Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Airforce advise/experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Airforce advise/experiences?

I have just started on the paperwork to join up and i was wondering what type of experiences (places traveled, gripes, cool ****, etc.) those who have been would like to share. Also what types of jobs did you hold, and how well do they transfer over to the civilian workforce? I have been considering Flight traffic control or Paralegal. I have an AA so i'll be going in as an E4. Wish i had finished my BA, could have gone in higher, Oh well.
So please share.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

How can you go in higher than E-4 without being an officer? Post in the Military section for more insight.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:14 PM
SSU Moderator

There's a WHOLE forum for that. I will say this, just going from family and friends' experience, get your job before you sign. Also, if I were you, I'd finish school and go into an officers program if they'd let you. More money right away.
Old 05-04-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ Bingo. Finish college and go through an Officer training program (ROTC or OTS). The extra pay alone is worth your time and effort, unless there's a specific job you want to get that is not an officer position. Serving as a military officer is big kudos in the civilian world afterwards too.

FWIW, I'm commissioning as an Air Force officer tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Sign for 4 years....not 6 (seems to be the norm). Look at ATC..the money is awesome whenever you get out (their bonus are good too).

Why don't you finish school? Your first day of basic you'll kick yourself in your own a$$ for not staying (i did).

I just hit 5 years.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Went to and completed the police academy and decided that it would be in my better interest to pursue a different line of work. Not that i couldn't do the job, it's just one of those realizations that it was not right for me. I don't see it as a waist of time, but more as a learning experience.
Did not finish my BA because i never really started, due to the above. I would have to wait two years before going in (USAF) and i am already 24. As i stated in my first post i want to pursue a career in law. I seem more adept at being able to decipher laws and their various loop holes. I have always been one of those guys who learns the rules and tries to bend them for all they are worth. It's simply my personality. I do plan on continuing school, ultimate educational goal being a minimum of a masters degree.
Is it hard to continue school while in the service, once you get settled into a specific job?
Old 05-04-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, why don't you go for a commission and be in the JAG Corps as an Air Force lawyer?
Old 05-04-2006, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
I have just started on the paperwork to join up and i was wondering what type of experiences (places traveled, gripes, cool ****, etc.) those who have been would like to share. Also what types of jobs did you hold, and how well do they transfer over to the civilian workforce? I have been considering Flight traffic control or Paralegal. I have an AA so i'll be going in as an E4. Wish i had finished my BA, could have gone in higher, Oh well.
So please share.
I have been in for 10 years (E-6) and I never heard of anyone coming in as an E-4. Maybe an E-3, but then again I am not up to date on new enlistee entitilements. Make sure you think about it before you leave school cuz once you hit basic your gonna wish you would of stayed in school, but if you are looking for a change of plans then the Air Force is a big party once you finish basic and tech school. You also want to make sure that YOU pick the JOB that YOU WANT and nothing less!!!

Good Luck,
GONZO
Old 05-04-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well i am an SrA (E-4) and no i would check that again i do not think you will come in as an E-4 you will be an E-3. even if you had a BA or BS and enlisted instead of going officer you would join as an E-3.
I have been here in the midwest the whole time except for my deplyments and it has been pretty cool. The two biggest things i can say are sign for 4 and see if you like it, and do not judge the air force on your first base.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
Went to and completed the police academy and decided that it would be in my better interest to pursue a different line of work. Not that i couldn't do the job, it's just one of those realizations that it was not right for me. I don't see it as a waist of time, but more as a learning experience.
Did not finish my BA because i never really started, due to the above. I would have to wait two years before going in (USAF) and i am already 24. As i stated in my first post i want to pursue a career in law. I seem more adept at being able to decipher laws and their various loop holes. I have always been one of those guys who learns the rules and tries to bend them for all they are worth. It's simply my personality. I do plan on continuing school, ultimate educational goal being a minimum of a masters degree.
Is it hard to continue school while in the service, once you get settled into a specific job?
Depending on your job, it can be very difficult to take classes. If you are extremely well focused (which i'm not ) then you can probably manage.

P.S. One of my friends enlisted after he'd completed his Psychology degree (i've seen the diploma...wasn't just BSing). He came in as an E-3...so the guys that said that above me are 100% correct.

Edit: I'm an SSgt (E-5). If you have any supervisory responsibilities, it's hard to slip out of work to go to school. Keep in mind....Service Before Self!
Old 05-04-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Cool thanks fellas. I'll have to talk to the recruiter about the E-3/4 thing and i was seriously considering either lawyer or flight traffic control. Anyone know if the rumors about the high suicide risk for the latter?
Old 05-05-2006, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dunno..ask yourself if you feel suicidal making $150,000 a year. Doubt it. ATC guys make big bucks, and its only high stress if you choose to work at Atlanta, Chicago, etc. Great job, alot of my friends are civilian controllers.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:31 AM
Teching In

I been in the Af for 5 years and am now a E-5. The one thing you do want to make sure when you join is that you positively make sure you get the job you want . I am a hydraulic mechanic and its a pretty cool job but in maintenance you could be working 12 hour days 6-7 days a week. Truthfully get a desk job 8-9 hour days only 5 days a week for the most part. If your intrested in being a traffic controller you will get some hefty bonuses when you sign up for that job or reenlist also the job market is preaty good for that job as well. Once you get out of tech school you can go to school again to get your BA and then try to become a officer and make some real money.
Old 05-05-2006, 05:14 AM
Restricted User

Maybe you Aim boyz are slower on getting in promotions as you are staying promotions Army here and I have half a company of guys that came in as E-4's, always been that way with certain MOS'. I'd finish school, but if not, at least look into the Officer programs if your that mentality....FWIW I couldnt do that bullshit, thought about it and covered down on Platoon leader after PL when they fired, or whatever, and cant stand the officer way of thinking, or lack of. Sorry, but when your dicks in the dirt this long you'd feel the same.
On to assignments....mission/deployments/training areas:
Texas (well they want to be a nation)
Hawaii...Guam, Philippines, and some other SE Asia areas
California
Alaska....JTF-6 Mexico Border, Egpyt, Jordan, Israel
Tennessee...Germany, Macedonia, Greece, Austria, Turkey, Romania, Kosovo, Albania, Hungry
Hawaii agiain...Afghanistan, Turkey
soon to be Arizona.

