Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Any Navy Seals logged on to LS1tech?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Boehlke
It sounds like your questions would be best answered by quiters, Jibbby. They're the only ones who know what made them break down.
Nah... The instructors can answer too because they watch the quitters until they quit and those who don't... Those who don't quit are keen on this too, because they see others "break" under the pressure.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by 01turdbird
Visitng a training center dosent mean you know crap about a unit. I am sure I could make air force basic training seem hard to someone just visiting. FYI SF training is a year long or more depending on your MOS.
As trivial as you make that sound I personally made it thru the actual Air Force basic training program and do know first hand what that is all about.. You really can't knock me on that one tough guy

I didn't just visit and get stationed in Columbus AFB, in Mississippi for 4 years to smell the roses and get private tours. That was immediate hell for me actually coming from sunny California.. I did actually end up working on some of America's finest flying war machines at the time. Unfortunately being 6'5" and 230lbs I just couldn't fit in any of the damn things to actually fly one..

This is why I may have a regret and possibly a slight fascination for the Navy Seal program.. I think physically I would have been better suited for that. Reason being I'd like to think I am a very good swimmer and not too shabby of a surfer either.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The fatigue aspect is quite real though, in the sense of breaking these tough men mentally(that's the tool, fatigue)... That is to say, they quit because their mind says this is too much to handle. We all have a breaking point. Training like BUD/S tends to find that point rather quickly for most.

The mental aspect is where most are separated from any serious warrior training... The body simply follows instructions from the mind. A broken bone can usually recover quickly in a young man... A broken mind... not so much. Some men realize their mind holds the key only after having dropped out before... and go back and try again, many of those completing the training.
Excellent post...Thank you..
Old 05-24-2010, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
As trivial as you make that sound I personally made it thru the actual Air Force basic training program and do know first hand what that is all about.. You really can't knock me on that one tough guy

I didn't just visit and get stationed in Columbus AFB, in Mississippi for 4 years to smell the roses and get private tours. That was immediate hell for me actually coming from sunny California.. I did actually end up working on some of America's finest flying war machines at the time. Unfortunately being 6'5" and 230lbs I just couldn't fit in any of the damn things to actually fly one..

This is why I may have a regret and possibly a slight fascination for the Navy Seal program.. I think physically I would have been better suited for that. Reason being I'd like to think I am a very good swimmer and not too shabby of a surfer either.
Sorry about making it seem like I was putting down AF basic. All I meant was you can make just about anything seem hard if all you are seeing small handpicked parts.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

the shitty part about bud/s is even if you pass you still have to be selected by the team by way of a sit down if they dont like the way you carry yourself or think or act your out. sure you've completed the training and to ALL special forces units, will respect that, trust me. and as said they are the best at what THEY do, every unit has its own focus and specialty, to which get chosen by the needs of the mission or task at hand. except the chairforce they just sit back and chillax while the real men do the work lol
Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Nah... The instructors can answer too because they watch the quitters until they quit and those who don't... Those who don't quit are keen on this too, because they see others "break" under the pressure.
I've had plenty of classmates quit beside me in the schools/places I've been. Sure we were all tired, sleep deprived, physically degraded, freezing cold/sweltering hot, etc but aside from the sucky conditions I couldn't tell you "why" they quit and the rest of us carried on. I'm talking that moment of self awareness when they decided it truly wasn't for them. Everyone I've ever had this conversation with, be it Army/Air Force/Marine/Navy SOF, we're all in the same boat.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

best thread ever.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Boehlke
I've had plenty of classmates quit beside me in the schools/places I've been. Sure we were all tired, sleep deprived, physically degraded, freezing cold/sweltering hot, etc but aside from the sucky conditions I couldn't tell you "why" they quit and the rest of us carried on. I'm talking that moment of self awareness when they decided it truly wasn't for them. Everyone I've ever had this conversation with, be it Army/Air Force/Marine/Navy SOF, we're all in the same boat.
I get ya on that... I'm just looking at the overall answer being almost the same across the board... "I just couldn't see doing it anymore" or a similar answer, once they get a little rest and can think straight again. Awhile later, many seem to decide that was their mistake... quitting itself. During training, it's basically a job for the instructors to weed out those who's minds aren't in it... The rest, particularly before Hell week in the BUD/S program, is almost simply physical fitness (gone awry).

