Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Another Hall's deal!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to here that Scott, at least it made great power NA. Knocking out the rest of the tune tomorrow?
Old 07-02-2010, 11:22 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMMillwright
Car's tuned NA. Made 520/470. Big problems with the nitrous wiring. Mike McFarland and Nate did all the wiring and we were all pretty confident it was good-to-go. Nope. Lots of underhood thrashing and jumpers later, it worked. Problem #1 band-aided. Big numbers? Nope. Only picked up 140 on the jets that should have yielded 225 with an AFR around 12.0. Run started good, then the AFR just fell off the cliff down to 10.0 by the end. Bottle pressure was 950 and constant. Only thing left is the nitrous filter. We didn't have time to check it at the dyno because we made our last pull at 5 o'clock straight up.
What kind of dyno was used? was the converter locked on the pulls? I doubt the filter is the culprit...maybe a bad noid...can send them in to get rebuilt cheap. What kind of safety stuff is on the nitrous? ANything that could pulse the solenoids (make the nitorus solenoid pulse on and off)? One thing to do is do another dyno run with the nitrous line pulled off the plate and aimed up (vented to the atmosphere), and have the fuel line from the solenoid pointed into a clear bottle and monitor both under load on the dyno and see how they "squirt"...not easy, but you get a decent visual of stuff. Takes 3 people to do it right though. This way you can see if something is stopping the flow of nitrous at anytime during the run (maybe related to electronic safety stuff).

520 rwhp through a 9 inch and 4L60E on a dynojet or mustang dyno is pretty stout! You should be 10.4-10.6 at 128-130 on motor I bet.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:42 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SDB
What kind of dyno was used? was the converter locked on the pulls? I doubt the filter is the culprit...maybe a bad noid...can send them in to get rebuilt cheap. What kind of safety stuff is on the nitrous? ANything that could pulse the solenoids (make the nitorus solenoid pulse on and off)? One thing to do is do another dyno run with the nitrous line pulled off the plate and aimed up (vented to the atmosphere), and have the fuel line from the solenoid pointed into a clear bottle and monitor both under load on the dyno and see how they "squirt"...not easy, but you get a decent visual of stuff. Takes 3 people to do it right though. This way you can see if something is stopping the flow of nitrous at anytime during the run (maybe related to electronic safety stuff).

520 rwhp through a 9 inch and 4L60E on a dynojet or mustang dyno is pretty stout! You should be 10.4-10.6 at 128-130 on motor I bet.
-Dynojet 224
-triple disc verter was locked
-Tons of safety stuff is there but I went around it all when some initial wiring problems were found so that we could try and get it done. The other items can go back later.

It's not that we don't know how to troubleshoot, we just ran out of time.

It is indeed strong, and those numbers are SAE.

It was really nice to meet you this week Scott; hope to be back pretty soon. I enjoyed the company of everyone that I met here in Ft. Wayne. I will be glad to go home though; you guys don't let me sleep... at ALL.

Last edited by Frost; 07-03-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

Stout NA numbers for sure Scott.
Old 07-03-2010, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

A big thank you to Steve and Nate for all the work you did for me (and Chase and Dr. Bob). I know they spent hours and hours on just my car. Obviously, I'm disappointed that the nitrous stuff didn't work out. Bottom line was that stuff needed tested at least a week ago, but wasn't. Steve really knows what's going on. He knows the mechanical side of it, along with the tuning side.

Nate drove the car some last night while Steve double-checked some stuff. Now it seems I'm back to my fuel pump issues. I'm not sumping this tank and going external pump. No way. Car is already race-car loud. Don't want a noisy pump too. Going to look into a Bosch 044 pump for starters. Don't know how much power one will support, though. With the stand-alone, I'd probably only need one pump in the tank.

Only other issue that hasn't been corrected is the brakes. Pedal feel is inconsistent. More importantly, the brakes seem un-assisted at times. Steve says it's not vacuum-related. Nate thinks it's somehow related to the ABS module. I'm sure Nate will figure it out.

