Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Uae

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Uae

I just got here a few weeks ago. Just curious what people like, know and did at this base. I'll be here for 4 months so I imagine I'll have some time to see things... Air Force deployments ***!
Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 AM
On The Tree

I'm assuming your at the same place, as me.Its tons of fun here.....
Old 01-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Launching!

my wife went there, said it was a joke. Air Force didn't even send her with a weapon.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there twice, outstanding deployments, would go back in a heartbeat. Get off base as much as possiable.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

All I really did was work, workout, play the hell out of my XBox 360 and sleep. I went downtown maybe twice, did some shopping but didn't do too much since I'd already been to Korea a few months prior. Services is always coming up with stuff to do so basically just check your email and/or read flyers they post up in the Chow Hall to see what's going on. They also plan a lot of trips downtown for a large variety of things to do, you should checkout the UAE Officers' Club, that place is unbelievable. They've got a gun range, paint ball range, HUGE pool and lots of other cool stuff to do. Oh yeah one more thing, DO NOT MISS YOUR BIRTHDAY MEAL, that meal is off the chain. The higher ups meaning Base Commander and below serve your dinner which consist of Steak, Lobster and some other stuff, by far the best meal I had over there. Oh yeah, be careful with the Sweet Tea they have in the chow hall, that sh*t is addicting.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Zeke34
All I really did was work, workout, play the hell out of my XBox 360 and sleep. I went downtown maybe twice, did some shopping but didn't do too much since I'd already been to Korea a few months prior. Services is always coming up with stuff to do so basically just check your email and/or read flyers they post up in the Chow Hall to see what's going on. They also plan a lot of trips downtown for a large variety of things to do, you should checkout the UAE Officers' Club, that place is unbelievable. They've got a gun range, paint ball range, HUGE pool and lots of other cool stuff to do. Oh yeah one more thing, DO NOT MISS YOUR BIRTHDAY MEAL, that meal is off the chain. The higher ups meaning Base Commander and below serve your dinner which consist of Steak, Lobster and some other stuff, by far the best meal I had over there. Oh yeah, be careful with the Sweet Tea they have in the chow hall, that sh*t is addicting.
haha that pretty much sums it all up. If you go downtown they have some good stuff for cheap. I got myself a full fitted suit with shirt/tie for about 80 bucks at the purple diamond. Go to the mall in Dubai where you can go to their indoor ski resort if you get the chance, it's badass. Otherwise on base isn't that great. Every activity is setup for the nonners in the evenings, even though the whole show and reason they're there is cuz of the flightline workers. And everything you can do is in nonnerville, the darkside only has a small *** chowhall that rotates between 4 different meals, but every day you can rely on them having chicken and rice, and the fire dept has a tiny gym. Not to mention all the nonners act like they're in high school with their gossip and drama. But have fun!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

I don't think he'll get a chance to go to Dubai, when I was there Dubai was off limits but maybe things might have changed with the different Wing King. Camaroguy is right about always counting on having chicken and rice. The flightline chow hall did get better when I was there, they actually had a lot of sandwich meat which imo was pretty good seeing as I wanted to eat healthy. I wish I would have gotten a chance to go workout at the Fire Dept's gym but couldn't do so due to work. One thing I wish I would have done while deployed is try to Clep as many courses as I could.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Dubai is open
Old 01-31-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

yeah dubai's open now. And yeah I forgot about the sandwich meat! It's about all I eat anymore over here lol! The cheesecake is good too lol. They really don't have a bad selection of food, you just have to get creative sometimes. Make a bacon, egg, cheese sandwich or BLT's, etc. etc. and when their waffle machine is working at the main chow hall OMG, those things are kickass!!!

And Zeke is right, it's a great opportunity to clep as much as you can.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

+1 for education, those testing guys are laid back as F%^&. I stayed in the Officers club hotel in A.D for 5 weeks
Old 02-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Al Dhafra, is that where you are? The base alone has a Pizza Hut, Subway and even a Baskin Robins of all things. Bring your own PS2 or Xbox controller and games, or borrow ones from rec and play your heart out. Good cardio room, good weight room. Mongolian bbq and surf-n-turf day every two weeks. Army and Marines go there for R&R. As deployments go, UAE is hard to complain about. There were guys in my shop when I was enlisted who would volunteer to stay for the maximum rather than deal with the squadron's carp back home.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry it took me so long to reply guys... I guess some underwater cable near Egypt was damaged several days ago and they just got it fixed... morale calls were cancelled and you couldn't serf the net... speaking of which the internet here sucks *****..

Yeah this is my 4th deployment, so its cake... the chow hall isn't too bad just tired of eggs.. I work the night shift so I don't get blessed with the best of meals. Yes I'm already hooked on that damn sweet tea.. i need to get off that ****.

Dubia is open and I just hit my 15 days last week... so yeah I'm sure I'll be hittin that up and Aubie Dobie or how ever you spell it.

Brodkill where do you work at? I'm POL...

Yeah I only took my weapon with me once on a deployment to Balad and there were 20,000 Army and a few Marines so it was pointless... oh yeah did I mention it was locked up the entire time I was there? hahaha
Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Aubie Dobie or how ever you spell it.
Abu Dhabi
Old 02-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

I went skiing at the Mall in July. If it wasnt to damn hot there I would move there.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks camaroguy... Yeah I heard it gets up to 140F during the hot months of August and July... I'll be gone before then so no big deal. Kinda chilly around here lately...

Word was that a Lambo and a Porche came up to the front gate here at the base about a week ago. Pretty nuts being deployed... and hearing **** like that.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
Abu Dhabi
Yeah, it turns out that city is real. And not just the place where Garfield wanted to send Nermal.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

no problem pipe and yeah I've been here the past 3 years in Jan and it hasn't been this cold before. It's that damned wind man!!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

That sucks that you guys were affected by the cable cut but glad to hear that you're back online. Although the internet truly sucks donkey ***** out there, it's better than not having anything at all. That's hella cool that you guys Dubai is no longer off limits and that you no longer have to wait a month to get off base. Please take some pics of Dubai and post them. I too hated the fact that I missed out on the good food because I worked nights but at the same time I always tried to hit up midnight chow at the DFAC when I could.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I have my digital with me but i forgot the cord to load the pics to a computer...might have the wife send me that.

I guess their still fixing the cable and it won't be fixed for 2 weeks but somehow they already have the net hooked back up.. whatever as long as its up thats all i care about.

Yeah its been really windy here... about a week ago it was really sandy and windy. A pain in the *** because I have contacts in my eyes.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

They gave wireless now, so the net isnt so bad here.

Quick Reply: Uae