Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Another Hall's deal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 04:56 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b_ver_plezer69
YOU NAILED THAT ON THE HEAD!!! **** cafe requirements..these tree hugging toyota prius driving hypocrites are what is really killing america....i am so fed up with polosie and clinton talking about this and how cars manufator's need to have a 34 avg mpg by 2025...let america decide..also on the case of saving energy why did polosie up grade her "FREE" jet from the govenment to a 727....60k(720,000 year) a month it cost the tax payers for her new plane in up keep and gas...and the only reason she needed that plane is because it goes coast to coast without stopping for gas.....GOD I AM SOO PISSED AT OUR GOVERNMENT I AM GONNA GO OUT TONIGHT BREAK INTO THE ZOO AND BASH SOME BABY SEALS!!!!!
people who are not in the auto business just will not understand...the trickle down economic effects the auto business has on all types of other manufacturing and right down to the cost of groceries...Everything we do day to day is a direct link to the automotive business. think about that. scott you are in my prayers i understand and feel what you are going through. because i am right there with ya
ANYTHING remotely related to the automotive field/industry is doomed! I feel it and see it a work everyday guys. If it wasn't for some of you on here I would not have a job, so thanks to all who support the local speed shops.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMMillwright
I'm a little disappointed that the Senate deal fell through. Sounds like the we might get some TARP money, though. I think that if it weren't for the credit/housing problems, GM would have been OK. The wage cuts and benefit cuts for the new hires would have come into play. Also, the VEBA goes off GM's books in 2010. Both of those things bring our compensation much closer to the foreign transplants. I am a little surprised the UAW was so adament about not even discussing a wage cut. I never heard how much of a cut the Republicans were demanding in exchange for their support. $2 an hour is one thing, $10 an hour is a totally different thing. The Republicans do have a valid objection to the "bailout" regarding the increased fuel economy requirements. CAFE is killing the domestic auto industry. We should let the market decide what level of economy they want, not the federal government.
CAFE' is putting undue stress on the companies, I agree. I'm all for the white collars to take a pay cut, and get rid of all the Rick Wagners that have put them where they are. Economy is bad yes we know but for how long has GM been trying to run itself into the ground by consistently losing market share to all the foreigns? A complete restructure is in order. I could say that I was expecting the bailout to go through. I was rasied in a union house, a GM Ford and Chrysler supplier home, The workers might need to be leveled out a bit, but maybe everyone else should be making more. How many bonuses were handed out to white collars the whole time telling the unions that they needed concesions. Hard to trust. If the Govt. would buy everyone in America a car that needs one then that would put people to work, bail out the people, the big three, and move some cars off some damn lots.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JPH
If you can't get laid in Vegas corwin, there is no more hope left for you.
LETS STAY ON TOPIC, AUTOMOTIVE OR LIKE CHIT CHAT AND RACING....
Old 12-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by terry02
CAFE' is putting undue stress on the companies, I agree. I'm all for the white collars to take a pay cut, and get rid of all the Rick Wagners that have put them where they are. Economy is bad yes we know but for how long has GM been trying to run itself into the ground by consistently losing market share to all the foreigns? A complete restructure is in order. I could say that I was expecting the bailout to go through. I was rasied in a union house, a GM Ford and Chrysler supplier home, The workers might need to be leveled out a bit, but maybe everyone else should be making more. How many bonuses were handed out to white collars the whole time telling the unions that they needed concesions. Hard to trust. If the Govt. would buy everyone in America a car that needs one then that would put people to work, bail out the people, the big three, and move some cars off some damn lots.
it is more than "moving cars off the lots"...i am die hard gm through and through...i am working at a place to make a house payment and try to pay my bills right now...do i love the product they produce? no!! the next time you pull up to the light and see someone driving a KIA, HYUNDAI, TOYOTA, HONDA, ect thats one more american car not sold off our lots. Thats where it all comes down too...
Old 12-12-2008, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JPH
ANYTHING remotely related to the automotive field/industry is doomed! I feel it and see it a work everyday guys. If it wasn't for some of you on here I would not have a job, so thanks to all who support the local speed shops.
thats my point JPH, the trickel down effects of not just the economy but the automotive business in general...the impact the auto business in realtionship to the spending public can be put into these simple terms.

this study was done by a Duke university student...

