Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Btz ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Btz ?

ok so i am trying to figure out when i go up for btz and if i dont get btz when will i put on Sra. I am a 4 year and came in as a e-2 on feb 19th 2007. thanks...
Old 04-03-2009, 02:53 AM
Launching!

you should go up for btz the quarter before you would sew on if you are selected and its only six months early so i believe it would be at your 30 month mark. or feb 19th 2010
Old 04-03-2009, 04:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jester177
you should go up for btz the quarter before you would sew on if you are selected and its only six months early so i believe it would be at your 30 month mark. or feb 19th 2010
You also have to take account for the 6 month advantage of coming in as an Amn instead of AB.

See, wasn't it an awesome idea to do away with orderly rooms? My advice would be to go to MPF/promotions and ask them when your window is. Also, you had better enroll in at least 1 class and start doing some serious community service.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:02 AM
12 Second Club

Coming in with rank you would get promoted to SrA at 20 months TIG. So if your selected for BTZ program then you would be promoted 6 months early and they usually hold the BTZ boards every 1/4 for the upcoming months.
Tate
Old 04-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Teching In

college, honor guard, AADD, etc.

try to cover local area, base, group, sq, flight as far as volunteering goes.

and lastly, do your job well!

i can say without a doubt college is the biggest, i went up for BTZ having honor guard, AADD, base, local, group, sq, fl volunteer but ZERO college. i was passed up for another dude who had prior college but ZERO volunteer work.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:28 AM
12 Second Club

LOL that's what happened to me

little hard to take classes when your working 14 hr days and weekends LOL
Old 04-03-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Work performance, unfortunately, has such low importance in BTZ promotions it's silly. The more volunteer and college you do the better chance you have. It sucks, but people with 0 volunteer and crappy work performance tend to win because they have COLLEGE.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:51 PM
Dex
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Malicious
Work performance, unfortunately, has such low importance in BTZ promotions it's silly. The more volunteer and college you do the better chance you have. It sucks, but people with 0 volunteer and crappy work performance tend to win because they have COLLEGE.
Yea aint that the truth, i got beat out by a guy that was never at work did a lot of volunteering and was taking college classes. I still won in the end we tested for staff the same time i made it and he didnt
Old 04-06-2009, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

^^^ nice ^^^
Old 04-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Teching In

another thing...to make btz u have to have an awesome writer write your package...i've busted my butt doing all that i could...but im most likely not gonna get it due to the horrible nco's i have in my shop...so i threw btz out the window...i'll settle for my sow on date of 14 Feb 2010
Old 04-19-2009, 03:18 AM
TECH Regular

Depends on the level you are competing at. Some squadrons are like that though (how it was for me at Ramstein) where the more Volunteer and school you did the better your chances were. Reason for it is squadrons which have multiple AFSC's under it can't possibly weight work related as much as they can the other stuff because everyone's jobs are so different. I had 4 bullets about being coined by 4-star generals, mission enhancement of Katrina relief from NATO, etc etc. It would be impossible for a Comm nerd to compete with that when he would have "software updated all computers, now compliant" type stuff. Volunteer/School are the two things that are universal and therefore make it much simplier for them to scrutinize them. I had a crapload of volunteerwork for Freedom Fest at Ramstein, the bazaar they do, and a few things where we planted flowers and stuff around the base. What killed me (and why my NCOIC didn't even put my package through) was I only had 1 college course and felt I couldn't compete with others. I probably would of gotten it too.
Old 04-19-2009, 06:07 AM
Launching!

That is also why the whole system is jacked up. people who actually have to work more than 8 hr days on the flight line cannot compete against a 9-5 desk jockey. and your NCO bent you over with no lube. you must have really pissed someone off.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:30 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most(not all) of the NCO's at the FD where I'm stationed don't want to put forth the effort to write a package
Old 04-19-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Quoted for truth. Though, on the same token, even in a situation where you could potentially be more competitive with college and volunteer work, it'd be hard to deny someone who's been coined by a 4 star general hehe... My package for BTZ was maybe a hair above the average guy at best. I had lots of volunteer stuff, but no college. I won 1 of the 2 stripes simply because no one that was eligible was even put in for it, mainly for disciplinary reasons.