Headed to the lake. All car'd out. Hoped I was done spending big chuncks of money, but doesn't look like it now. Fuel system, more tuning and dyno time, and a dual-tune PCM (once Steve gets some more). This is fun, right?
Old 07-03-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was about to suggest fuel system... that whole "t'd" setup has never set well with me...

What about a dual Bosch 044 setup with a proper Y fitting? That will fit in the tank, cost a lot less than replacing the tank with a sumped setup, and can flow enough for 1000 HP or so. Drop some -8 hardline up to the front (or do you already have aftermarket lines?)

I'm sure Nate and the guys can get you sorted out though, just throwing out my .02. Oh, and GREAT numbers N/A. That's really stout through that setup.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

I have not been on here forever.....I see this thread is still going strong. I heard that SDB has givin up teenage girls and wants to be a preacher? Just kidding
Old 07-04-2010, 11:23 AM
11 Second Club

Only other issue that hasn't been corrected is the brakes. Pedal feel is inconsistent. More importantly, the brakes seem un-assisted at times. Steve says it's not vacuum-related. Nate thinks it's somehow related to the ABS module. I'm sure Nate will figure it out.

Delete it, don't need ABS in a race car anyway....problem solved.

My stuff is in a box in the attic should you need something. I think

Congrats on the NA numbers.

Last edited by SS1875; 07-05-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hope everyone had a fun (and safe) 4th of July!
Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Best (and reasonable) tint shop in Fort Wayne or surrounding areas?
Old 07-07-2010, 07:10 AM
9 Second Club

Tint Masters, they do good work there and its reasonable.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 AM
11 Second Club

Mike Meyers @ Kelley GMC behind the car wash... He does the best work hands down and is really well priced... He even will work out of my shop for special requests
Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
Mike Meyers @ Kelley GMC behind the car wash... He does the best work hands down and is really well priced... He even will work out of my shop for special requests
Nate, is this the same guy who used to work out of the saturn dealership?
Old 07-07-2010, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

ProTint did an awesome job on my car. I used a gift certificate, so I'm not sure what they charge.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

2nd on Mike Meyers. He recently tinted up my Formula and did an awesome job at a better rate than all the other competitors I looked at when I was in town a couple months ago.

Scott, I also believe those are good numbers N/A. Be patient with the car. Everyone I have ever known to change that amount of things on a car for performance (myself included) have all had "bugs" they had to work out before they ran correctly.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 PM
10 Second Club

I was just a little disappointed when the nitrous part didn't go as I had hoped. We'll get it all done and have Frost back to tune it. Other than the nitrous wiring, I need to get my fuel system reworked. The double pumper BS has to come out. We're waiting to hear back from Lonnies if a single Racetronix can comfortably support my NA power. I think my stock regulator wasn't allowing enough fuel to return to the tank and caused the super-rich pull on the bottle. Not thrilled about sumps, external pumps, braided lines and an external regulator (read $$$$$).
Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NASTYTRANSAM
Nate, do you have a number for him. Our new vehicle needs some tint. Plus I was thinking of doing the windshield on the G8.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Just go to (or call) the GM superstore and ask for him. (thats what I did)
Old 07-08-2010, 02:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was just a little disappointed when the nitrous part didn't go as I had hoped. We'll get it all done and have Frost back to tune it. Other than the nitrous wiring, I need to get my fuel system reworked. The double pumper BS has to come out. We're waiting to hear back from Lonnies if a single Racetronix can comfortably support my NA power. I think my stock regulator wasn't allowing enough fuel to return to the tank and caused the super-rich pull on the bottle. Not thrilled about sumps, external pumps, braided lines and an external regulator (read $$$$$).
Double pumpers and in-tank fuel systems work great if done right, but that doesn't involve Walbros and brass T fittings I feel your pain though Scott, I've got over $1,000 in my fuel system Totally worth it for the piece of mind IMO

Last edited by The Beast; 07-08-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:07 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

If you have a standalone fule tank and pump for the nitrous, and are using a low pressure fuel pump and appropriately jetted N20 and Fuel jets.....I would think a Single big intank pump and boost a pump would be fine.

Quick Reply: Another Hall's deal!!!