Something else or Police Officer
5.19%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Which should I join?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm gonna take all this info in and really consider my options.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AF does have enlisted Physical threapy assistants, the key is assistants. You can't be a Physical Therapist in the AF without a college degree and a commission. AF has a huge medical career field for enlisted side as well, go spend some time talking to a recruiter, and listen carefully, then believe about half of what he/she tells you. If the med field is something that you want to get into talk to some people in that job in the military and see what they say about their job.

Most importantly, don't sign anything until you are 100% sure that's what you want to do and you have it listed specifically on your enlistment contract. If you decide to join on an open contract without a job listed, you could end up really getting screwed over and hating your whole military career.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:15 AM
On The Tree

I think we have given this guy enough information and it is now time for him to man up and make a move. With these simple things in mind...

Wanna do anything for solid cash in the civilian sector? I recommend you enlist in the reserves or guard and finish school as well. Military Salary isn't so hot unless you have enough time in, this goes for O's and E's as well.

Wanna do something to be a bad-*** so it fills a gap in your life? Then well you know where to go but I can assure you money isn't there either.

Degree = money,

Military = not really... at least I don't do it for the money.

If you are interested I would suggest enlisting as an OR tech (68D) for the Army as a reservist... get some more school under your belt and apply for the Army PA school (Fort Sam Houston) and once you are done with that you will have a masters and be el capitannn. Go to your civilian life except for deployments and one weekend a month/annual training and make your PA salary. Not as good as a docs, and you do more of the work but hell nothing comes easy. NOTHING

/fread
Old 01-09-2009, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's a lot of good input for you. A lot of tech fields are available.

Combat troops have the most danger and therefore prestige. If it doesn't bother you to be a non-grunt then it makes it easier to decide.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm not military but I've looked into joining and I've been in Iraq for the last 3 years so I'd like to share my thoughts.

I was considering joining the marines because they have the cool camo lol. Actually I feel that on a pride factor the marines is the way to go. If you want an easier enlistment then navy or air force. I would personally never join the army.

Like some have said don't believe **** from a recruiter and whatever you do DO NOT let them talk you into a job you don't want. I've met too many soldiers stuck in jobs they hate because the recruiter said they could change after they got in.

There are forums out there for people considering the marines, and I'm sure the other branches as well. I forget the one I was looking at before but do some searching and you'll find one.

I doubt the conflicts over here will end any time soon so you're bound to get deployed a time or two. Iraq may end in the next couple years but everyone is shifting to Afghanistan. Army is doing 12-15 months, the rest are 6-7.

I don't know how all the jobs are but I know that military mechanics don't know ****. No offense to any mechanics on here but the military just doesn't teach anything. And the equipment is too simple to challenge anyone's skills. As a civilian mechanic here in Iraq I've met a lot of retired mechanics that are now contractors. They all have a chip on their shoulder thinking they are the best mechanics in the world and can't even diagnose the simplest electrical problems. Every one thinks the military is the standard by which all other things are judged But I have yet to see anyone doing anything they couldn't have learned in the civilian world. Yeah military training is free but not always the best or even good. I'd never hire an ex military mechanic as anything other than a beginner.

But anyway it sounds like you've decided on the marines. Just do your home work so you know what to expect from day one. Figure out which job you want and don't settle for anything else.

Oh don't be one of the fools that wastes all his time and money partying. Put some money away, and get as much education as you can on the military's dime.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

I'm gonna go talk with the recruiter sometime next week that way I can have the weekend to clear my head. And no i'm not 100% sold on the Marines its more like 40-20-40 AF-MARINES-Go back to school.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you are wanting money for school and want to at least be around the military w/o a comitment look into coming over here as a civilian. I honestly don't know why the military is using so many civilians now. The actual wages for the employees are not unreasonably high, $15-$22/hr, 72-84 hrs/week with hazard pay. But the amount of money going to the companies is rediculous. It's the big wigs that are raping the government and tax payers, not us employees. I know soldiers get pissed to see civilians making so much money over here, and it makes it hard for the military to retain people. I don't want to get off topic in your thread talking about all that, but if it's something you'd be interested in check out this website: dangerzonejobs.com. You have to pay $50 but I've heard it's a good one for finding a job out here. Also KBR (kbr.com) is the biggest and easiest to get on with. They also suck ***** and pay the least but it's better than nothing, and still better than staying at home making next to nothing. PM me if you have any questions that you don't want in this thread.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by t_raven
Well if you are wanting money for school and want to at least be around the military w/o a comitment look into coming over here as a civilian. I honestly don't know why the military is using so many civilians now. The actual wages for the employees are not unreasonably high, $15-$22/hr, 72-84 hrs/week with hazard pay. But the amount of money going to the companies is rediculous. It's the big wigs that are raping the government and tax payers, not us employees. I know soldiers get pissed to see civilians making so much money over here, and it makes it hard for the military to retain people. I don't want to get off topic in your thread talking about all that, but if it's something you'd be interested in check out this website: dangerzonejobs.com. You have to pay $50 but I've heard it's a good one for finding a job out here. Also KBR (kbr.com) is the biggest and easiest to get on with. They also suck ***** and pay the least but it's better than nothing, and still better than staying at home making next to nothing. PM me if you have any questions that you don't want in this thread.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by t_raven

I don't know how all the jobs are but I know that military mechanics don't know ****. No offense to any mechanics on here but the military just doesn't teach anything. And the equipment is too simple to challenge anyone's skills. As a civilian mechanic here in Iraq I've met a lot of retired mechanics that are now contractors.

what field are you in over there?
Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 AM
Launching!

