Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

How many of you......

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008 | 12:27 PM
11 Second Club

Default How many of you......

Do highrisk activities, and have to let your command know of them, and as well, sign a paper stating you know the risk's envolved..

I am the safety guru for my command, and I just fell apon this old instruction that we had, and kinda laughed at it... When I get home I will upload it, and show you guys..
Old 08-05-2008 | 12:48 PM
11 Second Club

From: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

We have to do that **** here at the Fire Dept at Shady J
Old 08-05-2008 | 01:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think it is military wide, i know the Air Force does it for everyone.
Old 08-05-2008 | 03:01 PM
On The Tree

The whole military is so wraped around the whole saftey thing these days it makes me sick. Risk assesments for taking a ****,saftey breifs on mowing your lawn,online saftey classes and the list goes on.

what happened to the old military?
Old 08-05-2008 | 03:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah that stuff is pretty dumb! our commander is big on that!! also for motorcycle riders its a big hassle. my commander wants to sit down and have a talk with you before purchasing a motorcycle... WTF!!!
Old 08-05-2008 | 03:45 PM
On The Tree

ya don't even get me started on motorcycle saftey. what a joke!
Old 08-05-2008 | 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

^^^^Your'll tellin me. I am the Mentorship Program Cordinator for that crap..

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2008 | 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, its Air Force wide. It all comes down to trying to cut down on lost time from work caused by accidents. Can't really blame them, if you get hurt and are out of work for a few days, you still get paid but they don't get anything out of you. And its not like they stop you from doing anything.
Old 08-05-2008 | 06:50 PM
On The Tree

Its a bit to much if you ask me, I dont need somebody telling me how to wipe my 4th point of contact, how to run my grill,not to drink and drive,not to have sex with another guys wife,not to kill my self etc etc... Its just an officer with to much time on his hands, trying to look good for his boss IMO. I guess I am bitter about it, because most of the guys I work with are all grown men and NCOs.

Just because one idiot crashes his bike giong 160mph drunk and hits a tree, doesnt mean that you can prevent stupid people from doing stupid things, by making them watch a power point presentation.
Old 08-05-2008 | 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its funny how a job that can kill you is so obsessed about how I mow my grass or how I drive my car. Yet another reason I am glad to be retiring soon. We nicknamed our Battalion Commander "Safety Ken" because he was more interested in seeing what you did to prevent accidents than he was in the training that was being conducted.
Old 08-05-2008 | 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

but thats why they have it because some idiot crashed his bike doing 160 and hit a tree somewhere. its all because the younger guys(not all of them) that are too stupid to drive a car let alont a bike and do stupid ****. thats what gives the responsible riders a bad name.
Old 08-05-2008 | 08:19 PM
EW1
Launching!

Navy people know, It is all about the page 13's
Old 08-05-2008 | 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

This is what I was talking about...

Oh and by the way I wrote up 27 page 13's today... Freakin sucked ***.

FAIRECONRON TWO INSTRUCTION 5100.25A

Subj: HIGH RISK ACTIVITIES PROGRAM

Ref: (a) DOD Directive 1000.3, of 29 Mar 79 Safety and
Occupational Health Policy for the Department of
Defense (NOTAL)
(b) SECNAVINST 5100.10G, DON Policy for Safety,
Mishap Prevention and Occupational Health
Programs (NOTAL)
(c) OPNAVINST 5100.25A, Navy Recreation, Athletics
and Home Safety Program
(d) BUPERS INST 1710.11C, Administration of Navy
Sports Program
(e) BUPERS INST 5890.1, Risk Management Manual for
Navy Recreational Services Non-appropriated Fund
Activities
(f) OPNAVINST 5100.8G, Navy Safety and Occupational
Health Policy
(g) UCMJ Article 92

Encl: (1) High Risk Activities
(2) High Risk Activity Assessment/Counseling Form

1. Purpose. This instruction establishes policy and provides guidance in managing risks for valuable squadron personnel assets. This instruction is derived from the necessity to develop local command policy to manage those off-duty sports and recreational activities having the potential of dramatically impacting the capabilities of this command to perform its mission.

2. Background. Reference (a) established Department of Defense safety programs to protect personnel from accidental death and injury, including mishaps, which occur during recreational activities. Reference (b) provides additional guidance and assigns the responsibility to the Chief of Naval Operations for accident prevention and safety program development including a Navy safety program involving sports and home-related hazards. Reference (c) provides for the implementation of the Navy Recreation, Athletics and Home Safety Program.