Seen some amazing **** and the realization when you first hit boots on ground is new everytime, every different place you go.

Gripes: Pay. Seriously it can suck, but if you dont join for the money then every month (or twice a month) its like a bonus for doing something you love. If your joining for college $, or to figure out how to move away from mom and dad, stay away from ppl like me I only have 4yrs left to retire, and hopefully the packet doesnt get kicked back.

My recommendation, save ALL paperwork. As insignificant as it may seem at the time, you will need every copy of your contract, your pay, your promotions etc...the time you feel that the little PAC/Admin person is doing a good job and you dont need a copy, your fucked. GL

Charlie

Since I'm not AF, I figure I'd share this also: If I could go blue, I'd want to be a TAC-P, or PJ...of course I'd love to fly a fighter but I get motion sick in a car, boat or as a passenger on a plane so thats out for me
Old 05-05-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Nice thanks again. No i don't think i would feel suicidal making big dough like that, i'm way too layed back. If i am able to get it i think i'll go for ATC, then finish school.
Cat3- Damn thats a crap load of places, how long have you been in? I deff. want some of that action, i have only been outta california three times and they were all within a 100mi. (vegas, rosarito). I can only hope i get to go to that many places in my life.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CAT3
Maybe you Aim boyz are slower on getting in promotions as you are staying promotions Army here and I have half a company of guys that came in as E-4's, always been that way with certain MOS'. I'd finish school, but if not, at least look into the Officer programs if your that mentality....FWIW I couldnt do that bullshit, thought about it and covered down on Platoon leader after PL when they fired, or whatever, and cant stand the officer way of thinking, or lack of. Sorry, but when your dicks in the dirt this long you'd feel the same.
California
Tennessee...Germany, Macedonia, Greece, Austria, Turkey, Romania, Kosovo, Albania, Hungry
soon to be Arizona.

Seen some amazing **** and the realization when you first hit boots on ground is new everytime, every different place you go.

Gripes: Pay. Seriously it can suck, but if you dont join for the money then every month (or twice a month) its like a bonus for doing something you love. If your joining for college $, or to figure out how to move away from mom and dad, stay away from ppl like me I only have 4yrs left to retire, and hopefully the packet doesnt get kicked back.

My recommendation, save ALL paperwork. As insignificant as it may seem at the time, you will need every copy of your contract, your pay, your promotions etc...the time you feel that the little PAC/Admin person is doing a good job and you dont need a copy, your fucked. GL

Charlie

Since I'm not AF, I figure I'd share this also: If I could go blue, I'd want to be a TAC-P, or PJ...of course I'd love to fly a fighter but I get motion sick in a car, boat or as a passenger on a plane so thats out for me
Under regular circumstances, the quickest you're going to make E-4 in the AF is 27 months (that's if you make BTZ). 36 months is the standard time. It's near impossible to pin on E-5 inside of 4 years (4.5 for me).

We have army assigned to our unit (96H i think)...there are plenty of them that make E-5 within 4 years.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
California
soon to be Arizona.

Charlie

Been there done that...
First of all, good choice with the airforce. When I was enlisted (Army) I went to Lowery AFB for my AIT or Tech School (AF speak...). Man they lived large, great food ect... They also live great in the field (AC, floors, showers ect...) only go for 6 months ect...

$$$ Well no one gets rich, but the pay is not bad. Evryone gets deployed now and any branch will allow you to serve foreword. See the world and all the ****, which is not bad. Lets you save big$, come home and drop mad cash in your car.

enlisted, NCO, officer, well not a real live officer, but you get it... been there done that. I love what I do becuas I am still technical, still very tactical and I can enjoy some officer benifits (name 1? ). Come to the dark side young one. Join the Army and fly! We need new warrent officers all the time and you will be flying in 6 months. Not busting your *****, just throwing an opinion. I have seen lots of post here about aviators, just a thought.

Ok now for another AF ?... I thought you guys still enlisted by field, not spefic MOS right? Anyways, good luck with you descions and we all thank you for your service.
Dave
Old 05-05-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Addict

^^^
Old 05-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Restricted User

Oh man...Dave, dont corrupt the young. Thats whats wrong now, no offense sanchez, but the Army should have stayed to the 5yr job experience for Warrants, and for flights, well, get some time under their belt before they let them go off to the fashion show. I am now under Aviation control and I guess I will have to get used to the relaxed and yet twisted way of the field now. It is different than the rest of the Army for sure.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IT'S all up to what you're looking for. i'm in the Marines, and i was stationed at Keesler AFB for about a year. the promotions are retartedly slow. unless you're super **** hot. and from what i've gathered, it's still a pain in the ***. as someone stated earlier, most people don't pin on ssgt under five years, that's rediculous. in the Corps we have some jobs that promote faster than others, but general pick up time for e-6 is 8 yrs or so.

Quick Reply: Airforce advise/experiences?