Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Air force members

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air force members

I will be flying to Lackland for basic training hopefully in february..

any advice? I plan to use Usaa to buy me a ss/z28 maybe a vette..what's prudent? any jobs i should try to stay away from?
Old 11-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Launching!

hahahaha dont let the ti get into your head all it is is a mind game,do what your told do it right and you will be fine. that and female ti's are the worst. as for jobs its all on what you like, if you want to be near aircraft go for a crew chief,munitions, and or pol (fuels). power pro if you like dealing with electricity and what not, or finance, services and stuff like that its all on what you want dont let them con you into a career you dont want like a cop. that job would suck IMO. good luck though
Old 11-25-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i'm not going for cop, that's for sure. I keep hearing mindgames...all i want to do is not **** up, i figure i can weather 6 1/2 weeks.

i'm interested in a job that will translate into something highpaying once i get out. thanx
Old 11-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Launching!

air traffic control or a crew chief would easily be better then a cop
Old 11-25-2005, 02:40 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jester177
hahahaha dont let the ti get into your head all it is is a mind game,do what your told do it right and you will be fine. that and female ti's are the worst. as for jobs its all on what you like, dont let them con you into a career you dont want like a cop. that job would suck IMO. good luck though

You can be a firefighter and then when you get out of the military become a civilian contractor in the middle east and start out making $75,000 a year . I'm a firefighter at Seymour Johnson AFB in NC and we are basicly over paid janitors. It's a fun job, it just depends on what you make of it.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Excal
I will be flying to Lackland for basic training hopefully in february..

any advice? I plan to use Usaa to buy me a ss/z28 maybe a vette..what's prudent? any jobs i should try to stay away from?
DO NOT BECOME A COP AND STAY AWAY FROM SERVICES AND VEHICLE OPS!!

GOOD LUCK
Old 11-26-2005, 03:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Play the game and you'll be just fine. Don't sweat the pittly stuff, you won't get fired for it.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should have had a garunteed job before you left for basic... No offense but that was dumb on your part. Personally I din't by a car until 8 months after I got to my first duty station. You won't have time to by a vehical until maybe Tech school. I would save your money untill your first base in my opinion. Oh yeah make sure you bring shower shoes...i din't and i fucked up a pair of 80 dollar shoes. Umm.. remember your reporting staement because you'll be saying it a lot. "Sir/Mame blah blah blah reports as ordered... not reporting - reports... Oh yeah don't be chow runner or the latrine Queen. I was the chow runner and from experience and i can tell you...you will hate life. You get yelled at and catch more **** than anyone.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jester177
air traffic control or a crew chief would easily be better then a cop
air traffic controller... not from what i hear.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im a RC-135 Crew Chief Basically Heavies I cant stand the annoying fighters. Anyway I would say dont be a crew chief. BE A COMPUTER GUY of some sort. Those dudes are making money when they get out. That way if you dont like how the AF is treating you come re-up time you can get out and do that **** and good money. Also while you are in you must GO TO SCHOOL! Dont be like some dudes that never go to school because when you get out you have to use your GI bill for the stupid classes that you could have taken for free when you were in. If you want to go to school dont sign up for a job that is going to have a high deployment rate. You made a good choice though w/ the AF. I aint gonna even start w/ the car thing its your money you spend it as you wish. Just be aware of how much you are going to get paid vs the cost of the car and insurance. Good luck.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:15 PM
Teching In

latrine queen wasn't that bad.... you could always try for aircraft metals technology, it's machining and welding, we also learn CNC, that pays good on the outside.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what jobs have a high deployment rate?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not many that aren't a high deployment rate anymore. Cops, Forward Air Controllers, PJ's, Combat Control, aircraft maintenance, trans., you name it
Old 11-26-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Whatever you do, don't volunteer for anything. No matter what. If the TI selects you for something, then so be it. Secondly, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. Seriously, don't say $hit when the TI is around unless you're required to. Don't be stupid and try to hide things your not supposed to have in the posts of your bed, or other areas. The TI's have been doing this for awhile, and they know all the hiding spots.
As far as a job goes, If you are qualified, go for a comm job. I'm a Satellite Comm tech, and guys in my career field are getting out after 4 years with a security clearance and making $50,00+. Some are making $80,000+ with a degree. As mentioned before, get your free schooling done while you are enlisted, and save your GI bill for your Bachelors or Masters degree after you get out (if you decide to)
Don't let them sucker you into becoming a cop, services, or admin troop. BTW, mind telling us your ASVAB scores? I'm sure some of us could recommend a career field knowing that. To get into comm, usually you need about a 60%+ average across all categories. Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm waiting on my unmotivated recruiters to take me (for the asvab). They said Mcgwire AFB keeps losing credit checks, so i've had to wait for a bit. I'm 23 so it's a must. They gave me a test that's supposed to be within 6-8 poins of the actual score. I did horrible in my math i still scored a 74. I've been cramming a SAT book so i hope to surpass that or at leats match it.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Seagraves#85
DO NOT BECOME A COP AND STAY AWAY FROM SERVICES AND VEHICLE OPS!!

GOOD LUCK
I agree. I've been a weather forecaster for all of my 17 years(so far). Great job. It's aloso one of the jobs that has a reenlistment bonus, so does air tradffic control. If you like computers you can try for a programmer. They get a good bonus too. Cops work 12 hr shifts all the time
Old 11-26-2005, 09:14 PM
NKAWTG...N

Cop isn't that bad, alot of drone work when your stateside, but your alot more likely to be deployed in this day and age. ATC is a high paying job outside of the USAF, but I hear its pretty hard to get into (and don't screw up and fly me into another plane). But ya listen to the other guys, I can really only give you an officers perspective.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Teching In

my only advice for basic is get your *** squared away and you won't have any problems... just be a sharp troop.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you're single and don't mind being away from home, deployments can make you a lot of extra cash. You can double your monthly income on some deployments.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

deploying is great... i wanna leave again.

Quick Reply: Air force members