ANYONE involved in the auto business..weather from production all the way down to small repair shops makes up 42% of the spending public in the USA...think about that 42% almost 1/2 of the us are involved someway in the automotive field...the US cannot handle a 42% drop off of the Gross national product. so in laymans terms our economy is made of 42% automotive if that fails holy **** in a handbag, betty bar the doors cause we are all moving to canada...or MEXICO....cee senor'...i am already practicing...
Old 12-12-2008, 07:19 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Last run in video Chad. Oh and by the way, Laryy(HumppinSS) is taking weight out of his car finally.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my take on GM's current predicament.

For a LONG time, they were on top of their game, because whatever the big three produced, the people bought, because it was the best option they new. GM got lazy (so did Ford and Chrysler, but I don't care about them for this topic), and decided that people would just buy whatever they made, and their innovation and overall quality went to ****. Meanwhile, the imports thought outside the box, and didn't have a status quo to follow, and passed GM in quality/dollar. For a while, the public still bought GM, because they believed in them.

Eventually, the automotive press wised up, soon followed by the public. GM kept soldiering on, mostly ignoring the masses, assuming people would move back their way.

All the while the UAW got one hell of a grip on GM, and the perpetual push/pull left a massive cost for labor, with enough legacy cost that even changes in their current workforce can't negate these costs.

GM finally wises up, as the imports get near passing them, and starts to greatly increase it's quality and create cars that had real public appeal (admittedly, they're still honing in on that, but they're leaps and bounds closer than they were 10 years ago). Unfortunately, it takes a good bit of time for the public to come back to buying a GM car, to trust their quality and long term value again. With GMs huge costs and existing debt, they can't produce an equal car for the same price as Toyota without losing money on it, and the public is inclined to buy a Toyota if the GM and Toyota are the same price, so they can't sell a damned thing.

Now, given enough time, this new business model (nice cars with good designs, what a concept) will work, people will come around, but they need to survive long enough to do that. Between the UAW's current and legacy costs and GMs massive debt that was undertaken to modernize and improve their quality, they can't stay afloat long enough to get to that point. Add to that the media's perpetual doom and gloom, who would go buy a GM, if the warranty (why else would you buy a new car?) may be in jeopardy.

One hell of a situation we're in now. It's even worse if you're Chrysler, they're in just about the same boat, but they never bothered to improve quality or design.

And on that note...

Cold side pipes are back from powdercoating. They look dramatically better now.

JGS BOV is all pretty and installed now too, though I can't final it yet as my o-ring is hiding somewhere in my parts collection.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:52 AM
Teching In

LOOKS KILLER ....your opinion on the domestics is kinda spot on, but the Korera built cars are not helping the situation either. Its just a big **** sandwich with all domestics are gonna have to take a big bite of.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Blake Shoot me a phone call.

Btw The charge pipes look nice here is a idea for you . Lay a bead of weld around each end so the hose wont slip off under boost. Shouldnt be a problem for 8 psi but over that they tend to shoot off LOL
Old 12-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Hey b ver plezer69 ,
we still on for sunday?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Killer Klover
Blake Shoot me a phone call.

Btw The charge pipes look nice here is a idea for you . Lay a bead of weld around each end so the hose wont slip off under boost. Shouldnt be a problem for 8 psi but over that they tend to shoot off LOL
Rob,

I don't have your number (just got a new phone).

Send me a PM with your number and I'll give you a shout.

I was going to roll a bead into the pipes, but my layout is really tight (no more then 1/4" between each pipe joint) so there's really no way for them to move. If I have any trouble, I've got a little tool that can from a bead into the pipe, but it's a PITA. I am planning 13-14 psi in the long run, so it may prove to be an issue still.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Blake,
those pipes look really good...who coated them?

