Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Another Hall's deal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've had more fuel trouble than any of us Scott. It's just your stroke of bad luck.

I just have two in tank Walbros in my setup, and they work great. Been proven time and time again to support more than 1,000 RWHP and I have less than $250 in everything.

The single pump you are talking about is pricey, but is a very good unit. Hopefully it works out for you and the bad luck with the fuel pumps end here.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tint - Mike Meyers # 260-418-9060

Scott's fuel system is something we are still looking at we aren't even sure what is the problem. We are currently having a supply issue and a fuel level sensor issue. Im starting to beleave we might have a bad connection or loose wire that might be causing our problem.

Boost-a-pump is a no go in my eyes its a ticking time bomb Scott needs to get a real fuel system finally and quit using stuff that just gets him by... Im sure with all the money put in to the car it makes it that much harder to do more but in the long that will be the best idea.. I would just hate to see the new combo loose fuel and start all over back were it was last year. I like the Lonnies kit we used on Kurt's car and I know first hand it will be plenty of fuel for that combo but it is more money...

Just wanna Say Thanks to Steve Tuned by Frost for his hard work and great work he did while here in Fort Wayne. Steve tuned 3 cars last Thursday and Friday did an amazing job hands down... The guys knows his stuff hands down. My car, Chace's car, and Scott's car all made huge gians from start to finish. We joked alot all week while he was here about how his mail order tunes were better than our old tunes. Steve made 10 more horse and 11 more foot pounds of torque on my car, but the biggest difference is in the driveabilty. No more 3k cold start idles, no more stalling at lights, no more hot starts issues. But my favorite fix was the fact that with my last tune I had multiple check engine lights and ABS and traction control lights that would just come on when ever it felt like it. That is all fixed Steve completely reflashed a new tune in and started from zero and boy I can tell...

Steve will be coming back in a few months the goal is no later than Late Aug. to tune a Turbo Trailblazer SS Im working on right now as well as tune Scott's car for Nitrous. I recommend any one who doesn't like how there car is running or doesn't feel its making its full power to set up a tune with him its worth it. Joe watched Steve work and agrees that he knows his stuff and would also now recommend him to anyone...

Oh FYI Kenny I need a new Grill....My last one got stollen last night off my back porch while I was home watching a movie... Basturds
Old 07-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
Tint - Mike Meyers # 260-418-9060

Scott's fuel system is something we are still looking at we aren't even sure what is the problem. We are currently having a supply issue and a fuel level sensor issue. Im starting to beleave we might have a bad connection or loose wire that might be causing our problem.

Boost-a-pump is a no go in my eyes its a ticking time bomb Scott needs to get a real fuel system finally and quit using stuff that just gets him by... Im sure with all the money put in to the car it makes it that much harder to do more but in the long that will be the best idea.. I would just hate to see the new combo loose fuel and start all over back were it was last year. I like the Lonnies kit we used on Kurt's car and I know first hand it will be plenty of fuel for that combo but it is more money...

Just wanna Say Thanks to Steve Tuned by Frost for his hard work and great work he did while here in Fort Wayne. Steve tuned 3 cars last Thursday and Friday did an amazing job hands down... The guys knows his stuff hands down. My car, Chace's car, and Scott's car all made huge gians from start to finish. We joked alot all week while he was here about how his mail order tunes were better than our old tunes. Steve made 10 more horse and 11 more foot pounds of torque on my car, but the biggest difference is in the driveabilty. No more 3k cold start idles, no more stalling at lights, no more hot starts issues. But my favorite fix was the fact that with my last tune I had multiple check engine lights and ABS and traction control lights that would just come on when ever it felt like it. That is all fixed Steve completely reflashed a new tune in and started from zero and boy I can tell...

Steve will be coming back in a few months the goal is no later than Late Aug. to tune a Turbo Trailblazer SS Im working on right now as well as tune Scott's car for Nitrous. I recommend any one who doesn't like how there car is running or doesn't feel its making its full power to set up a tune with him its worth it. Joe watched Steve work and agrees that he knows his stuff and would also now recommend him to anyone...