A long time friend of mine dropped out of BUD/S and when I asked him why, he said, "The damned instructor made me do 6 stinkin' pull ups and he just WOULDN'T count past FIVE!" I laughed a little, but then saw the pure anguish in his eyes as he told me all he wanted to do at that moment was beat the guy into unconsciousness... But that he figured he'd just get a beat down for various reasons, like being totally exhausted after 30-odd pull ups (and the rest of his day) and the fact his instructor was already a SEAL with full training and some 9yrs service. I felt bad for him, but I laughed again anyway... It was just too darned funny... to me. That friend left the NAVY and joined the Corps... THAT'S when I knew he was truly mad over it.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

No one ever quits bud/s right, it's the instructors fault or they were med dropped right?!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by anarchy99
No one ever quits bud/s right, it's the instructors fault or they were med dropped right?!
That's a moronic comment, right after we've been talking about why people quit... Nobody said the instructors made them quit or that they're med dropped. While many are med dropped, that hasn't even been discussed yet.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

I never said the instructors made anyone quit, just quoting that your buddy is obviously out of BUD/S because the instructor couldn't count past 5, not in any part because of your buddies obvious physical prowess on the pull up bar.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

I never said the instructors made anyone quit, just quoting that your buddy is obviously out of BUD/S because the instructor couldn't count past 5, not in any part because of your buddies obvious physical prowess on the pull up bar.
He's out because he gave up when the instructor held a 5 count... It wasn't a case of the instructor not being able to count, but a refusal, just to see what the candidate would do, or how long he'd keep trying.

That happened about 25yrs ago, so he's out... altogether.

You weren't quoting anything... You we being an ***.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

guilty as charged.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say no one is degrading SEALs... What about...

or...

or.. the comparison here, looking like an angle to suggest army Rangers are better based on running?

And those were all from page one. ALL special operations groups deserve serious respect for what they do. SEAL training is considered the most intense by many, and perhaps most, probably due to it's length and dropout rate. Ranger school has a massive D/O rate as well, but isn't quite so long. I think a man can complete either, if only he has the mindset of something along the lines of "I'd rather DIE than quit!"

FWIW, I think many BUD/S candidates drop out strictly because of all the time spent in the water, which is cold and choppy most of the time. It's by no means the only reason, but that water can brutalize a mans mind in no time.
and u dont consider that backlash after someone is degrading another branch that they are in, if you cant laugh at the actual animal seal then ur panties are in bunch
Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive trained alongside a few and I'll say it takes a unique person to be a Navy SEAL

...and please, out of respect for those gentleman who have volunteered to do what 99.99% of the general population cannot, capitalize all four letters - SEAL

a SEAL is one bad ****
a Seal is a stupid f'king animal

Semper Fi
Old 05-25-2010, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Yun Gunz
and u dont consider that backlash after someone is degrading another branch that they are in, if you cant laugh at the actual animal seal then ur panties are in bunch
I was merely pointing out what happened as we saw it. No other branch had been degraded. If saying you think the SEAL is the best overall seems degrading to others, it's you who has his panties in a bunch. Most of those I dealt with in service agreed, SEALs are indeed "all that."

I have way more respect for Navy SEALs than to not find it rather offensive that anyone may use the animal to define or ID them. As a pejorative or joke, it's disrespectful. Any actual SEAL may laugh, but they get to choose as the rest of us. I choose to dislike it.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

I posted the picture of the baby Seal. It was found last week alone on Bud/s beach behind the O course alone and seaworld came and picked it up. I thought it was funny as **** and with all the myths and nut swinging going on in this thread, rather appropriate to poke fun at it. A marine wouldn't get upset if I posted a picture of a bulldog, and I don't get upset about little baby seal pictures.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
You guys are tough, I give up.. I don't claim to know all that much and I am not a Navy Seal. I just was very impressed with the Seal program and it's training when I visited and spoke with a few Navy Seals first hand.. I can't seem to say anything right on this thread..

Carry on lads and have a good day, I apologise if I offended anyone..
I havent seen anything that should offend anyone. I have seen SEALs and other SF members in action at a training facility not far from where I live. They are all elite and deserve our respect. Watching these guys do live fire excersises is awe inspiring.

I have a great friend who is a SEAL. He is one of the most humble people I know. And he brings me cool **** from overseas <big grin>

One of my proudest posessions is a U.S. flag that was carried during operations in Iraq that he gave me.

I dont think asking about one elite group takes anything away from the others. They are all the best America has to offer and I would buy any one of them a beer.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:59 AM
Village Idiot

This thread got really good, and civil, well almost civil... That's what I was looking for, that's great.. We are getting some quality replies now, thank's fellas..

I've heard that even Demolitions and Tactics can break and rattle you as well, is that true?. Apparently your already spent, tired and asleep then all of the sudden all hell break loose just like that.. With explosion sounds, structured Kaos, Pyrotechnics, darkness, etc.. Total disorientation is what I was told. Apparently, one minute you're completely sound asleep and the next minute it seems like your in pure hell..

Is that accurate? I'm I describing parts of demolotions and tactics training correctly?

One the instructors at Coronado that I got to speak with told me it's not that common but he has seen a few guys freak out and even quit in that phase of training.. Just break mentally and freak out..

Can anyone describe and talk about Demolitions and tactics? I would be interested in hearing the lowdown on that phase of the Seal training...

Last edited by JIBBBY; 05-25-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Village Idiot

best thread ever.
Why do I get the feeling you are a Navy Seal.. Your just liking this thread way too much..

You guys play it stealthly even on the threads too?

Last edited by JIBBBY; 05-25-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Navy Seals logged on to LS1tech?