Since there is a 20mph difference in traps between the two cars, a mile would be a understatement.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beast, what kind of car are you looking at putting in the turbo LSx motor? A iron block stock crank slight bore 370 cube (truck block) with ported LQ9 truck heads and stock manifolds reversed makes a killer and low buck turbo setup good for lots of hp. OR get a set of longtubes and do a rear mount STS style kit. Single 76 would be fine for 700 crank hp on 91 octane. Have AL port the truck heads, intake, tb, get a forged 370 cube (probably about $2700 using stock crank which is good for 1000 hp)...cheap and fast!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JPH
800+, enough for what you need to do.
I won't be satisfied unless I have 100hp/cyl again
Old 09-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by The Beast
I like to make 150 per cyl hoping to make more like 175 per cyl for the next build.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SDB
Beast, what kind of car are you looking at putting in the turbo LSx motor? A iron block stock crank slight bore 370 cube (truck block) with ported LQ9 truck heads and stock manifolds reversed makes a killer and low buck turbo setup good for lots of hp. OR get a set of longtubes and do a rear mount STS style kit. Single 76 would be fine for 700 crank hp on 91 octane. Have AL port the truck heads, intake, tb, get a forged 370 cube (probably about $2700 using stock crank which is good for 1000 hp)...cheap and fast!
I'm going to put it into a 93-95 RX7. Should be a little over 3000lbs when all is said and done (Here's a good video of what they look like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBECC-h01gI ) I'll probably go front mount and as long as truck manifolds aren't very restrictive, and allow the turbo to spool quickly, I have no problem using them what so ever. I can get an Iron Block for less than $100, thought I had one for $50 but it wasn't in the best shape for a high hp motor. Would L92 heads and either the weiand street warrior or carb manifold be any better than LQ9 heads? I apologize for all the questions, guys . I'm just trying to learn as much as I can to make sure I do it right the 1st time, and also to make sure it's bad *** when all is said and done. Thanks for all the help and feel free to chime in.

Last edited by The Beast; 09-02-2008 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Killer Klover
I like to make 150 per cyl hoping to make more like 175 per cyl for the next build.
damn it, if some how i'd even hit 1000whp, that'd only put me at 125hp/cyl... at least the beast made 143.Xhp/cyl race gas... must be nice to have more than 1hp/pound as well

Last edited by The Beast; 09-02-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nick,

I've got a spare set of truck manifolds here that you could probably use for a turbo setup if you'd like. Buy some mandrel bends and I can mock up the setup for you (just need someone to weld it, I can weld, but I'd recommend using someone that doesn't suck terribly at it, which pretty much means NOT me).

Planning a turbo on an FD means that you probably won't need alternator mounts (will need to be relocated), won't need the off-the-shelf radiator mounts (will have to be moved forward for turbo clearance) and should probably look at an electric water pump (the stock water pump is a little weak at idle RPM levels, the electric keeps optimal flow all the time). Cooling isn't as bad as you'd think on the FD chassis, but layout of the turbo/radiator/intercooler area will definitely take some planning and work.
What heads will the truck mani's fit on? I hear there is a local biker boy on the forum that know's his way around a welder and welds for lap dances . I was planning on an electric water pump and low temp thermostat, but like you said, things up front are going to get interesting with the turbo, fmic, radiator, and maybe ac . Thank god your the best around when it comes to rx7 lsx's among other things

Last edited by The Beast; 09-02-2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Any of you guys know a good engine builder here in town that could troubleshoot possibly blown rings and rebuild for a decent price?
Old 09-02-2008, 12:08 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

That was RWHP I was talking about. So YES, you 100hp per cylinder will be achievable.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:09 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ryanisl33t
Any of you guys know a good engine builder here in town that could troubleshoot possibly blown rings and rebuild for a decent price?
Get it out of the car, then call me.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm going to put it into a 93-95 RX7 should be a little over 3000lbs when all is said and done (Here's a good video of what they look like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBECC-h01gI ) I'll probably go front mount and as long as truck manifolds aren't very restrictive, and allow the turbo to spool quickly, I have no problem using them what so ever. I can get an Iron Block for less than $100, thought I had one for $50 but it wasn't in the best shape for a high hp motor. Would L92 heads and either the weiand street warrior or carb manifold be any better than LQ9 heads? I apologize for all the questions, guys . I'm just trying to learn as much as I can to make sure I do it right the 1st time, and also to make sure it's bad *** when all is said and done. Thanks for all the help and feel free to chime in.
I am unsure if truck manifolds will fit in an FD, supposedly in an FC they go into the frame rail....that's just what I read on V8RX7 so it could be wrong...
Old 09-02-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
What have you seen it do? Third gear has been out of it since right after he got it back from chris! When he raced kenny(untuned) a while back, he got pulled down low, then pulled back up top. I woud be stoked pullin a heads cam ls2 c6 up top. Seems like it's running pretty good to me.
Well, 400 wheel HP and less weight, I'd expect it should run with Kenny. You can keep your ricer "well, he lost down low but was making ground up top" stuff though. Either you win or lose, simple enough concept. Also, the "untuned" stuff is utterly unnecessary. It's a crutch, you run what you brung, period. If it needs tuned, go get it tuned before you bring it out to race; I tend to doubt the tune is that far off anyway, I know a little about forced induction, and pushing that hard on an engine with no tuning whatsoever is going to break parts, period; I don't think Josh is stupid (quite the opposite actually), so I'm sure the software on the car is at least close to being in line with what it should.

Like I said, I consider Josh to be a good guy, and am not trying to down his car, so don't take it that way; whatever happend to his Monte BTW, that was my favorite G-Body in town, so very clean.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JPH
Get it out of the car, then call me.
Preferably someone with an engine hoist that could pull the engine for me

Quick Reply: Another Hall's deal!!!