Oh FYI Kenny I need a new Grill....My last one got stollen last night off my back porch while I was home watching a movie... Basturds
I am very satisfied with my tune from Steve Frost. Not only was his tune phenomenial, he was also very professional and courteous as well. Unfortunately, It would not be an exxageration to say that his mail order would be better than the tune we had gotten last year. I didn't even enjoy driving my car after that previous tune. I never knew when my car may just up and die siting at a light My car drives and even feels like it should and then some. Thank you Steve Frost
Old 07-08-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Boost-a-pump is a no go in my eyes its a ticking time bomb Scott needs to get a real fuel system finally and quit using stuff that just gets him by.
This ^

I've never liked the boost-a-pump. Over-volting a pump that is at the edge already just isn't a good idea, from an electrical engineering standpoint. It works for lots of people, sure. That doesn't make it a good idea or the right way to do it. People always seem to skimp on fuel sytems. That's a dangerous gamble.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SDB
If you have a standalone fule tank and pump for the nitrous, and are using a low pressure fuel pump and appropriately jetted N20 and Fuel jets.....I would think a Single big intank pump and boost a pump would be fine.
I've been using the Kenne Bell Boostapump for 3 years now. It still works, but i hate it and i hate the way it comes on. right between 5" of vacuum and 5psi of boost, it can never make up its mind if it wants to boost the pump or not. When this happens, you can get a "hitching" sensation. That makes me want to strangle baby kittens. I've got some of the components for a return style fuel system, and thats the way i'll be running mine in the future. I'll use dual 044 pumps and not worry about anything.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
10 Second Club

Lonnnie's emialed Joe and said his Racetronix pump and harness would be adequate at my power level. He said I didn't need to go with braided lines until I got to 700 rwhp. The issues are:

NA: It goes lean on just one pump. Worked fine on one pump Thursday for the driveability stuff and some WOT pulls. Then, Friday after the dyno stuff, it went really lean @ WOT on just one pump. Sounds like the constant duty pump is going out. Not terribly unexpected, given my car's appetite for junky Walbros. I'm on # 3 and #4 in the tank now, IIRC.

Nitrous: Started with second in-tank pump turning on when nitrous armed. Rail pressure rose to 62 psi. Stand alone @ 56 psi, IIRC. Nitrous Outlet recommends 78/46 for 200 rwhp. After research, that's way rich. Like single digit AFR rich. The mods in the nitrous section guessed I'd end up with 78/39 and AFR @ 12.0:1. Didn't work out that way at all. After "seeing the light" [inside joke] with the wiring issues, we made a pull that started off good, but AFR oscillated, then fell off big-time as the rpm increased. Jetted the standalone down to my smallest fuel jet (37) and made a last pull right at closing time. Basically, no change in power or AFR.

NA, I'm lean on one pump. Spraying, I'm really fat. Way fatter than anyone can explain. And the fuel level sensor works intermittently and isn't accurate (by a lot) when it does.

What my plan is (still waiting to hear back from Lonnies): Racetronix with harness and jet the standalone back to 39. Other options to consider are running a Denso pump (TT Supra) or a Bosch 044 pump. Both flow more than a Racetronix and can be had for less than $200, I think. Frost isn't going to be back for 5 or 6 weeks, so the nitrous stuff will have to wait. Oh well. Good air doesn't show up 'til September anyway.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Walbros are not worth getting anymore in my opinion, as there are more of the Chinese knock offs than there are actaul Walbros, and we all (at least 4 of us regulars on this thread including myself) know how the Chinese ones work out. (I ended up going through at least 3 different ones in my Formula within a few thousand miles before I just ended up going with a Racetronix)

Racetronix 255 lph pumps are reliable, but just a little pricey for essentially what the Walbro is.

I have heard good things about the Denso pumps FWIW.