3. Discussion. The Armed Forces do not provide any specific guidance concerning high-risk sports and recreational activities. However, references (d) through (f) strongly recommend restrictions on certain activities, through local command policies, that may adversely affect the command’s ability to perform its assigned mission.

4. Applicability. This program and its policies apply to all VQ-2 military personnel, on or off base. Failure of VQ-2 personnel to comply with the policy set forth within this instruction is punishable under the UCMJ, reference (g).

5. Action. Enclosure (1) shall be used in the determination of high-risk activities. Enclosure (2) shall be used to document any required counseling. Original copies of enclosure (2) shall be kept in member’s division officer record or suitable equivalent. All department heads will ensure and are held responsible for the compliance to this command policy.

6. Activity Classification.

a. Category I - Activities in which active participation is prohibited.

b. Category II – Activities that are prohibited while on detachment and in a ready status. Prior “one-time” counseling by an E-7 or higher within the individual’s chain of command is required for participation. In this category all approved activity counseling is nullified and void from the time the individual is in a ready status or two weeks from detachment.

c. Category III – Activities authorized only when directly participating in an MWR/ITT trip or activity, unless in a ready status or on detachment. In this category approved activity counseling is not required.

d. Category IV – Activities requiring a prior “one-time” counseling by an E-7 or higher within the individual’s chain of command prior to participation at any time.

7. Spirit of Instruction. The spirit of this instruction is to develop controls around those off duty activities considered high-risk. It is impracticable to list every sort of activity available now or in the future which may be considered high risk. Therefore, for those activities not listed within this instruction, the burden of proof lies upon the individual partaking in such activities. It is advised that the individual consult with their chain of command before engaging in questionable unspecified high-risk activities.

KEITH W. MAY

Distribution:
FAIRECONRONTWOINST 5400.1P
Appendix K (List I)

HIGH RISK ACTIVITIES

CATEGORY I

BULL FIGHTING MOTORIZED SKATES RUNNING WITH BULLS
JET SURFBOARDS OFFSHORE RACE BOATS

CATEGORY II

BMX/ FREESTYLE MOUNTAIN BOARDING SNOWBOARDING
BUNGY JUMPING PARACHUTING SNOWMOBILES
DOWNHILL SKATEBOARD PARAGLIDING SNOW SKIING
ICE CLIMBING SCUBA DIVING TRAIL SKATES
MOTOCROSS SKYDIVING WHITE WATER RAFTING
VEHICLE RACING SKYSURFING ULTRA-LIGHTS

CATEGORY III
ROCK CLIMBING

CATEGORY IV

BODY BOARDING WATER SKI SAND SURFING
HOT AIR BALLOONS SURFING WAKE BOARDING
JET-SKI/SEA-DO

Category I Prohibited activity
Category II Prohibited while on detachment
Category III Authorized MWR/ITT events, unless on detachment
Category IV Counseling required
Old 08-06-2008 | 07:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I can see where a lot of you guys r comming from, but let me give you a little story (ture one toooo).

My CC put together a saftey ride for all of the bikers on base. 2 groups of about 20-35 thru the hills and stuff. I rode w/ my CC's group in about 3rd place. As we are almost done (40 of 50 miles) We run up on the other group that are ALL pulled over w/ 4 or 5 sheriff cars there. (The other group had the chief of saftey for the base as the leader) We thought that some one had been racing and got busted. Well I get a call the next morning stating that the "cool guy" was on his 1st bike (GSXR-1000) that he bought about 6 days earlier. He wanted to impress his new found friends and try to pick it up comming out of a corner. Well as you can imagine, he went down doing about 50 MPH. He didnt get hurt but his brand new bike was pretty much FU*KED!! He was on a damn saftey ride.

I think some saftey stuff is needed for sure, but more hands on, not so much of the .ppt bu!!****!
Old 08-06-2008 | 04:33 PM
Teching In

wow, i do a lot of high risk activities according to that thing, i just dont tell them about it.

And another thing, whats up with AMC (AF) and there stupid motorcycle safety course. I own a 2007 Harley wide glide, and they are making me take a 3 day class to make sure i know how to ride. To make it even sweeter, they provide 150cc dirtbikes, oooooohhhh
Old 08-06-2008 | 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just had to fill out my high risk activity sheet yesterday for street ::cough::: :::cough:: I mean Drag Racing... I didn one before not big deal just that this time i don't need to go get a briefing from the commander.

Quick Reply: How many of you......