Switches,
Could you please get the name and number for the guy that did your car for me? Yours looked good and I would like to get mine done this winter....sometime
Old 12-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

it is more than "moving cars off the lots"...i am die hard gm through and through...i am working at a place to make a house payment and try to pay my bills right now...do i love the product they produce? no!! the next time you pull up to the light and see someone driving a KIA, HYUNDAI, TOYOTA, HONDA, ect thats one more american car not sold off our lots. Thats where it all comes down too...
I've never bought foreign, and will only do so used... I kinda like some mazdas and i really like saab version of the impreza it's an 05. \If anything it looked like a cool car for the winter, 30mpg and AWD I at least kicked it around Im in the air between that and a crown vic ex cop car LOL boy I never thought i'd look at one of those. My family is all for the big three. We usually just nod at the chryslers rather than drive them though I am most definatley going to buy one of the new "elcaminos" when that comes out if it ever does. Plesa just stay alfloat to get me one of those and I'll be happy, Im curious when I can start to be signed up for that pontiacs waiting list?

thats my point JPH, the trickel down effects of not just the economy but the automotive business in general...the impact the auto business in realtionship to the spending public can be put into these simple terms.

this study was done by a Duke university student...

ANYONE involved in the auto business..weather from production all the way down to small repair shops makes up 42% of the spending public in the USA...think about that 42% almost 1/2 of the us are involved someway in the automotive field...the US cannot handle a 42% drop off of the Gross national product. so in laymans terms our economy is made of 42% automotive if that fails holy **** in a handbag, betty bar the doors cause we are all moving to canada...or MEXICO....cee senor'...i am already practicing...
eh! vancouver is the western hemisphere equivilant to Amsterdamn!! I'll start practicing too.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000NHRAFormula
Blake,
those pipes look really good...who coated them?
ProStrip did the powder work.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Rob,

I don't have your number (just got a new phone).

Send me a PM with your number and I'll give you a shout.

I was going to roll a bead into the pipes, but my layout is really tight (no more then 1/4" between each pipe joint) so there's really no way for them to move. If I have any trouble, I've got a little tool that can from a bead into the pipe, but it's a PITA. I am planning 13-14 psi in the long run, so it may prove to be an issue still.
Those pipes look great! Don't bother trying to lay a bead of weld around them. They will look like crap and are not consistent when it comes to keeping it sealed. Getting a nice rolled bead in there is what you want. You shouldn't have any problems (especially only running 13-14 psi, but we all know you will want to turn it up!!!) if you stick to silicone couplers and t-bolt clamps, don't use crappy worm clamps!!
Old 12-13-2008, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

ProStrip did the powder work.
There powder coater does great work. We contracted a job out to him at work and I talked to him for a while since I just had bought a powder coating gun. Pretty smart guy when it comes to powder coating.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by halucinator
Those pipes look great! Don't bother trying to lay a bead of weld around them. They will look like crap and are not consistent when it comes to keeping it sealed. Getting a nice rolled bead in there is what you want. You shouldn't have any problems (especially only running 13-14 psi, but we all know you will want to turn it up!!!) if you stick to silicone couplers and t-bolt clamps, don't use crappy worm clamps!!
If you Tig Weld them you wont have a worry

But my Welding isnt the best LOL
Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you Tig Weld them you wont have a worry

But my Welding isnt the best LOL
Fix your picture show off.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:12 PM
Teching In

Fix your picture show off.
You can't see it ?

Here i fixed it i uploaded it to Photobucket

=)
Blake i do alright work but i could always be alot better.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

the next time you pull up to the light and see someone driving a KIA, HYUNDAI, TOYOTA, HONDA, ect thats one more american car not sold off our lots.
My bad

You can't see it ?

Here i fixed it i uploaded it to Photobucket

=)
Blake i do alright work but i could always be alot better.
Damn it all, who leaked pics of my turbo kit build....

Quick Reply: Another Hall's deal!!!