Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

How to move my car around in the Military?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to move my car around in the Military?

I've been in AFROTC for the past four years. I'm comissioning as a 2Lt in May and will travel to Maxwell AFB in Alabama for a few weeks, then off to Vandenberg AFB in CA for a few months.

I'm wondering what the best route to move my vehicles is. I'm still unclear on all the details of TMO, but I know they won't pay to move my cars within the continental US.

I have 2 vehicles, a 1994 Honda Civic beater and a 1991 Trans Am GTA that doesn't see rain. I figured I could pay movers to transport the GTA, but I'd flip if they scratched it.

So... option b. Should I buy a truck and a trailer and move it myself? This is way more $$$ than I have, and I'll probably need to take out a loan. Also, covered trailers are much better for protecting my car, but are much more expensive. I'll also probably need to buy a beefier truck than I would for a regular flat bed auto transport due to the added weight. (...even more $$$ spent)

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Bill
Old 03-27-2007, 09:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

First off your a lucky guy for getting Vandenburg.....I was stationed there for four years....great place.
Second you can do what they call a Dity move and rent a truck and trailer and get paid for the mileage.As for the second car you can pay to have that moved or just wait until your home again then drive it out there.Theres not to many other options that I know of.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Thanks. Yea, I want to avoid putting mileage on the GTA if possible.

I checked out the DITY move, but I'll need to crunch some numbers to see what is more cost-effective.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:32 PM
JUICED96Z

If its going to only be for a few months I would leave it at home.

I know there is a guy on this site that does transporting and people are happy with his work.

Might search "car transporting" or something.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

just get a open wheel trailer if you stay in service you will use it again
Old 03-27-2007, 02:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You going Cali for training or is that your next assignment? I would leave the car you care for with your parents until you are settled in and have a place. Then since your a "O" you should be able to afford a tow rig and trailer no problem and move it then.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
You going Cali for training or is that your next assignment? I would leave the car you care for with your parents until you are settled in and have a place. Then since your a "O" you should be able to afford a tow rig and trailer no problem and move it then.

Don't do ANYTHING unless you've got a permanent station orders in hand. They can change your assignment without you even knowning, even at the last minute.

If your going to fill a slot at Vandenberg but traning at Maxwell, leave everyhting until you move to your PCS station.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Teching In

Maxwell AFB for ASBC (required for all butter bars), then Vandenberg for Space and Missiles Tech School.

I do not know where I'll be posted after that. It depends on how well I do in Tech School.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Whats The Prices?

Quick Reply: How to move my car around in the Military?