Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

ARMY AF/ GUARD guys inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:17 PM
JUICED96Z

Default ARMY AF/ GUARD guys inside

So here is the deal. I tried to go ARMY guard a few years back. They told me I was color blind in a shade of green (civilian doctors say I am not) and I failed the blinking light test because by the time I focused on it it was over. So no black hawk crew dog job for me. Went to do the physical check and was really out of shape and failed the duck walk. Yeah I have flat feet but they had us squatting forever and when it came to be my turn my legs were dead. Something that could be fixed with me getting in better shape I think hahaha.
They told me to get in better shape with my legs and come back and I never did. Was going to sign up for combat communications because I think the color thing even ruled out MP and SP.

I know I do need to try the boots on because with my feet the old jungle boots would kill me knees in about an hour because of the design of the heal (was Civil Air Patrol for 6 years). But I am fine in Hi Techs and Cocran Jump Boots so I would assume I would be fine in the ARMY issue boots.

Just to avoid a recruiter right now does anyone have a list of ARMY and AF jobs that you can do with color blindness?

I really wanted to go Crew Chief because my dad has been doing that for almost 27 years AF/GUARD mix but its not going to happen. They told me its because the wiring harness is color coded and I said no they are number coded and they just walked away.

Just now finishing my associates and I know a draw back of going active is a year deployment and GUARD is a lot shorter. Also know a guy that is going ARMY guard medic right now but if I was thrown on the front lines and being shot and did not have a gun I would not be a happy camper.
Wanting to finish my degree next semester then possibly try again since I am in better shape.

What's the age restrictions, I am almost 23 and I know I am fine for ARMY guard, anyone know the age cut off for Air GUARD and active for both branches?
If I went active something in tanks would be cool but again I bet that is ruled out from the color blindness.
Id go AF if I had an option also.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 07-22-2006 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to be a ANG crew chief around here you better look to Ft. Wayne. Our jets, here in TH, are going away around April of next year. We are getting some a couple new intel and special ops missions so if those interest you, you may want to hold out for a few months.

check out www.interr.ang.af.mil

I think they used to have a list of available jobs(not for the new missions) on there. Or call 812-877-5200 and tell them James Moore sent ya'
Old 07-19-2006, 01:37 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by King James
If you want to be a ANG crew chief around here you better look to Ft. Wayne. Our jets, here in TH, are going away around April of next year. We are getting some a couple new intel and special ops missions so if those interest you, you may want to hold out for a few months.

check out www.interr.ang.af.mil

I think they used to have a list of available jobs(not for the new missions) on there. Or call 812-877-5200 and tell them James Moore sent ya'

You crew the 16's down there? If so know MSGT. ****. Thats my father.

Yeah I know they are leaving, not a fan of Ft Wayne from some of the things I have heard.
Like I said since they said I was color blind looks like crew is out
I am just about done with aviation maintenance school. I will be able to work on jumbo jets but can not work on the fighters.

Really wish I knew the cut off age for active ARMY and AF

Going threw the hiring process for IPD and thinking of what I might do if that does not work out.
I have flat feet and that was hurting the process with the ARMY but found out I can get a waiver from my civilian doc.
If anyone has a list of jobs you can do with a color blindness for AF and for ARMY please post it up. I would rather not go threw a recruiter this early lol.
Being 23 I might be to old for active who knows...

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 07-22-2006 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Nope, I'm a supply bum
Old 07-19-2006, 02:30 PM
JUICED96Z

oh ok.

Wel the Air Force site has no info on jobs really.
For the ARMY, M1's are out, maintenance is out. Can still do comm.

ARMY site is pretty good, AF site needs some help.

M1's are out because they say you have to be able to read the color coded charts. I wish there was a waiver because I can and have read them....

Same with Crew Chiefs....

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 07-22-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:11 PM
Launching!

my cousin is an officer in the AF and is color blind.
he does body work
Old 07-19-2006, 04:29 PM
SCRWS6

cutoff age for army is 42, I`m a recruiter in california
Old 07-20-2006, 01:17 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by SCRWS6
cutoff age for army is 42, I`m a recruiter in california

Yeah you ARE the devil LOL.

I thought active ARMY cut off was a lot younger then that LOL.
I wonder what AF active is.

Was looking on the ARMY site (head over heals better then the AF site). They said nothing about normal color vision for a requirement for Forward Scout???

I always thought that just about all combat MOS's required that.

I know there are jobs I can do with the "color blindness" just a lot I want to do that they said I can not. I mean if you can work on civilian airplanes and they said you can not work on a 16 or 22 I mean come on LOL!

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 07-22-2006 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:11 PM
SCRWS6

Did you go to the MEPS or get told by the recruiter?
Old 07-21-2006, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude, need to spell check before you post!!!! Doesn't make you read any more intelligent...

just a suggestions....write you post in something like MS Word...let that do spell check automatically....

collor (m ultiple times...how much did you pay for your AA?)
assosiates
Old 07-22-2006, 08:45 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by SCRWS6
Did you go to the MEPS or get told by the recruiter?
MEPS

About 18k for my degree when it will all be said and done.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:27 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are alot of jobs in the AF that doesn't restrict color blindness. BTW, if you're going active in AF, it doesn't always mean you'll be deployed the whole year. Some jobs do, some don't. I'm active and I was only deployed for 4 months two months ago.