Exclamation My personal opinions and feelings... To each their own!

Everyone in the military has a pissing contest. A bunch of people here have brought up good points... This guy below me... is the type of guy who likes to claim more than he is worth. Granted he brings good points, it pisses me off for him to talk as if he encounters this **** all the time. I don't want to get into it anymore than I have because it REALLY makes me mad and is very touchy.

Originally Posted by Awake455
Making good money and being in the military don't necessarily belong in the same sentence...at least not until after several promotions. Just thought I would warn you. Nobody joins the military to get rich.

As long as you understand you will not have all that much time to take college classes while in. You will get time for a class or two here and there, but the mission comes first. A lot of people who say they want to join for college classes and college money are rather frustrated on that front as the time for classes is quite limited. There are, after all, 2 "wars" going on.

Having your future intact, doing something bigger than yourself, and doing something meaningful with your life...well...if you choose your job wisely the military can be a way towards those ideals. Make damn sure you pick something you will enjoy cuz chances are very good you will be doing it in places you would rather not be.

It takes a special (in a good way, not a window licking way) person to become a marine. I think I read a comment once that, if you aren't sure if you can be or want to be a marine, then you should not go to the marines. About the only thing as tough or tougher than being a marine would be a navy seal, army ranger, or army sf.
With all this being said. I see you have thought a lot and came to a bunch of different points in which you are unsure of the direction to take.

As stated previously, you have to do what you want to do and what is best for you. To make it as plan and simple as someone can. If you don't feel your getting everything you want or need, don't do it until you feel comfortable!

Things I would personally take into consideration are as follows:
What you are looking to get out of the military. IE: College, a trade for later in life, a solid check for a few years, a good life story.
Everyone joins for different reasons, you have to sit down and choose what is your reason.

If its college, It's basically any branch... So think what means the 2nd most important thing to you.
Say for instance its a trade, then look into what branch offers you job. After finding which branches offer your job, think of the 3rd most important thing to you.

If its a solid paycheck for a few years, look at possible special duty pays you can get with each branch or job, to maximize your profits/benefits. Also, look into promotion rates. I know the Navy can be harder to gain rank than it is in the Army. So after all that, decide. I say this for one reason. You can hear a million different tales or all these "crazy stories" and they can persuade you to think differently than you normally would. When I joined, I did exactly what I said and I absolutely love what I do. When I decided to pick peoples brains (After I already signed) I got nervous, a little weak minded. I had 2nd thoughts. But after it was said and done... I am overall happy. I am not doing 20 yrs, but have enjoyed my years in and glad I did them.

Everyone has there own way of explaining it. I can promise you that whatever way you go, you will have your good and bad days as if you would anywhere else. Could you possibly be a cook and happen to get blown up by an IED... Ya, but can't some drunk driver strike you and kill you to? YA, and probably a lot more than some "terrorist". So don't go crazy over these horror stories. Also, don't think bootcamp is going to kill you or make you a superhero... It's all on you, let it teach you or let it hurt your feelings. The military is all about what you put into it!

Oh, and if you have any questions or concerns, you can PM anytime you want. I would be more than happy to answer each and every one of your questions and clear up any possible misunderstandings you may have got from others. If I can not find the answer for you, I will contact someone I know that can, and get the info you are requesting.

Sorry for the story book, but I felt a serious and down to earth post was needed. For those who felt bashed... Realize it wasn't meant as a "knock" on your branch, unit, job, etc... It was my personal feelings. As for the guy I have talked about making it more than it is... **** YOU! Your the reason people at home worry about their loved ones more than they need to. (Oh and I read the other posts on this thread by you so don't feel I based my opinions on your first and extremely moronic thread).

Sorry ahead of time if I get this thread locked.

Hopefully everyone enjoys

John
Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

ok i hope im not too late here but as for the one guy who said he was 19 and making 40k a year that is total bull **** what did you get advanced to e-6 in a ******* year i dont think so im an e-4 with 3 1/2 (married so i get dependent BAH) in and i dont make 40 ******* k a year dont listen to alot of people, and in your original post you said you want to see the world if thats true join the navy i mean for real we do 6 motnh deployments and stop at at least 5 different countrys and no offense to any marines or army but you said you want to see the world and thats not going to happen with any other branch you will see iraq woo hoo and maybe get stationed in germany or somthing but still thats only one place. with all that being said if you do join the navy you need to go aviation you do not want to be stationed on a boat compared to the life of a deck seamen or anyone who has to go on a frigate or cruiser and live there aviatoin community in the navy is spoiled, take me for instance im in a helicopter squadron and when we deploy we take one helicopter or two depends on where you are going and about 15 to 20 people and go on small boys IE frigates destroyers cruisers alls we do is work on the helicopter and stick together we dont stand any watches that the boat people do or participate in any of the drills they do **** i remember being on the equator and the boat guys all dressed up in full fire fighting gear doing drills while us helicopter guys are on the flight deck chiling in chairs shootin the **** lol. What ever you do make sure you pick a job thats transferable to the civilian world and aviation is a great one i have 5 months left in and im already getting job offerings from boeing, if you are in it for the fun and thrill then do it i dont think you will find any where else where the comrodarie is so great or will find better friends then you will in the military but like every one says be careful and dont listen to the recruiters they have a certain number of people the have to recruit every month and will tell you anything if they need you bad enough. im not going to lie for the most part i have hated the navy and the last 4 years but if i could go back i would NOT have changed it because believe it or not it will mature you up real fast and give you great training and even greater experiances for free not to mention all that good collage money please pm me if you have ANY questions at all

