Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Took my asvab today... which job to pick? Army bound

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:18 PM
formerly turbo4.8 (2014-06-25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Took my asvab today... which job to pick? Army bound

I'm 20 years old and will be 21 in March. Iv have been highly considering joining the armed forces. Preferably the Army. I took my asvab today and scored a 74 which qualifies me for pretty much any job they offer. I was looking into 88k watercraft operator or either 88L watercraft engineer. Im very good with my hands and mechanical knowledge. I was hoping to hear from some people enlisted in the army about other jobs or even the ones i mentioned to get more insight on which to pick, etc. The recruiter told me i'd be starting as an E3 which i was curious if anyone knew the pay scale on that? Im also curious if anyone knew which particular jobs got bonuses etc. Thanks everyone and joining means there will be a CTSV in the garage very very soon!
Old 11-15-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

$1706 now and 2011 should be $1738 as far as mos thats up to you, Pick something you like and can use in the civ world. I been in 7 years and im a ssg (drill sergeant) 11b i really cant use this in the civ world unless its law enforcement. Good luck
Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 PM

im curious if i qualify for the civilian acquired skills program since iv worked at 2 different boat yards for the past 4 years? if i were to go into the watercraft operator. and yes i do plan on using it when i get out as i also have been going to school for criminal justice and will continue until i get a BA which i hope with time in the service should give me really good odds to get into the marine law enforcement aspect. from my research i think if i do qualify that might bump me to e4 off the bat? anyone know how that works?
Old 11-15-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

well if you go in at e-3 you will have to wait awhile to get e-4. (With a waiver) But if your interested in the law enforcement future should go MP or infantry. Plus the bonuses are bigger
Old 11-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Infantry!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 PM

doesnt infrantry put you right up in the action? my buddy is a cavalry scout but idk if thats what i want to do? im not trying to kill myself everyday for the next couple years. i dont mind hard work but id def get tired of getting shot at. .. idk if that makes sense since im looking military. its hard to explain lol "im trying to work smarter not harder" hope that helps to explain ... ps. as infantry im assuming 11b? what exactly does your day consist of?
Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

No offense to any 11B on here (I worked with them for 4 years) but with your ASVAB score, you will NOT like working as an 11B.

One of my good friends was an 88K and she loved it. Freaking awesome job.

If you want a bonus and crappy working environment, go with 11B.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 AM
TECH Regular

unless u got some stashed away money some where i dont see you having a CTSV on E3 pay and that "bonus" your talking about you wont get it all after your done AIT. youll get lil bit of it a few week after but then the rest will come yearly
Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a 91A abrams mechanic and deployed in afghanistan. I came into the army as an e3 and just passed my year mark this month. I wanted to be a 15 series and work on coppers but it wasnt open. I scored an 87 i think and was only offered like 15 or so jobs at the time, it depends on what they have open at the time. Same goes with bonus, i didnt get one but other people did. I work mostly as a 91b here a wheeled vehicle mechanic fixing matvs maxpros and other vehicles. I think being a mechanic in the army sets you up for success once you get out. You can get your ASE cert here, lots of training and driving vehicles. And you will be in combat, esp if your on a recovery team. Thats how it is in my unit. hope this helped you out some what
Old 11-17-2010, 08:08 PM

alright little update. went back to the recruiter today.had him look up again what i qualified for and well there were a lot of different openings then a couple days before. saw an opening for 12Y Geospatial Engineer. Comes with a $4k bonus as well. Had to jump at the opportunity. I leave May 10, 2011 for BT. It might seem like i wont be able to get a V but since iv seen them as low as $20k for a super clean on with less that 40k on the clock. I already have a co-signer, so as soon as i get the first part of the Bonus she will be in the garage. But as you can see, my garage is stacked and i will get that damn car!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

well congrates on picking a job! never heard of the one you picked. but i you got a 4K bonus i think you will get all of that after you graduate your AIT but on after taxes. that how mine was i got a 9K bonus when i joined but after taxes got like 5 and some change. way to go on thinking youll afford the V on E3 pay not that you cant just dont expect being able to do much with a base pay of 1730 then since you live ing the barracks (married??) they charge around 250ish for food a month, plus SS taxes, fed taxes, then 100 for the first year for your GI bill so your left with 1100-1200 so like 650 a pay check. so ya you could do it but then think of all you other bills and insurance. but hey im not telling you want to just trying to help out
Old 11-17-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats! Where are you going the BT? And listen as a drill sergeant I see PVTs come in all the time and wanting that new car, But the truth is they get what they want and in a few months find out they cant afford it. Then you already threw away whatever on a down payment and they come get your car. Not telling you what to do just suggesting that you wait awhile and get a budget set up on base pay.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

12Y?

Got to say, I had to look up what that was.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:17 PM

BT in Jackson AIT in Belvoir. yea i understand its expensive as hell but i also have a couple things in the works here at home before i leave which should leave me ahead a little. Im gonna end up waiting a year or 2 before the V. Im just gonna focus on figuring my life out and building the camaro i have. Gotta fix up the truck nice and the camaro be4 ill allow myself to buy anything else. Gotta be smart with the money... cant **** it away

haha yea the recruiters had to look it up again and again. and they had hardly any literature on it. had to call to find out more info! lucky me i guess?

and if for some reason i cant figure out a way in a year or 2 to afford a V ill just ***** myself out! any takers??
Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trust me, you SHOULD be able to afford it.

The reason a lot of E3-4s cant afford crap is because they spend $1k a month on partying. Not saying that its bad but limit your spending and you can live pretty damn comfortable on the pay. Plus, when you get to your unit eat in the damn DFAC. Its already coming out of your check so use it. I cant tell you how many guys wasted $300-400 a month on just eating out too.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:39 PM

thanks! anything else i should be aware of? personally i work for the state now as a grounds worker part time. i make about $600 every 2 weeks. and i live alright after bills. i def know how to keep money in my pocket. look at my sig. tell me if you know anyone else my age that has what i have and hasnt had mommy and daddy take care of them. not many. Everything i own is payed off as well! Its not hard, you just have to be smart, and USE THE SYSTEM TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!
Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 PM
12 Second Club

whats up man i just got out. remember you can renegotiate your contract if you want some good jobs to look at are in aviation. survey will get you hooked up after you get out also. Human intel collector guys had a pretty BA job and other special operations guys. Also after taxes youll be taking home about 12-1300 a month for e3 atleast. get ready to put up with alot of bs especially as a private.

Quick Reply: Took my asvab today... which job to pick? Army bound