If you have AA already, I'd suggest that you get your Bachelor's. Cut-off for officers in AF is 27.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:28 AM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by bene
There are alot of jobs in the AF that doesn't restrict color blindness. BTW, if you're going active in AF, it doesn't always mean you'll be deployed the whole year. Some jobs do, some don't. I'm active and I was only deployed for 4 months two months ago.

If you have AA already, I'd suggest that you get your Bachelor's. Cut-off for officers in AF is 27.

Id never be an officer.....
I have seen both sides of the fence LOL. I come from a long line ARMY and AF enlisted. Granted the life is better and the pay is better in O.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

I had the same problem as you. I have an associates in automotive repair and the bitch at meps said I was color blind. They were nice enough to let me take a retest of the color vision, this time it was something called the "raw test" Basicially they ask you what color thier marker is. I passed that but yet still the Army liason at meps convinced me I was still color blind and I picked a job that wasnt dependant on it. They make you think you are color blind so it limits the amount of choices you have when they are in need of certain jobs. I dont have any proof of that, but Im still skepticle. But dont let Liasons push you around. Mine was an E8 but I still wish I would have told him to screw himself and go to a different meps or talk to another liason. (the people at meps who sit down with you and talk over your contract and help you pick your job/unit)

I had a friend who was an 88m (truck driver) in the active army and he was partially color blind. He wanted to reclass to a 21B Combat Engineer. He knew a Colonel who was a doctor who gave him the raw test I told you about and the Colonel signed off on it. Boom. He is no longer color blind as far as the military is concerned.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:23 AM
JUICED96Z

See I knew there had to be a way around it.

All my life I wanted to go USAF PARARESCUE. One of my shoulders did not drop done and my other one did. I was right around 12 pounds when I was born and was told that the doctor should have induced my mom early and if he would have it would have allowed my shoulder to drop but he did not. All thanks to an AF doctor. People kept telling me I would not be able to keep up with the swimming because my left arm extends a little farther then my right so I gave up on it and tried going ARMY GUARD. The MEPS doctor looked at it and said it was no big deal. I later talked to a few PJ instructors that knew my search and rescue background and the shuolder thing and they all told me that I needed to try my best to get in and sign up PJ and expected to see me down at INDOC.

I also have been looking at TACP (Tactical Air Control Party) www.romad.com (Recon, Observe, Mark, And Destroy) more schools you can go to, more bases (ARMY) and more chances I would assume for promotion since there are a lot more guys in it and more positions (correct me if I am wrong).

PJ and TACP are also all enlisted

If it works out for me now I think that it would be better then if it did back in 01. I am A LOT more motivated and mature now then in 01. Right now cars are my life and have been since 01 and I would give it up for a while to go TACP or PJ!
My mom has a colorblind test at work she is bringing home so I will see how well I do on that!

Took the test and it was from 2002 LOL. Out of 8 cards I missed two. One of them had two lines on it and after looking at it a bit longer I saw the other one. I saw all the lines after looking at them for a tad longer.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 07-27-2006 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:04 AM
JUICED96Z

Well I asked about my situation on specialtatics.com because I tend to get really good info over there and they have instructors that post.
One guy said that had a CCT student come through his schoolhouse last year who couldn't see certain shades, but somehow got into CCT. He did not know what he did or how the standards work.

I now know for sure there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Know I jus thave to figure out how to get to it LOL!
Old 07-27-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think AF cutoff for active duty enlisted is 30 or 31... i went to basic with a guy that was 32 and had to get waivered to go active duty... same token another guy was 36 and another 38, but they were going guard so I assume theres different rules. My dad's been active AF for like 28 years, if I can round him up in Qatar I'll see if he's got some ideas on a job that might be good.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:07 PM
JUICED96Z

Well I just found out you only have to pass 9 out of 14 of the Ishihara test to qualify for PJ/CCT! I think I have better then that.

I think its 27 for Active AF. My father is coming up on 27 years in, mix of active and GUARD.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe for Active Duty AF it is 30. I am currently Active Duty AF myself, and I also new a guy who was 27 in my basic flight.

I failed my hearing test for the job I wanted to go into. Just ask if you can get a waiver or see if the doctors that said your color vision was okay will sign a form telling MEPS about it. Thats what happened to me. I got approved by my local doctor and got a form from the surgeon general giving it an okay. I now have the job I wanted even though I failed the test at MEPS.

BTW, unless you enjoy eating, sleeping, bathing, and living in sand, I wouldn't go with the army. Trust me when I say, Air Force life is the best. However I can totally understand the "get some" factor with doing a blackhawk job as well. I am a flyer myself, and theres nothing like it.

Also, even though I am active duty, I have been in 2 1/2 years and still haven't deployed yet. And when I do, it will only be for two months. Depending on your job, you may not have deploy all the time like some will make you believe.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:31 PM
JUICED96Z

I remember whan I was in SAR school and it was on an ARMY GUARD training base. We were gearing up to go on a early morning mission and I look over and its a bunch of infantry guys just digining fox holes.
We came back in the late afternoon and they were still diging holes and it looked like they had just been puting the dirt back in and then starting all over. I asked them if thats all they do all day and the one guy was like yeah pretty much, gotta do something. I just laughed and went to chow.

Quick Reply: ARMY AF/ GUARD guys inside