Last edited by DCsLS1; 01-10-2009 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If your thinking of AF or Marines....you will end up joining the AF. I see it all the time. People want to join the Marines to be a badass, but 13 weeks of bootcamp scares them. So, they then take the easy route and join the AF.

I have pride in knowing that if I was to join another branch I would keep my rank and maybe even get promoted, where as if someone from any other branch joined us, they would lose their rank and have to go to our bootcamp. There is a reason for that.

Marines are not pussies(some squeek through) and we dont **** around.

The airforce is about as civillian of a job you can get in the military. You sound like you want Airforce or Navy. Pride of Belonging is cool, but you get that in the easier brances too.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

^true about swithing branches but what do you mean "easier branches" i know the air force is a gravy train but you cant say anythings "easy" until you have tried both
Old 01-10-2009, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

By easy I mean less PT, easier rifle qualifications, easier PT tests, more civillian type atmospheres, less yelling....yada yada yada.

Im not saying the actual job is easier, but the military aspect of it is. Todays military is weaker in general. Soccer moms are ruining the military because they dont want their precious kids to be yelled at.

Look whatever you do, I would stay away from the Army. Unless you want to work with fat, criminal dropouts. They consistantly lower their standards every year because their recruiters suck. They just moved the active duty age limit to 40...LOL. So you could be a fat 40yr old drop out that smokes weed and has felonies and still get in the Army. Plus they will give the normal kids $40k in bonuses to join because they have to work with **** heads.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Launching!

ss1129... Your an idiot...
Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Wow

I may have come across as a bit abrasive but my points remain:
-Those of us in non-combat positions owe it to those taking fire to do the best job possible to support them. As such, pick your job wisely and find something you will like doing.
-Military personnel can get really busy during a deployment and time for online college classes can become rather scarce. You are always encouraged to better yourself.
-Nobody joins the military to get rich. Over time you can advance and make more money, but those who are financially sound in the military spend wisely. Lots of things are provided for you, lots of services are available to you (housing, food, tuition assistance, etc).
--sometimes, even in non-combat military jobs, you find yourself in a combat situation. You will be confidently trained in how to deal with it though. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to be in combat...but let's be honest the military pretty much specializes in combat. If you are dead set against combat I suppose there is the conscientous objector path but not wanting to fight and joining the military is a contradiction. I will point this out: say whatever you want about military training but they do know how to train you to handle a combat situation. Even as I admit that I have a few issues with army training, I don't have issues with how they train you to handle possible combat situations. You do lots of drills, lots of variations of possible scenarios. You head out with a very high level of confidence in your abilities as a team. You have their back, they have yours. That kind of confidence, that kind of dedication to each other...that can be hard to find outside the military.

Remember this though....many many many more soldiers have come back home than have died. I don't want to minimize or trivialize in any way injuries of military personnel, but many many more have come home without injuries than have with. Even in the stickiest part of the Iraq war, there were numerous US cities where your life was in more danger than Iraq. I'd be interested to see the stats on how many US motorists died or were injured during the past 7 years compared to US military personnell killed or injured in Iraq. Percentage wise, I'm guessing it is safer to be over here than in the US. Food for thought.

Last edited by Awake455; 01-11-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-11-2009, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

It really doesn't matter what service you join, all services and all job fields are going to have pro/cons.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

i think the best advise would be going to a real military forum and look for the job your interested in. you will get a lot more answers. for the Marines i used to look at these:
http://forums.grunt.com/forums/
http://forums.military.com/1/OpenTop...038&f=67819558

also go to military.com. they have forums for all of the branches. take your time and chose wisely.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Good post F8L_LS1
Old 01-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Teching In

[QUOTE=Awake455;

It takes a special (in a good way, not a window licking way) person to become a marine. I think I read a comment once that, if you aren't sure if you can be or want to be a marine, then you should not go to the marines. About the only thing as tough or tougher than being a marine would be a navy seal, army ranger, or army sf.[/QUOTE]

These types of comments always make me laugh. Only some one who either has no idea what he is talking about or someone who is a little to impressed with himself would honestly belive that just being in the marine corps can compare in any way to being in any of the groups mentioned above. I mean come on get ahold of yourself the marines arnt the end all be all.

Quick Reply: Which should I join?