Originally Posted by BigT2002
Depends on the level you are competing at. Some squadrons are like that though (how it was for me at Ramstein) where the more Volunteer and school you did the better your chances were. Reason for it is squadrons which have multiple AFSC's under it can't possibly weight work related as much as they can the other stuff because everyone's jobs are so different. I had 4 bullets about being coined by 4-star generals, mission enhancement of Katrina relief from NATO, etc etc. It would be impossible for a Comm nerd to compete with that when he would have "software updated all computers, now compliant" type stuff. Volunteer/School are the two things that are universal and therefore make it much simplier for them to scrutinize them. I had a crapload of volunteerwork for Freedom Fest at Ramstein, the bazaar they do, and a few things where we planted flowers and stuff around the base. What killed me (and why my NCOIC didn't even put my package through) was I only had 1 college course and felt I couldn't compete with others. I probably would of gotten it too.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 317BORN
another thing...to make btz u have to have an awesome writer write your package...i've busted my butt doing all that i could...but im most likely not gonna get it due to the horrible nco's i have in my shop...so i threw btz out the window...i'll settle for my sow on date of 14 Feb 2010
So why didn't you write your own package then?
Old 04-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Teching In

You know what I asked if I could...but got shot down...because its supposed to be an NCo's responsiblity...its cool tho...i'll make staff the first time so im not worried
Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what I asked if I could...but got shot down...because its supposed to be an NCo's responsiblity...its cool tho...i'll make staff the first time so im not worried
That **** aint a big deal anyway. Staff is easy to get first time just dont expect the Tech test to be the same though. It is very possible if you apply yourself to make staff tech master first time. Then you can rub it in others face when you pass them up. I really dont care I plan on retiring as a master my wife is mil too so we make plenty of money. But the tech position at my next base got me pumped because they let techs crew there so I swear I am in no rush making the next grade.

But remember this! ONLY you will take care of you. Medals, EPR's, awards all that ****. It will make you more experienced then your NCO's if you know your ****. Just something that I have learned through the years. I pcs'd 2 times and about to be 3 I will finally get a commendation because I looked out for me. Sometimes you gotta look out for yourself.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigT2002

it just sucks that people use PRIOR college as bullets for BTZ, which shafts the hell out of the guy who served his time doing things for others and the Air Force.

testing for staff next month though
Old 04-21-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

True, don't worry about it. I didn't get a package written for me either. I had lots of volunteer time, almost finished my CCAF and not even a package written. What can I say...people hate me I guess.

It's ALL in who writes the package, none of it has to be the truth...(i'm a witness of nco's writing packages; i've seen it)

So the military isn't what i thought it would be...long story short.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jester177
That is also why the whole system is jacked up. people who actually have to work more than 8 hr days on the flight line cannot compete against a 9-5 desk jockey. and your NCO bent you over with no lube. you must have really pissed someone off.
You have no idea. I've been doing a 24/7, 365 job since I got in....its almost impossible for those who are doing 4 on 3 off 12hr shifts to get out and do volunteer work. College was next to impossible for our job at Ramstein, you couldn't do it at work it was literally impossible soooo much going on.

Quoted for truth. Though, on the same token, even in a situation where you could potentially be more competitive with college and volunteer work, it'd be hard to deny someone who's been coined by a 4 star general hehe... My package for BTZ was maybe a hair above the average guy at best. I had lots of volunteer stuff, but no college. I won 1 of the 2 stripes simply because no one that was eligible was even put in for it, mainly for disciplinary reasons.
There were only 3 ppl going up for it and neither had college or volunteer work but they automatically got it. I made sure my now AFMC Functional Chief knew wtf he did. But I made staff first time so WGAF.

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
So why didn't you write your own package then?
Not only because they wouldn't let him, but as an A1C that isn't going to be anywhere near the level it would have to be on. Now if he did the whole thing and then took it a mentor NCO, he might of had a chance.

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz

But remember this! ONLY you will take care of you. Medals, EPR's, awards all that ****. It will make you more experienced then your NCO's if you know your ****. Just something that I have learned through the years. I pcs'd 2 times and about to be 3 I will finally get a commendation because I looked out for me. Sometimes you gotta look out for yourself.
So right, if you want any of those decorations outside of the WAPS point ones, you will have to do them yourself. We had an A1C who did her Volunteer ribbon herself for all the hours she did AADD and she got it.

Originally Posted by sparky1397r
it just sucks that people use PRIOR college as bullets for BTZ, which shafts the hell out of the guy who served his time doing things for others and the Air Force.

testing for staff next month though
God I hate that!!! How we had the only two ppl in my shop in Ramstein got them was they already had their Bachelors so when they transfered it over to the CCAF they got that. BS!

Good lucky brotha you'll do fine! Hows the TACP thing goin?

Quick Reply: Btz ?