Also, I know you didn't want to, but you may want to re-consider about getting the steel braded fuel line. I thought I had talked with you before on this, but when I was running my second pump, I had all kinds of issues with the pump falling off from its rubber fuel line while in the tank. It took me upgrading to a steel braded fuel line before my "falling off" pump issues were resolved completely. I would reccomend getting the steel braded line just so its one less thing you may end up having to deal with "again" later with the fuel system. God knows you've already had enough issues in that department.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

Will he be open to tune other cars at that time as well? If I can get somebody to install a set of heads I will need a tune and would rather not go back up to MI.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey if anyone in the Ft Wayne or kendallville area wants to donate some time or knowledge to my 72 Nova LQ9 project that would be awsome!

The guy that was helping me is no longer healthy enough to help me. Before this project I had only put gas in cars, so I am super new to this. I need step by step instructions. This site has been extemely helpful, but it takes long hours of using the search button.
If anyone knows of any books or people interested in helping me that would be great.

I still need to do the fuel system, trans crossmember, plum the power steering box, finish up the wiring, and I am sure a bunch more.
I will keep working at it, and asking questions on here.
Thanks for any help,
Brandon
Old 07-10-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott,

Why are you running 56 psi on the stand alone??? Why not run a low pressure (carb levels, 7-10 psi) and a large fuel jet? Perhaps I'm out of the loop, but I've never heard of anyone running high pressure on a stand alone nitrous setup.

Brandon,

I'd be happy to help, but it'll be a while (couple months) before I have any time to help anyone.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Brandon,

I'd be happy to help, but it'll be a while (couple months) before I have any time to help anyone.
Thank you. I'll keep working on it and hit you up in couple months. Hopefully I can finish up by then, but I doubt it.
Thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Nitrous Outlet sends springs for both, high and low pressure. At the higher flow rates (bigger shots), they suggest low pressure. On a 200 they said either is fine. I just went high pressure because I had those jet spreads already.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JCattSS
Will he be open to tune other cars at that time as well? If I can get somebody to install a set of heads I will need a tune and would rather not go back up to MI.
Tune wouldn't be an issue Steve talked like he maybe would want a hand full of other cars to offset the cost.

Once Im done with the two current projects I would love to help you with the heads if you looking to have them installed. Let me know. I think you would really like the current project I have... Turbo TBSS
Old 07-12-2010, 09:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Scott,

Why are you running 56 psi on the stand alone??? Why not run a low pressure (carb levels, 7-10 psi) and a large fuel jet? Perhaps I'm out of the loop, but I've never heard of anyone running high pressure on a stand alone nitrous setup.

Brandon,

Blake,
Chris @ Nitrous Outlet recommended 8-10 psi on the stand alone with bigger fuel jets on my setup, just like you are saying.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:18 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone interested in going to ken hobrocks bachelor party? Switches and i are to trying to put together one.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Ryan and Blake, thanks for the input. Ryan's direct port. I'm on the plate. If I went DP, then I'd go low pressure, too.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Teching In

I hope you guys are wrong ab the walbros considering I just swapped my fuel system for them LOL. Time will tell...
Old 07-13-2010, 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

New owner sent me this, just thought I'd post it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI4NHJgNOP8
Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Juiced2000SS
New owner sent me this, just thought I'd post it.
405 @ 7000 RPM on a mustang dyno unlocked

I'd like to see it on a Dyno jet with the stall locked... With that combo it seems like the numbers should have been higher...

Miss seeing that car around town Chris you should have kept it...

Side note My car just made 407 / 372 last week at CJ race engines in Auburn on there dyno jet. Combo made 396 with stock maf and slp lid now Im running a Z06 Maf, Fast Toys lid, and a much better tune .. Im hoping to make it to muncie for some better track numbers with the new suspension and tune

Anyone wanna cruise to the Lingenfelter track rental ? Im thinking about going
Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BANDIT8
Anyone interested in going to ken hobrocks bachelor party? Switches and i are to trying to put together one.

Hell Yeah!

LMK when and where!

Quick Reply: Another Hall's deal!!!