Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

anybody delt with Lund Motors in Waukee Iowa?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default anybody delt with Lund Motors in Waukee Iowa?

They have a dyno and also do tuning. I'm just wondering if anybody has delt with them and what your opinion is on their dyno tuning. My buddy just had his F250 tuned there and he doesn't seem to think he done the best job. I do know for a fact the truck has quite a bit of spark knock in the higher rpm. The truck is supercharged with a built 351. They say there is no spark knock but I think he has just lost his hearing. It's bad enough it can be heard over the loud exhaust. I didn't know if the truck is just hell to tune or if the problem is the tuner.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to work in Waukee, and I drove by the place just about daily. There where always hondas and a few mustangs sitting everywhere, but RARELY, IF ever, a f-body or Y-body. I have heard a few ok things from them from some of the mustang crews, and if you just want to get dyno numbers that would work fine. But tuning I'm not so sure about.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Mustangs are the only V8 cars I have ever seen there. I don't think I would take my car there. Not sure if they would know what to do with a car with power.....
Old 08-16-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3fourty6
Mustangs are the only V8 cars I have ever seen there. I don't think I would take my car there. Not sure if they would know what to do with a car with power.....
haha, I hear ya. I don't need my car tuned but I just didn't know if they even were very good at tuning fords either. Like I said my buddies F250 doesn't seem to be tuned right from what I can tell. He said it's fine but I know spark knock is a bad thing.
Old 08-18-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Isn't there a log that can be looked at that will confirm the knock? And yes, it is mosty a Mustang shop & they haven't been tuning cars/trucks for very long.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Unstang
Isn't there a log that can be looked at that will confirm the knock? And yes, it is mosty a Mustang shop & they haven't been tuning cars/trucks for very long.
the only log we got was the one that showed the boost pressure that followed the RPMs. Well we also got the dyno graph but nothing that showed fueling or timing knock.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mvvette97
the only log we got was the one that showed the boost pressure that followed the RPMs. Well we also got the dyno graph but nothing that showed fueling or timing knock.
Shops don't normally printing any timing/fuel logs, but they should have been able to show it to him, while they were making pulls. I know Chris tunes on the cars they have & customer cars, & he has had some training. I've had no experience with any of that type of work with them though.

How much did the tune cost?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

we were not there when he tuned it. He installed a high volumn fuel pump and regulator and done the tune for almost $1200. He was sayin that when tuning it he had to remove the chip and burn it just like ya have to do with the old LT1 cars. But I would think for 1200 bucks that it shouldn't have any spark knock. It's bad enough that I told my buddy that I would turn the distributor back some to pull some timing or he will end up with holes in the pistons.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mvvette97
we were not there when he tuned it. He installed a high volumn fuel pump and regulator and done the tune for almost $1200. He was sayin that when tuning it he had to remove the chip and burn it just like ya have to do with the old LT1 cars. But I would think for 1200 bucks that it shouldn't have any spark knock. It's bad enough that I told my buddy that I would turn the distributor back some to pull some timing or he will end up with holes in the pistons.
We had a 85 trans am with a semi healthy 355 in it we were running the holley comander 950 system (kinda like FAST) I had a streetable tune on it that was decent put not great, so we thought we would take it up there and have it "perfected" keep in mind this car is NA. When we recieved it back the fuel map was all over the board, He hadn't even checked base fuel pressure, or looked at the timing under the hood, which should be a must before tuning.

We have the dyno sheets from when he first put it on and it put down 360hp, when he finished with it it had 322hp....And the car had horible street manners, i had to fix it so we could drive it to IL. We asked about how he worked out the detonation...He said he did it by ear, he has no way to datalog that, which we still had detonation up top. Bottom line is for $500 it was a waste of time and money.

As far as Customer service is...He did a good job, He did his best make it right, not the tune but customer satisfaction. I would definetly go there to use his dyno. but not for a tune. Hopefully they'll improve and get the hang of it soon. This isnt to bash them because everyone has to start somewhere just a review of our experience.

In somewhat defense for them, NOBODY wanted to touch that holley system everyone said they hated them (including speed inc, and pcmforless) So we are switching to a newer gm computer out of a 98 silverado with a 350 vortec.

And as far as burning a chip...Only the 93 lt1s had that the rest of them had tunable computers just like the ls cars just not quite as fast...They're out of date but not quite that out of date lol
Old 08-19-2008, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea i understand, he seemed to be very helpful as far as trying to explain everything but I'm guessing he done the same thing with the timing on this truck. I'm going to retard the timing some on his truck for saftey. To me his dyno numbers seemed a little low 330RWHP and 408 RWTQ. He has a .030 351 with a 224/230 roller cam, trick flow heads, roller rockers and forged pistons with about 4psi of boost. One problem I feel he has is that the engine is pretty high compression so I asked the tuner if we needed a meth kit but he said no. I guess I still think he does. I feel if I start pulling timing then it will start dropping HP.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

they mostly do turbo mustangs. they have a nitrous capri too, but they're all 5.7-6.0 down in eddyville. so those aren't exactly slow, but they aren't very consistent either. seem like a knowledgeable group but i don't know if i'd take my f body to them

Quick Reply: anybody delt with Lund Motors in Waukee Iowa?