Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Anyone here been in the Coast Guard?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here been in the Coast Guard?

I quit my job last Monday cause my boss kept giving me **** for no reason like he always does with almost everyone else in the shop. So now I'm giving in to what my dad and my sister keeps telling me "you ought to go join the Coast Guard". So I went to a recruiters office Wednesday and I signed up to take the ASVAB test on Tuesday 9am. I'm sick of these shitty $7/hour jobs and I cant hardly find better pay in my area (Elizabeth City) other than joining a military branch. So has anyone here been in the Coast Guard?
Old 04-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am in the Navy, and considering joining the Coast Guard as a rescue swimmer. I actually hear there bootcamp is pretty rough. What job are you considering?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm really thinking about a Machinery Technician. http://www.gocoastguard.com/Rates/MKrate.htm
I'v always heard to the basic training the CG is pretty easy. I have a friend who joined the Navy and he says it was almost nothing. Heres a page about the CG's basic training. http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capemay/recruittraining.htm
Old 04-17-2006, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Ive been in for about 5 years now. Got any questions or anything feel free to ask. Im stationed not to far from E city. A guy on my boat lives in E city and drives to work. I always hear the boot camp is nothing like it used to be. It wasnt bad when I went through 5 years ago and Ive heard they have softend it up since then.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got a question. Are the chances of being stationed where I want to be great? I know its not a 100% garantee of staying where I want to be, I'm just wondering.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Josh_101
I got a question. Are the chances of being stationed where I want to be great? I know its not a 100% garantee of staying where I want to be, I'm just wondering.
Its never 100% but you do have a decent chance of being some where in North Carolina. How the Coast Guard works is they split the US into sections. I think NC falls under District 5. That includes VA,NC,MD, and parts of DE and PA I think. So how it could work is you go to the recruiter and tell him you want a "garunteed disctrict" and he will put you some where in district five. It might be on a land unit or it might be on a Coast Guard Cutter but it will be in that area. You can work that into your contract. I got a garunteed school. So as soon as I came out of bootcamp I went right to my school and learned my job. I saw you want to be MK. They have schools for that you might be able to get garunteed school. The MK school is in yorktown Va I think. The chances of you getting stationed on a Cutter are pretty high. Especialy first coming out of boot camp. But it would be a cutter some where close to NC if you got the Garunteed disctrict.

if you click on this link http://www.uscg.mil/d5/index.html#

and then click units it will tell you all the units in District 5.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:51 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

What about officer's school with a college degree and then a commission?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
What about officer's school with a college degree and then a commission?
ya what he said!!!!!!
Old 04-18-2006, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Aaaahh, crap. I dont know what happened but it got rescheduled for next monday.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see you wrote e-city. I'm at the airstation here. If you want to guarentee you'll come back to this area go aviation (AET). You can go straight to the airman program out of basic. If you get a guarenteed district, you'll end up in district five and either get Atlantic City (where I did my airman program) or here. I'm a AET and life is alot better than in aviation than it is on a boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Believe me on that one. If you actually want to see how the CG is, let me know and i'll show you around the base. You've probably seen me in town, Loud *** black trans.
You brought up OCS (officer candidate school), if you have a 2 year degree I'm pretty sure that is enough to be considered to get in, but i know it's not easy. But you'll never know if you don't try.

Go DELAWERE BLUE HENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-23-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

a friend of mine just transfered into the coast guard reserve from marine reserve.

i need to ask him how it is

brook
Old 04-30-2006, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DVS99TRANS
I see you wrote e-city. I'm at the airstation here. If you want to guarentee you'll come back to this area go aviation (AET). You can go straight to the airman program out of basic. If you get a guarenteed district, you'll end up in district five and either get Atlantic City (where I did my airman program) or here. I'm a AET and life is alot better than in aviation than it is on a boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Believe me on that one. If you actually want to see how the CG is, let me know and i'll show you around the base. You've probably seen me in town, Loud *** black trans.
You brought up OCS (officer candidate school), if you have a 2 year degree I'm pretty sure that is enough to be considered to get in, but i know it's not easy. But you'll never know if you don't try.

Go DELAWERE BLUE HENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont know if I ever saw a T/A like yours, I dont go to town very often at all. I'll look into airman program though. I still havent taken the AVSAB yet, the COA screwed me for the second time last week and I hope I'll take it tomorrow.

Last edited by Josh_101; 04-30-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Good luck on the ASVAB. That is where you get some clout for "garunteed items". I think Boot has changed since 1980, I went MK for 10 years, I have enjoyed all the MK time, from Boats to stations. Then changed to AD that is AMT now. I love the Aviation time now. Make it fun for 20!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Should I go for the Reserve? My recruiter told me that I'll have a good chance at staying in my home town if I go in the CG reserves. I remember there was a website for looking for civilian jobs at most any CG base. The one here seems to start off like $14+ per hour for some of the jobs they have here. I could do a civilian job here and be on reserve dutie for one weekend a month making an extra couple hundred dollars when I move up in the ranks. Does that sound good?
Old 05-23-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OnewayDave
Good luck on the ASVAB. That is where you get some clout for "garunteed items". I think Boot has changed since 1980, I went MK for 10 years, I have enjoyed all the MK time, from Boats to stations. Then changed to AD that is AMT now. I love the Aviation time now. Make it fun for 20!
I gotta take the ASVAB again, man I suck at math I did ok on everything else and did really good for electronics and shop/mechanics part of the test.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Do you need a higher score for a school or rate? Should do better on the ASVAB, 2nd time around! Pick up an ASVAB study guide at Borders or any other book store study the math. I would not go for location, Go for a job or rate you want and the location will come around. Don't know to much about the Reserves.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:35 AM
TECH Regular

I am also stationed in e-city as an AET. I just transferred here from corpus christi, tx. yall might have seen my truck running around town, it is a orange and white dodge ram with the black 20's and camper shell. anyway, if i were you i would do like i did. i joined with the guaranteed district (17th district which is alaska) with the sole reason of maybe finding another job i might like (i knew i wanted to go aviation). the AMT rate requires a combined ASVAB of 220 in the following fields: AR + AS+ EI + MC and AR at least 52. AET is the following: EI + GS + MK = 172 and AR at least 52 and AST: AS + MC + VE = 162 and AR at least 52. I am not sure if you are able to get on the facilities here in e-city or not, but i am sure myself or DVS99TRANS would be willing to setup a tour time for you to check out the aviation side of the house.

PS. be on the lookout for my camaro running around mr. loud *** black trans am ..lol

pic of the one to watch for

Old 06-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Teching In

i like that^
Old 06-11-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Regular

hmmm after looking at that picture again, i really need to use a tripod next time....lol
Old 06-14-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been keepin an eye for you. We'll have to take a little trip out to the by-pass... Your at AR&SC right???

Quick Reply: Anyone here been in the Coast Guard?